avfc123

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have searched several websites and cannot find many forums on Colchester so thought that I would open one up. I am a Villa fan (as my username suggests) but like the challenge of lower league football so decided to have a go with Colchester. My league finishes are as follows:
2008/09 - 3rd in League 1 - promoted via play offs
2009/10 - 8th in Championship
2010/11 - 5th in Championship - lost to Southampton in play offs.

Overall, a very satisfactory start as a manager due mainly to excellent signings and real bargains. I have kept a real eye on the bosmon rule and have signed players like Ross Wallace & Chris Porter on free transfers. My best piece of business had to be that of signing Carlos Edwards - signed him for 85k after 1st season and a season later sold him to QPR for 3 million. Amazing deal!

Anyway enough about me, ill post regular updates but what about all you other Colchester managers, how is your game going? Do you have any tips? Do you want any tips? Let me no and ill response a.s.a.p -Cheers :)

Well good luck mate :), you should include screenies to make it interesting :D and I will be taking brief looks at the thread from time to time :)

Cheers Druggan! Took your advice and heres some screenshots,
the screenshots are of my team in 2011, my transfer dealings throughout the years and the league table during the 10/11 season.

I will be adding regular screenshots of the new season as I push for promotion. :D

Hi all,
I have searched several websites and cannot find many forums on Colchester so thought that I would open one up. I am a Villa fan (as my username suggests) but like the challenge of lower league football so decided to have a go with Colchester. My league finishes are as follows:
2008/09 - 3rd in League 1 - promoted via play offs
2009/10 - 8th in Championship
2010/11 - 5th in Championship - lost to Southampton in play offs.

Overall, a very satisfactory start as a manager due mainly to excellent signings and real bargains. I have kept a real eye on the bosmon rule and have signed players like Ross Wallace & Chris Porter on free transfers. My best piece of business had to be that of signing Carlos Edwards - signed him for 85k after 1st season and a season later sold him to QPR for 3 million. Amazing deal!

Anyway enough about me, ill post regular updates but what about all you other Colchester managers, how is your game going? Do you have any tips? Do you want any tips? Let me no and ill response a.s.a.p -Cheers :)
Id like some tips ive been doing terrible since i started the season, 15th so far, only thing decent has been my fa cup form, im into the fifth round. Got any advice? Im after a decent/strong formation?

Blackcats - I completely understand. Although my team have done very well and I have had some impressive results, my team on occasions have been inconsistent and have put in poor performances after several excellent showings. For my team in season 1, I had a brilliant start but fell away towards the end - luckely my start was so good I stayed in playoffs and went on to win them easily.

As for your team, there are two tactics that I believe could be used successfully to ensure you finish at least mid table. First, the usual 4,4,2 which allows the wingers to push forward and support the front men. I used Jackson and Devaney on the wings and had Dean Hammond as a defensive midfielder protecting the gaps when they slotted forward. Furthermore, Mark Yeates was used as a super sub and could fill in any positions as he acted as a versatility player.

The other tactic I used was when I got promoted to the Championshp but It would still be successful in League 1. I placed Jackson into central midfield and gave Yeates and Carlos Edwards (85K) the freedom to explore along the flanks in a 4,5,1 system almost like Manchester United with Rooney and Ronaldo supporting either Tevez or Berbatov.

Whatever tactic you use, your team in season 1 is only average and so you must look at for free transfers. As soon as Jan 09 comes you can approach to sign players from foreign countries and this is something that you should look at. Miguel Rebosio is a real buy and is exceptional for 1 -2 sesons. He was voted signing of the season. Also, keep a look out for Bohemians players Mindaugas Kalonas who doesnt seem anything special but is very very good.

Another good piece of business is securing the loan deal of Jay Simpson. he scored 6 goals in his first 5 games for me and his goal scoring did dry up but he contributed to me getting promoted. He finished with a rating over 7.

Looking to the future I advise you resist the temptation to sell Johnnie Jackson and Dean Gerken because of the money. I no Colchester have little transfer budget put I have found out that these 2 get better over time espically Jackson who had the highest rating in the league last season - try to ensure you keep hold of him.

Finally, if you need any more help, feel free to ask me again with specific details. I have attached my best teams of 2008/9 and 2009/10. Take a look but they are only a tip of the formation and type of players I used.

Good Luck :D

20 games into the new season and things are looking good. Steady position in the play off zone and results are becoming consistent. Team are playing well and the fans are expecting a lot from the players.

I have attached the league table after 20 games, and have also attached my current squad, showing their recent form and basic stats such as games/goals. Ched Evans is the one to watch out for - he and Kazenga Lua Lua have been exceptional since I signed them, as well as young star Thomas Salvi.

As the possibility of promotion becomes ever nearer, I was wondering whether anyone could suggest another good premiership quality striker for the 2012 season. Preferable young and cheap - less than 500k. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (A)

Good advice but I think this should be in a seperate thread. Not really Lower League is it. Lower league I thought was Blue Square Premier & North/South. Still I will take the advice if my team gains promotion.

2nd Edit: How good is Wordsworth on your game?

I used him as a sub first season on mine, he played really well for some reason, and kept winning young player of the month. :)

3rd Edit: Who did you sell first season?

Last edited:
Hi all,
. I have kept a real eye on the bosmon rule and have signed players like Ross Wallace & Chris Porter on free transfers.

what exactly do you mean by the bosman rule?? is their a thread on that??

AVFC,

How did Perks (Perkins) do for you? He is a local lad and came through the ranks at Morecambe and finally got his big move. He is a decent little player. Did you use him or just send the little ginger fellow on?

david perkins is a class midfielder neally got Rochdale promoted good for any league 2 side and a decent back up due to his versitality for most league 1 sides

bosman-free agent same thing

Thanks for the responses and here are the answers to your questions.

Jac4121993 - Wordsworth has been a decent player for me but has had to be patient because of Ross Wallace, Salifou, Jackson and LuaLua controlling midfield. In the first season he was excellent but struggled a bit after promotion possibly suggesting that league 1 is his patch. As for now, I seem to have found him to be a superb super sub. He struggles when playing 90mins but has been inspiritational in 30mins bursts so I tend to leave him on the bench and bring him on towards the end where he seems to score some magnificent goals. And with regards to selling players, John White left in the first season for 60k to Brighton.

GazEdanger - David Perkins - a useful league 1 player but nothing else. Yes, he was a great guy and worked his socks off for the team, but his technical ability is none existant so during the 11/12 transfer window he moved on to Swansea and has not been missed since.

And just a note to ScouseBill, I believe League 1 to be lower league - espically when too many people go for the typical Manchester United/Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal.

Any advice on good strikers?