Continental challenge

Celtic Keenan

Reaction score
Inspired by Derby Jack's fantastic story, I thought I'd try one of my own. Only real goal is to be as successful as possible. Start with no previous experience and try to win trophies in every continent. These are the leagues loaded.

View attachment 105608

Here's a list of available jobs at the start of the game, unlikely to get many of 'em!

View attachment 105607

After being rejected by almost every playable club I've found myself taking a gig in the Chinese First Division. I had thought I'd be starting a job in Scotland but seemingly no-one gets the sack mid-season in the Scottish lower leagues. So, a team I've never heard of will be my first job. An almost brand new club, being formed in 2013!

View attachment 105606
The Chinese season has come to the end and I'll be looking to make an improvement on the 6 wins in the previous season!

View attachment 105605
My squad, a few players aside, seems lacking in quality. With no knowledge of Chinese football I'll be hoping on the scouting team to drastically improve the players at the club!

View attachment 105604

Onwards and upwards!

querque butleigh

Still coming to terms with the weird Chinese rules. I thought I'd got lucky by getting handed a 1.5m transfer budget. Then found out there was some rule that prohibited clubs from making more than 2 over 21 Chinese signings in the transfer window. WTF?! The Chinese; a great bunch of lads.

Read that I get to make 5 (wow!) over 21 signings in another window, they'll need to be selected carefully given the glaring inadequacies of my squad.

Pre-Season
View attachment 105457

Some wins against lower teams, pumped by a few South Korean teams. No real idea what to expect from the season.​

With 2 of my 3 five star players unhappy and wanting away morale is low in the camp. I'm expected to finish 14th. Hoping on an improvement from last season's points tally.

March 2017
View attachment 105454

Pre-match chat was focused on how I'd need a miracle to get something out of the game. Yet the mighty Meizhou manage to get a point in a game we probably should have won based on the amount of chances we had. Late equaliser from the super sub.

View attachment 105453

We probably shaded this, admittedly, dire match. Possibly should have picked up 3 points.

View attachment 105452
First defeat of the season! Fairly even match until they took the lead with a deflected free kick. Was all them after they took the lead and we conceded another chasing an equaliser.

View attachment 105451

Just as expected we're down at the bottom end, will be hoping to get the first victory as quickly as possible next month! And hope my keeper finds it within himself to save a long shot.​

como colegio

April 2017

View attachment 105306

View attachment 105304

First win under the belt! Match could have gone either way but my second choice striker pops up with the vital goal to beat the recently relegated side and we're on the way up the table!

View attachment 105303

Was looking for back to back home wins, was a pretty even match. Unfortunately my strikers don't seem too keen to earn their goalscoring bonuses.

View attachment 105302

Game over after 8 minutes! My keeper has developed a consistent aversion to saving shots from just outside of the box and this cost us for the first again. Had slightly more possession but not creating too much.

View attachment 105301

With a grand total of 0 shots on target we were lucky to escape with a point! My star striker (ahem, 0 goals) broke his arm and will be out for a few months.

View attachment 105300

Went for a more attacking outlook for this match against another of the recently relegated sides. Doesn't seem to have worked though I never felt we were under much pressure. Then again a shot from just outside the box may as well be an open goal with my current keeper. Infuriating.

View attachment 105299

With my transfer restrictions I'm not sure how much I'll be able to improve on current performances as some of the players just aren't up to it. Hope I can limp on to the next transfer window and seriously boost the squad. The performances haven't been so bad but I'm lacking someone to get the goals and someone to stop shots from just outside the box!​

blindee regato

May 2017

View attachment 105273

View attachment 105272

Shenyang were previously without a win so we thought we'd be charitable and help them out for the benefit of the Commie collective. Again we have enough possession but we're not getting anywhere bear enough shots on target.

View attachment 105271

The two teams at the bottom of the table go head to head and we eventually come out on top. Amazed we scored 2 out of 3 shots on target although, admittedly, one was from a late penalty.

View attachment 105270

Any hopes of a cup run were emphatically dashed in my first game in the cup at home to promotion contenders Beikong. I'm beginning to hate my keeper, it's as if he's not even trying with these long range shots! And my striker situation is pretty dire. Dogan is ruled out for 8 months though it doesn't matter much as anyone else in the team is as likely to not score. So no big deal.

View attachment 105269

In a month where we played 2 league games with the 2 teams closest to us I'd have been hoping for at least 4 points. Seems I'm on the same trajectory as whoever was in charge last season!​

June 2017
View attachment 105053

View attachment 105052

6 shots on target! I've changed my tactics and it seems we were a little unlucky here, some promising signs. Before a late setback (you guessed it, long range shot) cost us.

View attachment 105051

Away to a team looking for promotion so it wasn't a bad performance. 2 quick goals had us on the back foot before a late goal gave us some hope. Could have nicked a draw but for some poor finishing.

View attachment 105050

At home to the team just above us in the table so a dominant performance was welcomed. The mighty Meizhou leapfrog Zhongyou in the table!

View attachment 105049

2 wins in a row! And this time it was against the league leaders. As you can see from the stats it was a very even game and we were aided by 2 penalties which saw my moody striker bag a hat trick. This new tactic is finally seeing me get shots on target so that's a major positive!

View attachment 105048

The two wins have moved me up to the heady heights of 13th. The previous manager won 6 games in the whole of last season, while I'm on 4 just approaching the half way point of the season. Barring a disgraceful run of form I think progress will be made!

However, I can't get a grip on the transfer rules. The next transfer window opened and when I went to make a bid for a player I noticed this:

View attachment 105047

Unless there's some glaring information I'm overlooking I think this is a bug in the game and I can't make any signings! If that's the case I can't see me lasting after this season. The seeming transfer ban is a real shame given how desperate I am to sign this guy:
View attachment 105044

Cos we all know the Wu Teng Clan Ain't Nuthin ta F' Wit

July 2017
View attachment 104936

View attachment 104932

We continue our upward trajectory with a third win in a row due to a late goal from the increasingly impressive Hongjun. Really starting to dominate possession with the new tactic.

View attachment 104930

Delighted with this win! 2-0 down after 10 minutes but an inspired Hongjun guarantees us the victory with a hat trick as well as a goal from Zhilin.

View attachment 104929

Threw it away in the last minute! The winning run comes to an undeserved end.

View attachment 104928

Yet again we throw it away at the death. Disappointing but at least we take a point from the match.

View attachment 104927

The mighty Meizhou get another win over promotion hopefuls Tianjin. Despite having the majority of shots we bossed possession and got a fine away win. It looked like we'd concede in the last minute for the third match in a row but we survived to get another win.

View attachment 104926

It's looking a bit better as we're establishing ourselves as a mid-table side. A few wins in a row and we can shoot up the table but a few defeats and we'll be dragged down. Let's hope the steady form continues!​

August/September 17

View attachment 104772

View attachment 104771

Yet another match where we dominate possession and this is enough for the victory as Japa finally decides to start playing to a decent standard.

View attachment 104770

Wuhan were only a couple of places above us in the league so this result was pretty grim. Our defence just weren't up to do it on the day.

View attachment 104769

In an even match we rescued a late point with our main man Japa to thank. A draw was probably deserved but our poor run of results at home is beginning to annoy me. Thankfully our away form has been great.

View attachment 104768

Well, our away form had been good until we went to Changchun and disappointed our 82 traveling fans. They took their chances while we didn't create too much.

View attachment 104767

Back to winning ways on the road against relegation threatened Liansheng. We weren't at the races until we scored but we kept them from getting a shot on target and Tang Shi bagged his first of the season to send the away fans home happy.

View attachment 104766

At home to the team stranded at the bottom of the league so a win was expected. We dominated and went two up though they scored right after our second to set up a nervy finish. 2 wins on the trot, and this was even a home win, finally! Shenyang's one away fan deserves a free ticket.

View attachment 104765

A feisty match that Meizhou come out on top of. Despite going 1-0 down we fight back to secure a second home win in a row. We seem to be in decent form again.

View attachment 104764

Zhongyou might feel aggrieved as we've scored from both our shots on target but the traveling fans don't care as they see their side's winning streak stretch to 4.

View attachment 104763

With our late run of form we've manged to get to 7th. With only 3 games left in the season we've no realistic hopes of promotion but hopefully we can finish as high as possible.​

October 17

View attachment 104759

View attachment 104758

We dominated away to promotion contenders Yiteng but just couldn't get the goal despite them going down to ten men late on.
View attachment 104756

The league leaders came to visit and were incredibly lucky to leave with the points. They got two penalties either side of a Japa goal. For the second game in a row we couldn't take advantage of playing against ten men despite having late chances to rescue at least a point.

View attachment 104755

A disappointing result to finish the season, with seemingly little desire to end the season on a high.

View attachment 104754

All in all a decent enough season and a start to the career. Expected to finish 14th we finished much higher than I thought and barring a poor run of form at the end we could have had an even better position. Not sure what to do now though as the transfer restrictions would mean carrying on with Meizhou ridiculous. Unless it was a big for a season? Dunno how that could happen though...

My best 11

View attachment 104753

Season Review

View attachment 104752

View attachment 104676

Given my frustrations with signings I refused the contracts offered by Meizhou and left the club. Taking charge of the team stranded at the bottom of League 1. It's in the January transfer window so I'm hoping I can get a few in to halt the current form. The board want me to avoid automatic relegation, so basically to get to 9th position by the end of the season.

View attachment 104675

Here's a look at our current squad, we're short on quality in a few positions (most noticeably up front).
View attachment 104674

Our first game is away at Celtic Park in the Scottish Cup which, hopefully, will aid our finances a touch. League has to be the focus in any case!

January 18

View attachment 104664

View attachment 104663

Our keeper played well to keep the score down. A respectable scoreline, we had no hopes of getting off to a winning start given it's basically the hardest match in Scottish football!

View attachment 104662

A much needed win and good performance from the lads. A stunning free kick from Love and a late goal from the super sub to make our numerical advantage count.

View attachment 104661

We've managed to close the gap on Albion Rovers and our next match is at home to 8th placed Cowdenbeath. So let's hope we can give the Blue Brazil a doing and gain ground on them.

Was able to get affiliated with Hearts at the end of the window when I could only make one more loan signing. Strengthened in a few positions and some of them have improved the quality of the team. No players left. My massive signing was the most spent in the division!
View attachment 104660

February/March 17
View attachment 104530

View attachment 104529

The positive start continues as we make it 2 wins in 2, against fellow strugglers Cowdenbeath thanks to a late Smith finish.

View attachment 104528

Promotion contenders leave with the points after our promising left back gives away a penalty.

View attachment 104527

A frustrating afternoon as we can't grab the goal we deserved. Which will become a theme.

View attachment 104526

A game short on chances. My striker is making a mockery of his position.

View attachment 104525

A six-pointer of a game. We go away to 9th placed Albion Rovers looking to get off the bottom of the table and manage to do so thanks to Kerr's goal from a corner. Thankfully our keeper bails us out after our left back, McNeil, once again gives away a penalty!

View attachment 104524

Pretty toothless performance as we do little with our possession. Doing well in defence, terrible in attack.

View attachment 104523

On the face of it a point away to league leaders St Mirren is a decent point but they were down to 9 fecking men! Getting worried that my lack of goals will cost me in this relegation battle.

View attachment 104522

Worried about my lack of goals I try some new tactics and instantly regret it as we get smashed by Stranraer. Back to the drawing board!

View attachment 104521

4 games left and we're in a very precarious position. Our lack of goals is the biggest problem, really needing someone to step up and make a name for themselves.

Our remaining fixtures see us play a few mid table teams (Arbroath and Queen's Park), a game against fellow strugglers Cowdenbeath and away to second in the league Dumbarton. I think 9th, and a relegation playoff, is the best I can hope for with relegation still a total possibility.
View attachment 104520

April 18
View attachment 104519

A grim start to our run of games. Another penalty conceded. Only good news is that Albion were also beaten.

View attachment 104518

Yet another penalty conceded. We get a point away to 2nd placed Dumbarton mainly down to them giving us a helping hand by getting a man sent off. It all goes down to the last game, 1 point behind Albion.

View attachment 104517

Can't score against 9 men Queen's Park and a thoroughly deserved relegation. Let's see if I keep my job! Bad start to Scottish football.​

Seemingly my board don't care that we were relegated after some pathetic performances so, on we go! They are wanting us to win the league this year which is fair enough. After giving it some thought I think some of the tactics weren't suited to Scottish football. Who cares about possession when you can't score a goal?!

Betfred Cup Group Stages
View attachment 103948
Going up against them is hard enough without our wantaway midfielder McCormack getting himself sent off in the second half. For a brief period it looked like we'd take them to penalties (if it's a draw after 90 minutes it goes straight to penalties with the winners getting 2 points and the losers getting a point) but 2 late goals dashed my hopes of an encouraging result.
View attachment 103947
Another late defeat at the hands of much bigger opposition. The goal came as I chnged tactics in the hope of grabbing an unlikely winner but we return to Glebe Park pointless.
View attachment 103946
Dunno how we managed it but it's our revenge for the big defeat last season that really dented our survival hopes. Gourlay is the hero of the day saving two penalties! 2 points on the board.
View attachment 103945
Grim. Our attacking woes continue as we can't score a goal against non-league opposition. Why are the board still happy with my performance?! Gourlay managed to save another few penalties but my youths lacked the composure to take advantage of this by missing 3 penalties.
View attachment 103944
Rangers*, as expected, top the group. Stranraer cause a shock pipping Dundee Utd in the last game. I finish where I was expected to but not being able to beat Brora is a terrible black mark against my time as manager.

I signed a promising striker from Hearts on loan but he was ruled out for a few months so I'm now pinning all my hopes on this guy. He must work out for us or I'll be facing the sack!
View attachment 103943
I'm hoping a 14 for finishing is a guarantee of goals in League 2!​

View attachment 103942

I've brought in a new number 1 in Gourlay and I'm hopeful over the loan deals I've managed to bring in particularly Paton and Roy (who's unfortunately out injured). A few youngsters with potential (Loudon, Hegarty) who can hopefully make the step up. Orsi is the man I'm hoping can fire us to the title.

A few players left who I was happy enough to see go. However late in the transfer window Championship Falkirk bid for my first choice right back. I negotiated a deal that would be acceptable to the club (still in debt) and Falkirk agreed to the terms. It meant I went out and signed Cairns at centre half and will push Kerr to right back, deputised by new signing Hegarty.

August 18

View attachment 103941

New season and it looked to be the same old story. Down to ten men and a goal down at half time. It looked like we'd be heading to an opening day defeat before Celtic loanee Welsh smashes in from a cross and Graham scores a long range effort to secure the three points for ten man Brechin!

View attachment 103940

Away to our rivals Montrose and we take the lead through Orsi who nets on his debut. Unfortunately we are pegged back and we're unable to find the winner.

View attachment 103939

The draw for the Challenge Cup could have been a lot worse so a disappointing way to go out of the tournament. Game seemed even enough in terms of chances. Never wanted to win this tournament anyway! All about the league.
View attachment 103937

We get the chance for immediate revenge over Clyde and take it as goals from right winger Loudon and Orsi are enough despite a late goal from journeyman Magennis.

View attachment 103936

A steady start to the league as the favourites find themselves in second spot after the opening matches. 4-4-2 has made a return and I'm hoping my strikers can mask some of the other deficiencies in the squad.

My squad at the end of the transfer window:

View attachment 103935
View attachment 103934

With quite a few players having a current ability of 2 stars I'll really be relying on a few players to stand out but hopefully the youth can progress over the season and get their ratings up.​

September 18

View attachment 103921

View attachment 103920

Despite racing into an early lead through two Dangana goals we were under the cosh for much of the match and only seemed comfortable after a late Loudon strike broke Peterhead's morale.

View attachment 103919

Our good start continues with our strikers grabbing a goal each to get us going. Edinburgh managed to get a goal back but that was quickly followed by our midfield maestro, Graham, taking it upon himself to drag the team forward by getting a goal almost immediately. He later killed off the match before we conceded a late consolation goal. Bad news in the form of our keeper getting injured and being ruled out for 5 weeks.

View attachment 103918

Where did this come from? Just as we looked to be going on a good run of form Annan pop up to remind us we're actually pretty *****. Not a shot on target and a second red card of the season already from Jambo midfielder Paton. I can't even fine him as we're paying none of his wages.

View attachment 103917

So, 1 point clear despite the setback in the last match. Decent enough form and I'm hoping we don't miss our keeper to much in the coming weeks.​

Back