Challenging Europe

gamersnsd906

Reaction score
While waiting for FM 2013 to come out (and getting through this summer - aside from work that is haha), I've decided to take the European Pentagon Challenge (got the idea from another FM site), which is winning the league and top domestic cup in England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France, while also winning the Europa and Champions League at least once. I'm pretty familiar with the features of the FM series, but I wouldn't exactly consider myself a tactician. But I'm hoping to use this as a learning experience, upping my game every now and then, and hopefully create a few strategies of my own.

I've loaded up the EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, and MLS (just because I'm from America and maybe want a chance to coach there) and I decided to start with the Ligue 1 in France since it has the lowest UEFA ranking out of the European leagues. After looking at all the clubs, I decided to sign for Stade Rennais FC, and was given a contract until June 2013.

Club History:
wuhvfn.png

Onto the club:
iw52ix.png

Jonathan Pitroipa, Burkina Faso international, is my best player and judging from the positions he can play, I will most likely use him as an Inside Forward. Next is Yann M'Vila, who I'm sure a lot of you will know, but unfortunately, I don't like using a defensive midfielder - so I'm either going to retrain him to center midfield or sell him. Next up is Youssouf Hadji, a Moroccan international, and Kader Mangane who is currently wanted by two clubs – Juventus and Liverpool. As for the Reserves, John Verhoek, Johann Carrasso, Franck Julienne are out on loan and I got rid of players who were too old or those I deemed not good enough.

Pitroipa
257zrcx.png

M’Vila
2zs4g0k.png

Hadji
vhgw3c.png

Mangane
2119a1d.png

Moving on to address the issue of the backroom staff, I fired the majority of the staff because they were overpaid not good enough. I went out and hired several new coaches and scouts who were willing to enter contract negotiations.

Regarding any possible transfers, I was not given a transfer budget, so it’s going to have to be free transfers for now. However, I could sell M’Vila or Mangane since Liverpool and Juventus wants him. That could free up some cash to buy players, but highly unlikely I will do this.

After going through the free agent players, I decided to enter the transfer market in search of a good Deep-lying playmaker. I ended up bidding for Ruben Yttergard Jenssen and managed to fight off two other clubs for his signature. Of course, with no transfer budget, I had to sell a few players to generate the cash needed for Yttergard – who will be my first and probably only transfer this season.

Season One Transfer:
2jfc22p.png

Yttergard Jenssen
o9qoee.png

I'm gonna try and keep this first post updated with everything that goes on. I'm also not going to write about match after match, rather, just a summary of my season and transfers.

SEASON ONE

AUGUST
xarz9w.png

We started off the season with a win over Domzale for the first leg of the Europa 3rd qualification round, but unfortunately, lost the second leg. But we were able to advance based on goal differences, 5-0 (Home) and 1-2 (Away). Right away, we had to deal with injuries, specifically Youssouf Hadji was struck with a twisted knee during training shortly before my second Ligue 1 match against Paris Saint-Germain and was out for 4 weeks. This was a bad start for my team because I had to move Hadji down to compensate for Julien Feret, who was my first choice playmaker, was already out for 3 weeks with a fractured arm from one of the pre-season friendly.

Because both of my advanced playmakers were injured, the team suffered a 1-4 (Home) against Paris Saint-Germain, the combination of Javier Pastore and Kevin Gameiro were simply too much for my team. But we bounced back from defeat to hammer Vit. Guimaraes 5-1 (Away) in the first leg of the Europa 4th qualification round. Despite a relatively good start to our Europa campaign, our domestic Ligue 1 performances began to drop following our defeat to Paris Saint-Germain.

SEPTEMBER
2qapan5.png

After our initial loss to Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) in the Ligue 1, we continued without winning for six games. It was rather frustrating because three of those six games, we were predicted to be favorites. But unfortunately, the team’s defense was not great, as we gave away our lead again and again – specifically the Nancy and Sochaux games. It wasn’t until the match against Saint-Etienne that our luck began to change.

The players finally seem to be familiar with each other and with several tactical tweaks; our defensive line began showing more consistency and solidity.

Last edited:
SEASON ONE

AUGUST
xarz9w.png

We started off the season with a win over Domzale for the first leg of the Europa 3rd qualification round, but unfortunately, lost the second leg. But we were able to advance based on goal differences, 5-0 (Home) and 1-2 (Away). Right away, we had to deal with injuries, specifically Youssouf Hadji was struck with a twisted knee during training shortly before my second Ligue 1 match against Paris Saint-Germain and was out for 4 weeks. This was a bad start for my team because I had to move Hadji down to compensate for Julien Feret, who was my first choice playmaker, was already out for 3 weeks with a fractured arm from one of the pre-season friendly.

Because both of my advanced playmakers were injured, the team suffered a 1-4 (Home) against Paris Saint-Germain, the combination of Javier Pastore and Kevin Gameiro were simply too much for my team. But we bounced back from defeat to hammer Vit. Guimaraes 5-1 (Away) in the first leg of the Europa 4th qualification round. Despite a relatively good start to our Europa campaign, our domestic Ligue 1 performances began to drop following our defeat to Paris Saint-Germain.

SEPTEMBER
2qapan5.png

After our initial loss to Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) in the Ligue 1, we continued without winning for six games. It was rather frustrating because three of those six games, we were predicted to be favorites. But unfortunately, the team’s defense was not great, as we gave away our lead again and again – specifically the Nancy and Sochaux games. It wasn’t until the match against Saint-Etienne that our luck began to change.

The players finally seem to be familiar with each other and with several tactical tweaks; our defensive line began showing more consistency and solidity.

Back