Conceding too many - please help!

memoman

Reaction score
I've made a 4-2-3-1 tactic which I've had good success with. Got Exeter from L2 into the Championship in three seasons and now I'm with Leeds.

Whilst I regularly top the goals scored chart, we leak far too many goals. 17 in 9 games so far this season (scored 27).

Training is regularly set to both 'defending' and 'defensive positioning' and the team are happy with it. The quality of coaching is very high as well, so it must be the tactic that needs tweaking.

Here's the tactic. Any advice on how to tighten up would be welcomed. I play with 'control' at home and counter/standard/control depending on away opposition. Assistant does opp instructions, btw.

View attachment 250031View attachment 250030

Cheers :D

I'd change the AMC to attack duty with finishing. I'd also suggest you play structured counter.

Last edited:
You don't have anyone protecting your back four when you attack as your DLP and BWM are both on support so there could be when you attack a big gap in front of your defence which opposition is using to exploit, I'd personally use the DLP on defend so he stays back more.

You don't have anyone protecting your back four when you attack as your DLP and BWM are both on support so there could be when you attack a big gap in front of your defence which opposition is using to exploit, I'd personally use the DLP on defend so he stays back more.

Wouldn't this be better for the BWM as he's more defensive minded?

The BWM will run all over the place, instead of holding position. So as a holding midfielder, he's useless as he will leave gaps in front of the defense when chasing the ball.

You don't need a holding mid if you are going to play counter. Control will have issues.

I'd change the AMC to attack duty with finishing. I'd also suggest you play structured counter.
No reason given why, so the advice is a little pointless?

Because you are already defending deep?
Deep defending will make it even worse? Both midfielders will push up, having support duties, so in transition they'll be caught out of position completely with the defence dropping deep and increasing that space even more. In the defensive phase, it'll be fine, as they're defending in the DM strata.

In this formation it is important not to have the amc on attack. He needs to be on support so he drops deep to get the ball, and link the play. If not the gap will be too large and the AI will control the midfield.

I've made a 4-2-3-1 tactic which I've had good success with. Got Exeter from L2 into the Championship in three seasons and now I'm with Leeds.

Whilst I regularly top the goals scored chart, we leak far too many goals. 17 in 9 games so far this season (scored 27).

Training is regularly set to both 'defending' and 'defensive positioning' and the team are happy with it. The quality of coaching is very high as well, so it must be the tactic that needs tweaking.

Here's the tactic. Any advice on how to tighten up would be welcomed. I play with 'control' at home and counter/standard/control depending on away opposition. Assistant does opp instructions, btw.

View attachment 894239View attachment 894241

Cheers :D

What issues are you having specifically? Yes, the opposition scores goals, but how do they generally come? Is there any pattern at all to how you concede?

I'm struggling to see what the plan behind the tactic is. It looks disjointed, with the 3 up front all on attack duties and everyone else quite deep initially.

You're expecting your wingers to cross to one player in the box only?

Why shorter passing and lower tempo?

You're going to give the ball away a lot, because of the short passing and the massive gap between the front 3 and everyone else. That'll just invite more pressure on your defence.

Could you not tighten up the midfield a little more? You use the wings to exploit space, could you not utilize a CM/D and BWM/D in the centre and maybe move both wingers back a notch to the ML/MR positions using a more structured mentality instead of fluid? You could still have the wingers on attack but perhaps use a winger on one side and WM/A on the other (to allow the fullback to come forward); the midfield and the space opened up behind the midfield should not be exploited as much then whilst also giving you options going forward.. I'm no expert though it's only my opinion. I guess you also use the FB's on a support duty too; as the mentality is control I wouldn't see them venturing forward as much but I would change 'automatic' to either support or attack depending on how the wings are setup so that space isn't exploited behind the wings