rryanwilliams

Reaction score
Class of 19 - Fallen Giants

attachment.php

It's no surprise that Man United haven't been up to scratch the past few years and haven't lived up to expectations. Since post Alex Ferguson era the three managers have not been able to keep there jobs till the end of their contracts and three sackings and low numbers in silverware has resulted in United falling off the paces.

The Red Devils have been mainly known for their history and iconic teams, such as the Busby Babes, 1999 treble winners and the 2008 double champions. Along with La Masia, AFC Ajax and Academia Sporting, Man Utd have had one of the strongest youth academies in Europe, and had an academy graduate be involved in a match day squad every game for 3,975 consecutive games since October 1937.

In this save I'm hoping to bring back United to the team they used to be, earn myself a place in the hall of fame and become as successful if not better than Sir Alex Ferguson. The name in 'Class of 19' is where I am trying to emulate the famous six players from the 1992 era that came through from the youth and turned out to be world class a few years later. Ryan Giggs, David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Gary Neville, Nicky **** and Phil Neville. I have used FM editor and created six new players to join the u18's who will have high potential and hopefully live up to expectations.

attachment.php
attachment.php

After Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's short reign, United decided to appoint a new manager permanently for the upcoming season. A new Director of Football has also been appointed to take control of transfers in and out, instead of chairman Ed Woodward being in charge. The six youngsters are as follows:

Harvey Riles
attachment.php

Isak Fevrier
attachment.php

Tobi Mbete Tatu
attachment.php

Tomos Lawrence
attachment.php

Marcel Lucas
attachment.php

Jayden Trafford-Esbrand
attachment.php

Next update: Meeting the squad

Last edited:
Pre Season 2018: The Squad

attachment.php

Two keepers in our first team squad with De Gea as one of our stand out world class players, and Lee Grant as back up 3rd choice. At 27 now I'm 50/50 on whether De Gea would stay next season or if I should move him on to find a young, upcoming keeper where I can still get a high fee for him.

attachment.php

One of our biggest depths in terms of position as there is six centre backs fighting for only two spots, and I feel we still need to buy another one. Players in mind I have as targets are De Ligt, Skriniar and Ruben Dias. Also thinking of offloading Rojo and Jones.

attachment.php

Our full backs look strong now that Wan-Bissaka has come in with Dalot as back up which I thought was one of the priorities before starting this season. Young is probably up there as well as Darmian with the deadwood I feel that won't get any game time here.

attachment.php

The centre mid options also look fairly strong but could do with improvements as I feel McTominay and Pereira aren't the type of players I need to be challenging for the title. Another central midfielder and maybe a defensive mid could fit alongside Pogba to get us challenging.

attachment.php

Another new signing in Daniel James could be one of the long term solutions to our RW problems, but I have promoted Tahith Chong and Angel Gomes who both have exciting potential and could play their parts next season, but definitely will be involved in cup games. I may give it 6-12 months before I offload Mata too due to his age.

attachment.php

Three forwards who can all also play on the wing which is what I like about these players as many of them are versatile, but I don't feel as though Sanchez or Lukaku are in my plans and possibly looking at selling them two as long as I can get replacements.

Pros:
- A good spine that could be built on
- DoF now appointed to hopefully bring the right players in
- Willing to get rid of the deadwood
- A high budget to attract good players
- Fantastic youth in Gomes, Chong, Garner & Greenwood as well as Class of 19

Cons:
- A lot of deadwood that needs to go
- Players on high wages that shouldn't be (Sanchez, Shaw, Rashford)
- In Europa League which may not attract the best players
- Still plenty of positions that need improving in RW, DM, CM, CB.

attachment.php
attachment.php

A nice £85m budget to bring in at least a new centre mid and centre back and hopefully a defensive mid, plus the money we make if we sell the players, but like I said the transfers aren't down to me as I can only make players a transfer target but cannot make the offers. The tactic I've started with to match the players we have in the squad is a standard 4-3-3, but thinking of dropping the CM to a DM or change the mentality to balanced if we take the lead against a team or playing against a big team.

Next update: Pre season & transfers

Pre Season 2018

attachment.php

A nice fair bit of business done, essentially four signings done this season with De Ligt and Fernandes being the two additions since I was appointed. Very happy with De Ligt who was my number one priority coming into this job to solidify the back four and fits well as a ball playing defender. Fernandes was also one of my key targets who would fit well next to Pogba and Matic/Fred.

attachment.php

I've managed to do what United haven't been able to in the past couple seasons and get rid of the deadwood that won't get playing time here, with help from the Director of Football raking in £66.5m. Still one or two players who I feel may not have a future at the club but wanted to give a chance until January.

attachment.php

A busy pre season as I like to play plenty of games to give players minutes and work on match fitness, winning all six games. Standout players in the pre season games were Pogba, James, Sanchez and Gomes.

attachment.php

August looks like a good month where I feel we could start our campaign strong and get 10-12 points. Looking forward to getting started with this team and hopefully the new boys can impress.

​Next update: August results

August 2018

attachment.php

Starting off our campaign dominantly with two debutant goals from James and Fernandes, as well as picking an assist up himself.

attachment.php

Another 3-0 win and a clean sheet however Norwich managing to get the better of us in possession, sadly possession doesn't win you games.

attachment.php

Thought we were going to walk away with a point but up stepped Anthony Martial in the fifth minute of injury time to bring home three points, limbs everywhere in celebrations.

attachment.php

The Europa League sees us an opportunity to give the youngsters some first team minutes and the draw looks reasonable for us to qualify into the knockouts.

attachment.php

Third time in four games we see a 3-0 win which could've easily been four or five as we looked dominant and Pogba running the show.

attachment.php

Only four games into the league but we're the only team to have a 100% start with City remaining undefeated alongside us.

​Next update: September results

Last edited:
September 2018

attachment.php

A tough start to the month as we face Arsenal then Tottenham, before we start our Europa League campaign at home to PAOK. We also drew at home to Southampton in the third round of the Carabao Cup, a chance to see some youngsters and maybe the class of 19 will feature.

attachment.php

A strong performance against Arsenal as we seal the win in the 83rd minute thanks to De Ligt, however Arsenal managed to score without having a shot on target?

attachment.php

Nearly the exact same occurred as last game where we take the lead and go into half time at 1-1, then manage to get an 83rd minute winner again. Wan-Bissaka receives a one match suspension for his red card.

attachment.php

More fixtures means having to rotate the squad around more for fitness, and a chance to give the likes of Tuanzebe and Chong some playing time. Good to see Chong get on the scoresheet and Tuanzebe helping to get a clean sheet.

attachment.php

Chong's performance last game earned him a start against Brighton and this time getting an assist with Gomes featuring too. Lukaku stole the show however with four goals.

attachment.php

Southampton managed to take us to penalties in the Carabao Cup, but couldn't beat us in that as we win 4-1, despite drawing 2-2 in 90 minutes.

attachment.php

Final game of the month and we make it four wins out of four in the league, outplaying Bournemouth in a 3-0 win.

attachment.php

Eight games, eight wins. Top three teams look to be gaining distance ahead of Watford in fourth, while Tottenham have a slow start outside the top eight.

Next update: October results

October 2018

attachment.php

Another busy month consisting of six games, only three league games as we have a trip to France in the Europa League as well as hosting Basaksehir at home. The end of the month features our continuation of the Carabao Cup as we draw Newcastle away.

attachment.php

We went into this game as favourites but Saint-Etienne caused an upset while it looked even on stats. We didn't really look like scoring all game and didn't create many key chances.

attachment.php

Another loss this time in the league to Watford and we end our winning streak. Not starting October very well as I'm still trying to find my strongest XI.

attachment.php

Finally we get a win as I try out 4-2-3-1 and Lukaku scores a brace and picks up Man of the Match.

attachment.php

Basaksehir's only shot on target all game results in a goal as we go 1-0 down before half time, however one minute into the second half we level things up before Pogba gets the winner late on in the game with a wonder free-kick.

attachment.php

Always a tough fixture facing Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, but two quick succession goals after a goalless second half seal us the win. An eventful 67th minute however as we grab the third goal but Chelsea respond straight from kick off. Giroud's goal in the 88th minute made it a nervous ending for us.

attachment.php

A big rotation in players as Garner, Gomes and Chong see rare starts and I decide to start Sanchez up front to see if he can prove himself. After half time I thought the game was going to finish 0-0 as we didn't have many shots but it seemed like the team talk resulted in a new team coming out in the second half as it finishes 4-0 with goals from Garner, Chong, Lingard and Sanchez.

attachment.php

After our loss to Watford, Man City remain the only team undefeated in the league but we sit above them by a point with a long way to go. Similarly to my Leicester save, Chelsea are having a shaky start under new manager Frank Lampard.

Next update: November results

November 2018

attachment.php

After our recent win over Newcastle, we get drawn away to Arsenal in the Carabao Cup quarter final. November consists of 5 fixtures including a couple Europa League games.

attachment.php

Our second game in a row where we score four goals, but the stats doesn't really justify it as a 4-1 game. Pogba being the star man with a goal and an assist.

attachment.php

A tight fixture but we almost claim top two finish with this away win despite resting a couple players. Angel Gomes playing well picking up an assist and man of the match.

attachment.php

Frustrates me how we didn't manage to win, a chance for the likes of Lingard, Mata and Sanchez to prove themselves but didn't really take it.

attachment.php

Seems to be the story of our season so far where we seem like two completely different teams in both halves. Lingard and Lukaku give us an early 2-0 lead before former United player Danny Welbeck pulled one back for West Ham.

attachment.php

Another goalless draw but not too fussed as I think it's more important we win our home matches in the Europa League. Reverted back to a 4-3-3 rather than playing with a number 10.

attachment.php

Although we only dropped two points from the draw, Man City overtake us into first place as Liverpool edge closer below us. Would be good if we can end their unbeaten run as we face them in the league next month.

Next update: December results