Changing the team's "mentality" successfully (differen style etc)

texico11

Reaction score
I'm playing as Tottenham at the moment in FM2010. As you can imagine, it stands pretty firm to Tottenham's squad to favour a very classic approach like 4-4-2. Using this layout with Crouch and Defoe upfront works, but it's not really how I want to play it. I want to try and evolve Tottenham into a more expressive team like Arsenal and Barcelona play. Trouble is it seems to take more than just forcing typically expressive tactics on them, because it's not working, I'm doing poorly in fixtures.

I want to essentially play either two formations as a kind of standard; a 4-1-4-1 (more like a 4-1-2-2-1) with the 4 defenders, a strong defensive midifielder, 2 highly creative midfielders in MC, 2 inside forwards in the AM L/R positions and an advanced/complete forward in FC. Obviously that's complicated upfront, so untill I have that kind of attacking prowess I want to favour 4-2-3-1, with 4 defenders, 2 players in the DMC positions with the one on the right set to defensive duties and the one of the left acting as a deep-lying playmaker, 2 wingers in the AM L/R positions, an advanced playmaker/Treq in the AMC position and an advanced forward.

I signed Gaetano D'Agostino, who has 19 creativity, 17 technique, 18 passing, and alot of fairly high mental attributes, so I the 4-1-4-1 formation I play him in the middle as an advanced playmaker or in the 4-2-3-1 I use him in DMC as the deep-lying playmaker. I also obviously have Luka Modric, with 17 creativity, 17 technique and 16 passing and high mental attributes as the other advanced playmaker in 4-1-4-1 or as the advanced playmaker/Treq in 4-2-3-1, so I have creative talent in the middle.

Other than that It's Lennon on the right, Niko Kranjcar on the left, Huddlestone/Jenas in the with the DMC-defending duties, and then Bale, Woodgate, King and Corluka in Defence and Pavlyuchenko upfront in either formation.

But it's not really working :\ against weaker teams I'm getting stuck into draws and against stronger teams I'm usually either drawing or JUST losing by 1 goal or so. I've read Tactical Theorems 10 through and I'm chaging to different approaches (defence, counter, attack, control etc) depending on the situation in game but it makes little to no difference.

Is the problem because my team arn't good enough to pull off either formation? Or is it because the system is new to them; I'm getting alot of comments from my assistance saying "x player is used to doing y differently). Either way, how do I drill this new mentality into my team successfully? And if I can't, where do I need to look now in terms of signins to make this work better; I'm not really seeing much input from whoever I play upfront; I've experimented with Defoe, Crouch, Keane, Pavlyu and Van Nistelrooy (hooked on a free signing). I never expected Van or Defoe to work there very well ofc though.

So yeah, how do I go about getting my team to play more like Arsenal or Barcelona; where does the problem lie? Thanks :p

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 07:08 PM ----------

bump

you need to stick to it. its takes time upto 20 games for them to settle sometimes longer, just stick at it and it will work in the long run

Yeah what's said above.

I tried to apply this to my Twente team and had a rocky first season ending up in 9th place, but surley enough second season everything started to gel and i won the double. It just takes time, stick at it!

Dont give in mate, just stick to your tactic, and with time, you are going to win and play as you want them to play ;)