sufcjord

Reaction score
After having an extremely successful Liverpool save, where won the champions league in my 3rd season and the premier league the season after, getting rid of the deadwood and singing stars like Edinson Cavani and Falcao, I decided to give myself a bit more of a challenge. City - The Story So Far....

View attachment 295766 View attachment 295768View attachment 295769

After Mark Robins ended his extremely short reign as The Sky Blues boss on personal grounds, Coventry chairman Tom Fisher looked for a bit more stability in a manager, and hired the ambitious young manager John Daley, at just 34, could he lead Coventry back to the championship?

Chairman Tom Fisher made it clear he wanted promotion in the first season so the pressure was instantly on John Daley to succeed and without any money available to spend on players, surely it wasn't going to be an easy ride for John?

2012/13 - Target: Promotion, Personal Target: Promotion, Budget: £0

Upon arrival I knew I joined a club with huge prospects, a large stadium and a good core squad with the likes of David Bell, John Fleck, Stephen Elliott, Joe Murphy and Richard Wood. However the squad lacked depth and I would have to change this with the little money I have.

Summer Signings

This was a bust period for me, I definitely needed a GK due to only having one decent one in Joe Murphy, and because I play 5 in midfield I needed to strengthen that area

Incoming
Mikkel Anderson (Loan,GK)
Robbie Nielson (Free, RB)
Radoslaw Majewski (Loan, CAM)
Junior Agogo (Free, ST)
David Prutton (Free, CM)
Rudi Skacel (Free, CM)
Darius Vassel (Free, ST)

Outgoing
Darius Vassel, he was awful so released him after 2 months

Pre-Season

This was a little hit and miss for me, my concentration was to become comfortable with my formations so this meant very heavy training on Team Cohesion and Teamwork. My preferred formation is 4-5-1 chelsea style (see below), for back ups I had a very offensive 4-4-2 and a defensive 5-4-1

------GK------
RB--CB-CB--LB
----CM-CM----
----IF-T-IF----
------AF-----

Attacking, quick,short passing, fluid and very expressive and zonal marking

My pre-season friendly's were pretty hit and missing, winning 2-1 against Blackpool to then go and lose 2-1 to Rotherham United. Anway..

The Season Begins

Capital One 1st round draw gave me a home tie V Plymouth Argyle. I lost 3-1 (J.Agogo). I think I took this too lightly so it was my fault. 1 cup down, 2 to go.

My first game of the season was against Brentford at home. It's fair to say I played my strongest team, we lost this game 2-3 (J.Agogo, McGoldrick). I was genuinely gutted and even though it was 2 games, I started to wonder what I got myself in for.

After this game I publicly criticized my team and something must have clicked because I then went on a run of 24 unbeaten games, drawing just 4 of these. This pumped me right to the top of the league, and we were starting to run away with the league. Most memorable wins below;

Portsmouth 0 - 5 Coventry (C.Ball, Agogo, McSheffrey, Fleck, Majewski)
Coventry 4 - 1 Swindon (C. Ball 3, Agogo)
Carlilse 0 - 5 Coventry (Agogo, C.Ball 3)

As you can see, Junior Agogo started to prove a huge signing for me, netting 11 in his first 12 and then he tore his hamstring. Being 33 his stats majorly decreased and after 3 months out, he finished the season 14 goals in 26 games. Also Callum Ball proved to be the star of the season, see later on his finishing goals/game ratio, very impressive!.

January

By January, I was clear at the top by around 14 points. However, the chairman still didn't provide funds.

I was instantly linked with Scott Wootton, I like him on the game, good stats and always performs. 200k asking price was off putting. I request some money and got 70k, lovely.

Joe Murphy has cemented the number one spot, so Mikkel Anderson only managed 5 league games and requested his loan to be terminated, I obliged. Turns out afterwards he rejected a move to Sunderland solely on Appearance fee, he then went on loan to Crawley.

Out of the blue Gillingham bought a reserve CB for 150k, great!. I then bought Scott Wootton for 200k.

I also managed to get Marc Albrighton on loan.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy and the League

We went all the way in the JPT and drew Swindon in the Final. We won this 2-0 with goals from Callum Ball and Jordan Clarke. This made the Chairman happy atleast.

We finished the season on 98 points which was 15 points clear of Leyton Orient, I was delighted with this. However we endured a poor end to the season losing 2 and drawing 2 games. The chairman was delighted with the league.

Season Summary

I definitely hit my personal target of promotion.

Top performers

Callum Ball -46 games 39 goals 12 assists. Value went from 600k to £3.2mill so no chance of signing him permanently.

Joe Murphy - 38 games 29 conceeded 16 Clean sheets. Rock solid in goal.

David Prutton - Played well every game, 7.66 average rating

Stephen Elliot - 15 games 7 goals. Injuries restricted him.

William Edjenguele - 7.46 average rating.

John Fleck - 21 total assists

Honours

League 1 champions
Johnstone's paint trophy winners

Second season in the championship to follow, I've made some exciting signings and progressing well. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy!

I am a Coventry fan so too am playing as CCFC. My first season I also got promoted and won the JPT. The squad is decent enough for League 1 with a few loan/free additions to increase squad depth. For me Stephen Elliot was top scorer about 29 goals. Other key players were The Edge, Baker , McDonald, and Korey Smith (CM) who I loaned from Norwich was fantastic.

Just started season 2. Good Luck.