Catenaccio Dead bolt formation

Trophy_Whorder

Trophy_Hoarder
Reaction score
Catenaccio Dead bolt formation fm12

View attachment 204750

Introduction

View attachment 204749

If you are part of the football circle then you have probably heard of the word catenaccio, which means “dead-bolt” or “lock” in literal terms but it is interpreted as a very bad word referring to Italian football from the ‘60s and ‘70s that was negative at best. There are some tactical lessons to be learned from Catenaccio and any soccer coach should take these into consideration. However, Catenaccio can be a very good strategy to use for defense when it is correctly performed. In fact, the result of implementing Catenaccio may be one of the very best defensive strategies that exist in football. There is of course one good reason why Catenaccio isn’t liked by many soccer fans and that is as simple as the strategy keeps the other team from scoring

View attachment 204751

History of the formation
Catenaccio was supported primarily by Helenio Herrera, an Argentinean trainer who was also the coach of Italian Serie A side Inter Milan back in the ‘60s. Herrera used Catenaccio to win two European Cups and four Serie A titles, which is proof positive that the system worked wonders. Of course, by this point you may be wondering how Catenaccio is implemented. Basically, Catenaccio uses a formation of 1-3-3-3 which is considerably more stable and provides more defense to the goal. The formation has one sweeper (1), three marking defenders (3), three midfielders (3) and finally three attackers (3) that make up the 1-3-3-3 formation. Occasionally Herrera would use four marking defenders and a sweeper that would defend the area between the defensive line and the goalkeeper. He would cover any attackers, pick up loose balls, as well as move the ball from the defense area to midfield where he could then attack. The Italians were popular for Catenaccio and this defensive strategy. However, the English clubs were using a different strategy. They were playing with a 3-2-5 formation that was the old “WM” style and it really did not have a chance when compared to the Italian Catenaccio.

Match Preparation
I dont use them but if you feel the need to they do so is upto you.

Touchline Shouts

View attachment 204752

* Defensive distribution Pump the ball into the box
* Defensive line push higher up
* Tackling get stuck in
* Passing pass to feet
* Width play narrow

* Attacking play through defence

* Shooting shoot on sight
* Wing play look to overlap
* Possession retain possession
* Pressing hassle oponents
* Midfield distribution exploit the middle

Opposition Instructionsonce dont use them and if you do then by all means do so.

Training schedule i dont have any but most of you use dunc training just use one you feel happy with.

Big game macthes

View attachment 204754View attachment 204755View attachment 204756View attachment 204757

To the formation
View attachment 204758
Team instruction
View attachment 204759
League position stats
View attachment 204760
Download here View attachment 204761

Please leave good and bad feed back

Little note during the season i moved the sweeper in to the centre back role to make it a solid back four in doing this i did not concied to many goals but it is upto you on how you want to play the formation.

Testing teams

Inter
Now testing it with southampton​

Last edited:
hey poker, it is a very dynamic formation you have there and it looks interesting, however you concede way too many goals... is there a way you can tone it down a bit to concede less, plus losing 6 and drawing 9 is also not that convincing with Inter Milan....

Where do you concede most of your goals from? Juve created 4 CCC's to your 1! at your home! thats a bit worrying if I was using it and that happened to me :)

If you want to keep that sort of dynamic formation, why not consider dropping Wes to the Cm and adv playmaker and dropping Forlan to Aml - inside forward?

at least it will cover more defensively but still give you sort of exactly the same approach you want? The top left hand strikers/wingers are pretty useless what I have tried in the past, playing them as wingers - inside forwards makes them a lot more effective!

could you post the top strikers stats for the season? just to see how involved he was?

I am sure the sweeper is part of this tactic (manager) but its also a bit of a waste, especially that you are playing short and expressive.. I would change to a flat 4 back line, change cm role to box to box and change to balanced :)

I cannot try it out as I dont have Fm12 at work, well I have my pc here, might set it up in a bit and could try it for you for a little while if you like?

those are just my thoughts on it so far :)

Ahh catenaccio, I've been trying to get it right since fm11.

cheers raikan i will be looking at away to limit the goals in the second season near the end of the season i had a lot of injurys due to the amount we ended up letting in but i will be sorting this out

Last edited:
thanks maxy i seen this before what gave me the idea to create the formation i found it an intresting read

Last edited:
one thing we lack last year rainkan was goal from the strikers one area i did strugle with could not seem to get the best out of milito and forlan

Last edited:
just wondering if any one has tested this formation out if so id like to know how you got on thanks

Last edited:
This is just an update on a new version of the formation i wanted to experiment and i found out with the changes the team perform very well and a lot better then the first season the changes i made was i got rid of the sweeper and turned it into a complete back four and in doing so we only let in 21 league goals i was pretty amazed we scored a lot more then last year as well.

in the league it was pretty easy being inter as it should be the only cup so far using this formation that has been anoying is the champions league am not sure why but we only manage to reach the last 8 and i know this team could win the competition here is the seaosn result.

League table
View attachment 205755

Italy cup final
View attachment 205756

My top striker was forlan
View attachment 205757

The formation

View attachment 205758

Team instructions
View attachment 205759

Download View attachment 205760

I would some feed back if people have downloaded

Raikan007 thank you for the helpfull tips​

Last edited:
Seems very good!!Matches so far with Hertha BSC:2-0 Schalke Win,1-3 Augsburg Win,0-3 Werder Loss,0-1 Stuttgart Win!But in these matches i had 3 red cards!I suppose it has to do with the catenaccio tactic..Harsh Tackling.

Back