rbrady_07

Reaction score
Hello all,

I setup FM11 using steam but when it comes to my 1st game it crashes and sends a crash dump which is wonderful but I don't know what it means or how to fix it! Everything else seems to be working fine up until I play a game.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Robert

SI are **** at dealing with errors. I've been asking them since Thursday night, Everything they've suggested hasn't rectified it.

Taking the biscuit to be honest!

as ive said before its a generic thing, it isnt one particular thing that causes a crash dump. i'd start with looking at all the facepacks etc you have on, and your computer in general ie if you're on steam veryifying game cache etc

@ Madsheep

I have no facepacks, logos etc on fm2011 yet. I usually wait a while to add them. I have no idea how to do the cache thing.

@ Ross

Yep on steam. I had it preloaded a few hours before release.

Edit: Saw your link I'll try that. Apologies people!

Last edited:
I have had tons of trouble since getting the game on Thursday morning. I am also playing it via Steam and i only got it working tonight. I wasn't getting crash dumps as my game wouldn't even load via Steam.
I had to un-install Vista and install Windows 7 and then re-install Steam, but from a fresh setup (not the one i had saved on ym external hard drive) and then i re-installed FM on Steam and it's working well. I have only played 3 friendlies so far. Are you getting the crash dumps on your first league game or first friendly?? Have you used a save game editor before your first game? Have you got tons of face packs and other graphics loaded in your game? Can your pc/laptop handle FM11?? A few things can cause it.

Maybe a complete un-install of Steam and going to the website and getting a fresh setup and re-installing FM11 may work.

There is a kind of way, are you using Steam?

---------- Post added at 04:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 AM ----------

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f109/this-is-how-to-fix-crash-dumps-t50917.html

I ran the verfitcation part and it failed to find 3 bits and said it was aquiring them. Do I reverify it first or do the defrag part?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Ok have validated and its all there now and defrag is done. So I'll try a match...fingers crossed.

Again thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I've only ever had two crash dumps, the problem causing them was fixed in FM10's first patch. So i can't say I'm the most knowledgeable when it comes to fixing them.

It is correct to say that there is no one cause for crash dumps, many different things can be responsible. There is no fix announcement from SI at the moment, and only limited advice on their support forum, so unless the tips in the following thread help, there's not alot that can be done at the moment.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f115/xml-issues-failed-to-set-up-graphics-and-crash-dumps-t50859.html

Thanks for your help, still crashes about 2 mins into just 2D highlights.

I've tried the other stuff on SI that they have suggested but no luck. I'll wait for them to come back with some idea.

Only thing I haven't tried is to uninstall the game and reinstall it. How do I go about it tho as I downloaded direct from steam and have no disc. Do I have to do it via the add or remove programs in control panel? And will I be able to download it again via steam?

Thanks for your help, still crashes about 2 mins into just 2D highlights.

I've tried the other stuff on SI that they have suggested but no luck. I'll wait for them to come back with some idea.

Only thing I haven't tried is to uninstall the game and reinstall it. How do I go about it tho as I downloaded direct from steam and have no disc. Do I have to do it via the add or remove programs in control panel? And will I be able to download it again via steam?
open steam and uninstall it through there, and yes you can re download from steam. i suggest doing it tonight, so that you can set it to download overnight

Cool have just uninstalled it, just installing again now.

Thanks for the help

hope it sorts out for you. thats the crappy thing about crash dumps, very hardto pin down the cause, i know some people have had due to things not even related to fm so you might just wanna have a once over on your computer (defrag, virus scan, registry scan etc)

Yeah on my lap top that fried a virus stopped steam loading, updating etc....so I'll have a browse through all that stuff. May free up some space of the junk I don't need too.

Thanks again.

I'm sure there are other people out there who have had there game destroyed by Crash Dumps errors, sometimes ******** your save, sometimes even preventing you from starting new games forcing you to re-install only to come across the same problem later down the line.

So here is my 2 part guide to Crash Dumps, part 1 is how to set your game up to minimize the chances of your game ever getting this error, and part 2 is what to do to recover your save (If possible) and get your game back to a working state if you had this error already. Part 1 pretty much lists all issues that cause Crash Dumps and to set your self up to prevent it from happening.

Crash Dumps Prevention

There are certain things that increase your chances of getting an error, here is a list

1) FMRTE - Just dont go there, it screws your data base up beyond repair, you will not be able to get your corrupt save back if you have used this editor. Sometimes its been to known to cause damage to your windows registry too, unless SI make an official in game editor, using third party programs like this is all to risky stay away.

2) Size of Game - Even though I believe I have found the solutions to 99% of crash dump issues, it does not change the fact the game is not without major issues, the games coding causing endless memory leaks that lead to Crash Dumps errors.
So what I'm saying is try to go easy on your database size, either slow or at most medium size data base when starting a new game.
Also dont go crazy with the amount of leagues you select to be playable, if you have a good system 10 leagues at max.
If you must have lots of leagues and large data base I recommend you have at least 6GB of DDR2 or DDR3 ram, if you have an older system DDR ram will not cut it for crazy data base sizes.

3)Everything Up to Date ? - Make sure the following are up to date
+ Graphics Card Driver (Use manfactures site, sometimes windows will not find the most up to date driver)
+ Java - Make sure you have the latest Version
+Direct X - Latest Version your system is compatible with

4) General Settings in Game These are optional but I recommend you use these settings to prevent errors.
Uncheck the following boxes
+Use Skin Cache
+ Enable Data Collection (This is an important one, it will stop FM constantly building up the RAM useage and prevent Crash Dumps)
+ Play in Windowed Mode, Minimize, and Maximize Every Hour.
+ Disable sounds, and 3D cameras, the 3D sucks anyway text all the way.
+Play with Autosave weekly, 3 file rolling save for back ups, better safe than sorry.
+ Uncheck Threading, if you have a Dual Core processor, you do not need this to be checked, it takes away a complication. However if you have one processor with Threading technology keep it ticked, other wise the game performance will be poor.

5) Your Hardware Before Playing FM 2010 you need to be confident your hardware is all fully working, so you can rule that out if you need to trouble shoot in case you get the Crash Dump.
Consider and do the following before installing the game

+Power Supply - Is it at a high enough Voltage for my Graphics card ?, find out and upgrade power supply if need be, you should not be using a Graphics card if your power supply is under the recommended amount, your system will become very unstable, let alone Football Manager.

+Hard Drive Error Free, run Chkdsk, a windows tool to see if your hard drive has any errors.
To run chekdsk press the windows button and R, then in the run box type in CMD, the in the black command box type in chkdsk and press enter.
You should have a report of no errors, or windows will fix errors

+ Faulty RAM - This was the culprit for me, run a program called MEMTEST86, you need to download and Burn it to CD, restart your PC with the CD in the drive and let it scan.
If you are error free all good, if not note which RAM slot is reporting errors, remove or replace that RAM.http://www.memtest86.com/

+Dust Bunnies - Your system would be unstable in general if you have these, if it is a little unstable check the innards of your PC for obvious dust, blow to free dust from sensitive areas.

If you ever get Blue Screen errors while browsing, gaming, multi tasking, then Football Manager will certainly Crash Dump you ***.

Okay if you follow all these steps prior to installing your game you are very unlikely to get the crash dumps error again.

Thanks for all your comments guys. Have tried a few things, only problem I have is that my graphics card is not strong enough for 3D which is fine but surely still shouldn't cause it to crash during my very 1st match.

Very dissapointed in FM, things like this seem to happen every year to people (although 1st time for me)

There seems to be very little help from SI Games.

did un-installing and re-installing the game work m8? might try that myself!!!

Nah I uninstalled and reinstalled it but mine is still not working. I got past a friendly in commentary only but it dump crashed on the next game.

I think my graphic card may be to blame to some extent, as it my older PC that I kept as a back up that I'm using due to Hard disk corruption on my newer pc and the mother board on my lappy frying. Thing is I don't really want to buy a graphics card for it as it is of the PCI variety and not many places stock it, plus if that doesn't rectify it I'd be wasting cash.

I've been planning to get a new system any way, so maybe I'll stick with FM 2010 until I sort out a new comp.