Can't win/Play well in most away games

SmoothJitsu

Reaction score
One of the things i've been struggling this year is playing away even with Strong teams. I'm playing 3 saves at the moment but i'l just focus on one, and that's with Borussia Dortmund where i look to play the usual Dortmund geggenpressing and fast attacking football and it's been working relatively well, but in away games i just suck. I also seem to be very leaky at the back
So i'll just show the tactic and some results and you guys may help me find a way to be better in away games

View attachment 325457 View attachment 325456

View attachment 325455 View attachment 325454 View attachment 325453

View attachment 325452

No tactical genius here but don't see a lot wrong mate.

I will say that, in my opinion, less is sometimes more when it comes to TI's. Personally i'd only have close down more, stay on feet & higher tempo then play the rest by ear so to speak. Perhaps not even stay on feet if the ref seems a tad leniant.

Thats just me though, i like to keep things simple to begin with then adjust on a game by game basis. Maybe the side is just a bit out of form, who knows lol ;)

1. Gegenpressing (Counterpressing) doesnt work well with control mentality, esp away! Use attacking (or even overload- in my possession gegenpress tactics I start matches on attacking and only increase to overload if that wont score).
2. Gegenthingy also doesnt work that great with structured. Try very fluid. 3.Make the winger support rather than attack.
3. In away matches dont push up that much (go down a notch).

1. Gegenpressing (Counterpressing) doesnt work well with control mentality, esp away! Use attacking (or even overload- in my possession gegenpress tactics I start matches on attacking and only increase to overload if that wont score).
2. Gegenthingy also doesnt work that great with structured. Try very fluid. 3.Make the winger support rather than attack.
3. In away matches dont push up that much (go down a notch).

Thanks for the tips. But when i tried very fluid the pressing was all messed up. i had my Left Back pressing on the right my CB's pressing alongside the strikers (maybe a bit of a hyperbole here) and i kinda want my players to stick to the player they're suposed to pressure but i shall give it another try

Last edited:
No tactical genius here but don't see a lot wrong mate.

I will say that, in my opinion, less is sometimes more when it comes to TI's. Personally i'd only have close down more, stay on feet & higher tempo then play the rest by ear so to speak. Perhaps not even stay on feet if the ref seems a tad leniant.

Thats just me though, i like to keep things simple to begin with then adjust on a game by game basis. Maybe the side is just a bit out of form, who knows lol ;)

I also like to keep TI's to a minimum but GGPress is kinda of a system where in my opinion those TI's are required

Back