Jackkflash

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am sure I will not be the only person to have asked this but I am not happy with my team plugging away with little return.

I understand to me more "clinical" I should use the work the ball into the box instruction, but I have Benteke (partnered with Celtics Dembele) and I want to use Benteke for crosses and that nice knock down on the counter.

I do have Lucas Silva in the middle instructed to take long shots, but he is pretty decent at that.

Will work the ball into the box cancel out my use of Benteke?

Is there another way to help my players not spurn these chances?

Do I have to somehow turn them into clear cuts? How so?

Please fill me with your knowledge.

Work Ball Into Box reduces crosses and long shots.

Just use logic.

If you have a guy like Benteke or Crouch is it wise to pump the ball or to work it into the box? If you use work the ball into the box, all players will use more short passes and dribbles to enter the box and shoot, making it useless to have a 6 foot guy in the box waiting to head it!

It will also open the defense more, since the full backs need to cover crosses and will not support the center back.

About long shots.I see my team using it a lot in 3 situations:

- When the tactic is not gelled
- When you have 9 defenders in the box
- When you play bad

This last one occur to me in FM17. Every time my full backs under performed, the long shots ratio would raise from 20% to 60%, as they where my main source of crosses.

Hope it helps

The work ball into box and better chances is a myth. It's all about how the players and system pieces fit each other. What happens I think is that possession basic tactics are too popular, there are too many people who look so much to get possession that work ball fits with their systems to get them working as intended, so they turn out to find it improves their chances, but it doesn't mean it's an universal get better chances switch.

So I should pump the ball into the box but there is no true way to increase my conversion rate?

but there is no true way to increase my conversion rate?
There are obviously ways to improve it. Scorers need time and space. Do you give them that?

With the crosses... are there targets (more than 1) to aim for? Is the box packed with defenders usually? Did you think about setting a specific type of delivery?

We're going to be messaging for 5 pages at this rate, still without going anywhere. If you're looking for 1 magic button, it doesn't exist. I'd say post the tactic and what the specific issues are and lets see if you can be helped.

Last edited: