coach/ast. mng. running general training

smuggul

Reaction score
Hello. I was wondering what people on here look for when they choose a coach to run general training. I am currently on a game where I have Mark Venus running the general training, as he has good mental skills and has a similar tactical philosophy to mine.
View attachment 12898

My tactic started out as a high pressing 4-3-3 wide, but has since then evolved into a more defensively stable 4-2-3-1, with two defensive midfielders, one central midfielder and two wingers who play in midfield:
View attachment 12897

I just let the assistant take it tbh, as long as I have a good assistant I don't really look too much into his playing style or mentality or that. I look for high judging player CA/PA, used to look at motivating but don't bother too much as I never let them take charge or team talks anyway. Half decent tactical knowledge, man management maybe?

I just let the assistant take it tbh, as long as I have a good assistant I don't really look too much into his playing style or mentality or that. I look for high judging player CA/PA, used to look at motivating but don't bother too much as I never let them take charge or team talks anyway. Half decent tactical knowledge, man management maybe?

Thanks for your reply :)

I used to think the same way as you do about the training, in earlier fm versions. But because the training is so complicated in fm19, I thought that maybe the football philosophy of the coach who run general training would affect how he sets up the training, and thus how the footballers would be developed. Mark Venus likes high pressing and a direct style, attacking style, so he might be more inclined to focus on training that suits these traits.

But then again, my players have very little improvement in skills, and my tactical familiarity is improving at a snail's speed, so maybe I am not doing this right after all. And I'm saying this based on two whole seasons, where players have hardly improved at all, youth players included. What makes it even stranger is that Mark Venus is a good motivator, and he's got good man management and discipline. So what's wrong?

He does choose training based on my tactic or his philosophies though, so that's good.

I used to be very hands on with it but it's too broad this year, the game is already very in depth haha!

Yes, it can be very time consuming if you decide to be hands on every week on the general training.