Sparkle22

Reaction score
Still confused about the wording on the closing down instruction.

I understand that the sliders give a general indication of how quickly my players will look to close down the opposition, but I am confused about the wording.

The 3 levels are own area, own half, whole pitch - as we know.

But, does this mean a defender set to whole pitch will quickly close down an opposing player if he happens to find himself up at the top of the field in the opposition penalty area - ie not in his own half or area? And essentially leave him alone if he only has own area set?

But the actual wording 'area' - does this literally mean the my penalty box?
And 'half' - does this mean from my own goal up to the half way line? And if so - how does that affect the forwards with their closing down, because they rarely come back into the actual 'area', or even my half - so if he's set to own area - it would never affect him.

Hope this makes sense.

ta.

As far as I know, no.

It's just an expanding circle around the player, and indicates at what range the player will start close down if someone nearer doesn't.

ok - the 'expanding area' explanation makes sense. Although the wording is still weird - own half?

Thanks.

I always thought they meant this:

Own area - Opposition are allowed to play their football whilst your team soaks up the pressure, only closing them down when they approach your 18 yard box (think Barcelona vs. Chelsea, where Chelsea just camped in their area).

Own half - Opposition are allowed to play in their own half and you allow their defenders to keep possession. As soon as the ball enters your half of the pitch, the nearest man will close them down (how the majority of teams play).

Whole pitch - Your team will close down players who have the ball, regardless of where they are on the pitch (Barcelona do this when they don't have possesion, hoping that their opponents will lose possesion under pressure.

As far as I know, no.

It's just an expanding circle around the player, and indicates at what range the player will start close down if someone nearer doesn't.

This !!
Sums it up Pretty good. I agree that the whole " area " labelling is highly missleading. I look at it in the way its labelled in the team settings. Press more and even hassle, normal press in relation to the d-line( set by the strategy and formation) and stand off.

Last edited:
So basically, to keep your team shape, it's better to set closing down nearer to "own area" to stop them running around like a headless chicken?