gandrasch

Reaction score
Hi,

it's the first time in my FM career that I really struggle that much with my tactics. They weren't perfect most of the time, but did work to an extent. But this year, regardless of what I'm trying, I struggle to get goals.

I'm playing as Arsenal trying to play Sanchez up front with Özil behind him. I tried both of em in different combinations such as F9/Treq or CF/AP, but I don't get any goals out of them.

I changed tactics, but still ended up fired for drawing too many games.

My shape is set to a 4-2-3-1 because I want to play my best players in their best position. I tried it with TI, without TI, the same problem occurs. I just don't score goals.

On the wings I have the typical WB(S)/IF(A) and W(S)/FB(A) combination, mentioned in some of the guides out there.

I tried it with a BWM(S)/DLP(D) in midfield, but felt too open, so I switched to DLP(S)/DLP(D). The DLP(S) could change to an CM, to get more options further down the pitch.

Started like this:
View attachment 119375

switched to this:
View attachment 119374

then to this:
View attachment 119373

and finally to this formation:
View attachment 119371

Results:
View attachment 119370
View attachment 119369
View attachment 119368
View attachment 119369
View attachment 119367
View attachment 119366

I have the same problem as you. No matter the tactic, my team creates a lot of chances but just can't score goals. Either my players are unbelievably wasteful or opposition keepers are just out of this world. I also keep my match preparation on Attacking movement.

I'm not sure if F9 and Treq is the best combo. Both seems to be more of a creator role who likes to drop deep and could occupy the same space. Using the same duties, I will probably consider a CF(S), AP(A)/Treq(if you don't mind his low closing down), IF(A) and W(S).

And with 3 playmakers(Treq and 2 DLP) and your retain possession TI, your buildup could be very slow as the 3 will pass the ball among themselves. I suggest not using more than 2 playmakers.

What kind of movement are you seeing from that front 4? Especially when you push higher up, I can see them getting compressed and not having as much movement as ideal. And if they aren't moving, they are much easier to defend, which makes the shots taken far less effective. I agree with vasilli - I don't like the F9 there and would go to a CF. I think you'll still get the link up play but better movement and more intent to score.

With a side like Arsenal, you are going to face a lot of sides that play very defensive. If you don't have movement and penetration, that will be impossible to break down outside of moments of individual brilliance. What can work wonders is actually going less attacking. Dropping from Standard into a Counter. You could even pull the advanced wingers back into the MC strata. This is where watching the matches tells you things that looking at a few highlights or looking at stats can't. You might have 20 shots in a match, but how many were genuinely good scoring opportunities, created by movement and interplay?

Also, does the Treq give you much movement for Ozil? When I've tried it in the past, I found the Treq was a bit static and too often marked out of the match. A simple Attacking Mid role can work really well with a player as gifted as Ozil.

For the two CMs, I would look for at least one of them to have a role that gets the moving forward. Especially as you have a winger - because he needs someone to cross to. Your forward is tiny (though he can head reasonably well), so a runner makes sense and helps create penetration as well.