herenow

Reaction score
My club recently finished a major upgrade of its youth and training facilities, and I've landed a pretty solid staff of youth-oriented coaches. Now I'd like to plump up my U18 roster and groom some kids for the long run.

I've locked down a bunch of 15- and 16-year-olds to come in for trials (mostly so I can unmask some of their attributes while having them rounded up in one spot).

When I look at my initial coaches' reports on these kids, nearly every one of them is described as "isn't good enough for the squad" or even "far from good enough for the squad."

My question: Is this assessment based simply on current ability? Because I mean, of course the typical 15-year-old isn't "good enough" to step out on the pitch and start a professional game at this very moment. And that's the whole point: They'd be here for grooming and growth.

I guess what I'm asking is: If a kid is being described NOW as "far from good enough for my squad," does that also mean he's "far from good enough to bother with a U18 spot and the long-term picture"?

(And yes, I know that "Potential Ability" can be found in the report, which I'll also use to make these decisions.)

Ignore CA unless 2/3 blue stars or below imo, I just base on 'good' or 'leading' $league star of the future. I always go for reasonable youngsters who can become 'leading' in the league, the 'good' ones i just base on attributes/ price/ age. but PA is the main part you should be looking anyway...

Do not only look for PA - also check their attributes. Some players have lousy PA but have good attributes and can be used effectively in certain particular roles with the right training.

This is Juan Mauri at the start of the game. As you can see, he is ****. But he's got decent Marking and Tackling, and has 'decent' mentals. If you scout him he'll probably have a star and a half PA, or something like that. Obviously that is not good, but do not be disheartened.

View attachment 196709

This is Juan Mauri now. He got tutored but got a generic training schedule, he could've improved more with a specific schedule. Now, he isn't the eigth wonder of the world, but he makes a good holding midfielder, a good keeper marker and he even pops up with the odd goal or two - scoring in both legs of the semifinal against Flamengo! - he's been a mainstay in my team, playing over 100 games, averaging above 7 per season, and the only reason I'm paying him 10k p/m is because I pitied him - he was happy earning 1.5k euros per month. And his value went from ~20k to 4.2m.

View attachment 196710

Of course not every tale is a tale of success, but sometimes players that don't look that good can turn out decent due to having good base attributes.

Well done ,learn more
43.gif

Last edited: