Reaction score
Hi guys

I seem to be struggling with conceding late goals have tried mixing it up a bit moving from a DLP to CM support but hasn't made much of a difference tried playing a higher defensive line and a deeper line but nothing seems to be working.

Any help?

View attachment 142069View attachment 142068

Switch to Contain, Shorter Passing, Retain Possession in the last 10-15 minutes.

Hi guys

I seem to be struggling with conceding late goals have tried mixing it up a bit moving from a DLP to CM support but hasn't made much of a difference tried playing a higher defensive line and a deeper line but nothing seems to be working.

Any help?

View attachment 1062370View attachment 1062371

If you're winning the match by 2 or more goals, then you can use the Take a Breather option which will encourage your players to play one and two touch passes to one another, retaining possession of the ball without necessarily looking to go forward - although they will occasionally still go and create chances if the opposition tries to press them and leaves space to attack.

Try to keep one substitution available for the last 15 minutes so you can refresh any players in defensive positions who are tiring and/or underperforming - or to remove a player on a yellow card. Signing players with high ratings for Stamina will help to maintain your team's energy levels as high as possible towards the end of the game.

When you switch your team to a defensive stance, switch the fluidity to 'Structured'. I'd change the Ball Winning Midfielder to Defend and Waste Time (which I only do during the last 5 minutes). Select Early Crosses rather than Look For Overlap, so your full backs remain in their defensive areas a bit more. Decide whether you want to try and retain possession - with your keeper rolling the ball out - or you'd rather have him drop kick it upfield at every opportunity. You can tell the keeper to Slow Things Down, too.

By adopting an attacking stance during those periods of matches that your Opposition Scouting Report has identified as most likely for the other team to concede a goal, you can increase your chances of building a lead to defend. I'd recommend watching matches on the Comprehensive view - at least from time-to-time - so you can see how well or how badly the team is carrying out your instructions and where you might need to tweak further.

Last edited:
Have you tried changing the Team Mentality to "Contain"?

You can try to change the duty of BWM to "Defend", it might help and add "Waste Time" TI

The take a breather option helps me out a lot together with low tempo

Yeah tried using the contain option. Problem is going onto contain doesn't help when i'm drawing and i want to win.

Yeah tried using the contain option. Problem is going onto contain doesn't help when i'm drawing and i want to win.

Take account of the pre-match scouting reports on your upcoming opposition. There is information in there about which 15 minute time period during the match they are most prone to conceding goals - for the lower teams in the league, there are sometimes several. Put your team on an attacking stance during their most vulnerable periods, but put the DM on a defensive duty so he can help your centre backs keep the back door shut.

Obviously not, but your question was about conceding late goals, not scoring them?

Just being a LITTLE more defensive will help. That BWM/S, who is in a position that's supposed to be screening the defence but his role won't let him to do that, is probably a huge part of the problem. He goes forward too far in possession and he's too reckless with his positioning without possession. Get a decent Defend duty role there.