bjkat81

Reaction score
So I've played FM for about a decade, and have to be honest, I've never been one to adjust my tactics during the match. Specifically, I don't adjust my tempo, mentality, or shape. Mostly this is because the game itself tells me that the team is not used to changes to these. I tend to make subs that have different attributes in the same position (eg. Leiva for Gerrad, etc.) if I want to make changes in a match.

So it seems that as FM evolves, they've emphasized making changes during the match, and I feel I'm leaving points on the table by not making adjustments.

So a few questions about changes in mid-match:
1) what are you keeping an eye on to make these changes?
- So far I've been monitoring my own ratings, and the opposition formation
2) is it effective to make a change from a mentality that you're familiar with to a totally different mentality?
- every time I change from an attacking, quick mindset to a slow, possession based tactic I give up goals
3) I've found it's basically useless to make changes to team instructions if I watch the match showing only "Key" situations, have other players found that you need to play at a lower speed?

Basically I'm looking for a tutorial on how you like to manage your team during the match itself. Thanks for your help.

Honestly, you are throwing some points away by not reacting to what's happening in a match.

Unless you're okay with this, I wouldn't recommend watching Key highlights. Key highlights will only show CCCs and goals. When you see those highlights, it's (usually) too late to make a change.

Once you have your "normal" tactic set up, maybe create a shut up shop and an all out attack tactic. Depending on the game situation, you could roll these out and your team will be familiar with them.

As far as in-game changes, if you see something you need to change, do it. There's obviously a penalty changing to something a little unfamiliar, but it's better than playing with instructions that won't work.

But is there a penalty to changing to a different formation mid-match? It's a question that always bugs me.
Most of the times I'm afraid to switch to a different formation (i.e. change from a low tempo control 4-3-3 to an very high tempo direct assymetric 4-1-2-2-1) even though the tactics are fluid or at least accomplished.

But is there a penalty to changing to a different formation mid-match? It's a question that always bugs me.
Most of the times I'm afraid to switch to a different formation (i.e. change from a low tempo control 4-3-3 to an very high tempo direct assymetric 4-1-2-2-1) even though the tactics are fluid or at least accomplished.
Your tactical familiarity is what counts. There's no artificial penalty just because you decided to change your tactic.

Last edited:
At the moment I can't actually change tactics to my own saved ones during a match. They're nowhere to be seen. Can anyone help?