Can't the best outta my star player - help needed please

• Thread starter Thread starter barcelonic
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 2K

barcelonic

Reaction score
Im playing in 2022 with mostly regens - i have one guy I bought for 26m and I can't get him to score...

Juan Manuel Santunione - ST (Treq)

I tried building my team around him - his stats are amazing and he has great technical skills plus finishing 20 and composure 15. He gets assists when i play him in his secondary role as AMC (Treq) but i've really no idea how to successfuly use a Trequartista striker

My other strikers are world class too and not the problem - one Poacher & one Advanced Forward (also two fringe players - poacher & another Treq)

I guess i need to know how to play a tactic which can make the most of Santunione - & for me that means goals! It seems as though the Treq role is a waste as a striker but this is how he plays (like Neymar i guess)

When i'm playing one striker, is there any way to use a ST treq?
And if I'm playing two strikers should i pair him with a pocaher or advanced forward? Should one of them be selected as target man?

Any tips on using Trequartistas would be much appreciated - I don't wanna see my season fall apart because even without him i've got plenty of quality in the side.

The only trouble is I've always had difficulty with Trequartistas, but particularly ones who play up front. I need to be able to understand this specific role a bit better so I can change my current 4231 att tactic for something which can let Santunione play in his natural role ,

A Trequartista's role is not to score goals. He will, by virtue of playing centrally in front of goal, but he's mostly looking to find and create space, draw opponents out of position and set up runners from deep or wide. If you just want him to score goals you're better off using him as an advanced forward, poacher or complete forward, this way he'll be looking to get in scoring instead of playmaking positions. +

thanks

i've trained him a new position in CM and he makes a great advanced playmaker too, but i still would like to play him in his natural position.

i'm not really that bothered if he doesn't score loads cus i've got two other good strikers who can score. But half the time i'm playing with one striker up front and the other half usually using a 442 - so if i have him up front with someone else what role should i be looking to pair him with?

And is it possible to play him on his own up front (if so, what formations suit this)?

thanks again :)

i had that trouble with RVP i just use him as a Complete Forward with either attack or support, if his stats match up he should score a fair few

How long have you had him? It might be to do with adapting. I signed an awesome striker with Swansea who couldn't score in his first few games with us but once he got the first one, he couldn't stop banging them in :D

lol im from swansea :)

he's newly signed, and i'm half way through the season with him now and he went 10 games without scoring and the media made a big fuss but to be fair to him i was playing him in midfield half that time, cus he also happens to be an amazing playmaker and i like to play my other strikers too because they r good and both consistent (ish)

i really can't complain with this guy cus his rating's always good with or without goals he brings a lot to the side
the trouble is when im not playing him as a Treq but want him up front he can play DLP, AF and CF roles but im really clueless about which roles are best when playing striker alone - ??

my 'solo striker' formation is 4-1-2-3 with the 3 being two wingers and a striker, so i guess more like 4-1-2-2-1
As im using wingers and not inside forwards and i have no target men in the squad yet, what role is best for a quality all-rounder like my regen?

Could you post a screenshot of him? it would make it a bit easier to draw a conclusion of how to get the best out of him, but remember its a big possibility he hasnt adapted yet ;)

I wouldn't say he's having any problems - and bear in mind half the time I'm not using him upfront.
Sidenotes - within what seemed like weeks of signing him I became one of his favoured personnel and he's the easiest in my squad tointeract with - very professional and always calm in discussions. His fave three roles are..
1. ST - Treq - Att (even when i play him upfront i'm often trying out differnt roles depending on my formation - i don't know how to partner a treq or use on as solo strikerr, if thats even possible)
2. MC - Adv Playmaker - Supp ( i trained him in this position & i could do with a star player in this position)
3. AMC - Treq - Att (does the job but not good enough for me to keep using the formation i built around him for next season)

Could you post a screenshot of him? it would make it a bit easier to draw a conclusion of how to get the best out of him, but remember its a big possibility he hasnt adapted yet ;)

Uploaded at Picoodle.com

One thing i will say that is negative about him is he always looks to pass even when he's facing an open goal sometimes. There have been more than a few occasions where someone's fed him a killer ball and he's passed it to someone in a slighly worse position to shoot from. I love team players but there has to be a line and I'd expect a player whose natural position is striker to know this much :(

Last edited:
Back