Hugojarvis28

Reaction score
Any advice regarding defending corners would be appreciated. I'm in my second season in the Prem with Peterborough and more than half the goals I'm conceding are from corners...Headers, rebounds...the lot! It's ruining my season. Not sure if I'm missing something glaringly obvious or if people are having the same issues.

Cheers

View attachment 426307
View attachment 426306

The players that are set on man mark obviously need good marking stats - check them. They would also need good concentration i.e they don't want to be ball watching as the corner comes in and lose their mark. Also, i'd put someone on the other post. I don't use man marking for corners unless I have a towering CB and they have a serious aerial threat. I don't think IRL that most teams use man marking - usually zonal I thought.

I always use my 3 CBs as mark tall player.
One winger in attack and the other outside the box.
2 WBs on the posts
the rest in the box with no specific instructions.

Also put in match prep defending set pieces.

I once played a team only to defend set-pieces, still conceded because it's not direct header, but a scramble in the box after a clearance.

I had players in the box - Nemanja Matic - 6'4, Branislav Ivanovic - 6'1, Gary Cahill - 6'3, John Terry - 6'2, David Luiz 6'2, Romelu Lukaku - 6'3, (all have 15+ heading) while defending corners, one would think these would obviously clear the ball but no, of course not.

I've noticed that a lot of corners (and free kicks, but there's not much more I can do with them) I concede seem to come at the back post. So, unashamedly, I set two players to mark the back post. My assistant had a shitfit about it every game, but it seemed to cut out most of those back post headers, even with it being my two smallest players on said post.

Just some food for thought.

I'd consider setting your centre backs to 'mark tall player', and assign one of your players to mark the six yard box too. I also found that when I had 3 or 4 players set to just 'go back' they often stood in stupid places near the edge of the box and didn't mark well, so I gave out more specific roles and it solved the majority of the issues. For example you probably want to assign someone to mark the near post as well.

A lot of people are complaining about conceding too many from corners, but in my game about 1 in 12 of the goals I concede are from corners, so I honestly don't think it's a huge issue if the tactics are set up right. Good luck!

Last edited:
Welcome to Football Manager 2014.

At least you should also score a lot (too much) from corners, that's what happens to me.

I once played a team only to defend set-pieces, still conceded because it's not direct header, but a scramble in the box after a clearance.

I had players in the box - Nemanja Matic - 6'4, Branislav Ivanovic - 6'1, Gary Cahill - 6'3, John Terry - 6'2, David Luiz 6'2, Romelu Lukaku - 6'3, (all have 15+ heading) while defending corners, one would think these would obviously clear the ball but no, of course not.

the heading stat doesnt make a difference to winning headers, it is the control the player has over it so basically how successful and accurate they are at heading the ball in the direction they intend to head it, a player with a higher heading attribute will have better control and accuracy of where their headers go i.e on target if its at goal.

Jumping reach and strength are more important factors when challenging to win a header against an opponent whilst positioning is obviously an important factor too.

The issue I've seen in FM2014 is that my centerbacks win the header, but instead of heading the ball clear, they seem to want to head it onto the penalty spot. That's how 75% of the corners are scored against me. I have two great headers of the ball in Kurt Zouma (18) and Aymen Abdennour (17), so it's not the heading skill that's an issue.

Just another crappy thing wrong with a crappy game, this is not just ruining a season it's ruining my whole experience. Serious though i get more corners than opposition and score very few yet they get less than half the corners i get and score on a regular basis and i lose 70% of goals overall to corners.