Creating a Counter attack tactic

Reaction score
Hey Guys..

Lately i've been trying to make a Counter attacking tactic.. but it seem to fail..

What i want from the tactic is, something like what real madrid does in real life.. Scoring a lot of goals from counter attacks, creating a lot of chances, even though they dont have the most possesion.. and then ofc conced only a few goals..

I created a tactic which actually turned out fairly good, but i only did score 1.6 as avg, although i conceded only 0.8 as avg.

Any help or tips on how to make a successful counter attack is highly appreciated.. And please dont link any already made tactics!

Thanks in Advance

Hey mate!

What's your team? It depends on your team, I guess.

I suggest:

Fluid/balanced
Counter-Attack

Direct pass
More disciplined aproach
Press more
Zonal Marking
More roaming

What do you think about shouts? I think they're very useful to our approaches in this FM. You can use them to push up your defence, play narrower, etc. Raikan as a very good guide to do this.

Then, I guess you have to look at your team. Do you have a good deep lying playmaker? A good defensive mid or anchor men? It's about your team to specify the roles of the players. Maybe if you put here I can give you an opinion.

Hey mate!

What's your team? It depends on your team, I guess.

I suggest:

Fluid/balanced
Counter-Attack

Direct pass
More disciplined aproach
Press more
Zonal Marking
More roaming

What do you think about shouts? I think they're very useful to our approaches in this FM. You can use them to push up your defence, play narrower, etc. Raikan as a very good guide to do this.

Then, I guess you have to look at your team. Do you have a good deep lying playmaker? A good defensive mid or anchor men? It's about your team to specify the roles of the players. Maybe if you put here I can give you an opinion.

I am using the shouts: Get ball forward, pass into space and get the ball into the box.

I am using Anchorman+Dlp as the DMC's,

Hmmm.. I guess it depends on the opposition. Get ball forward increases the passing range and the tempo. Maybe it's not good for some games, when you're leading for 1-0 and need to keep the ball. For example, if you use "push higher up" but don't penetrate in opposition, it's good to untick that shout to make the other team leave their's midfield and then you can bang them in counter-attack. In other example, Mike suggests other combo: drop deeper, retain possession and pass into space. Makes the same effect. You have to read about the shouts and keep an eye on the match and see what happens and then decide.

As for the players (you're Madrid I guess) I'll use that combo (dlp+anchor men), AML (Ronaldo as IF), AMC (Ozil, Kaka as Attack'in midfielder), Di Maria as Right Midfielder to provide some security (Defensive Winger), and Benzema or Higuain as Poacher. If use Modric I think the best role is in the MC spot as Advanced Playmaker and then Di Maria play in AMR (IF)

This is my opinion... :)

Hmmm.. I guess it depends on the opposition. Get ball forward increases the passing range and the tempo. Maybe it's not good for some games, when you're leading for 1-0 and need to keep the ball. For example, if you use "push higher up" but don't penetrate in opposition, it's good to untick that shout to make the other team leave their's midfield and then you can bang them in counter-attack. In other example, Mike suggests other combo: drop deeper, retain possession and pass into space. Makes the same effect. You have to read about the shouts and keep an eye on the match and see what happens and then decide.

As for the players (you're Madrid I guess) I'll use that combo (dlp+anchor men), AML (Ronaldo as IF), AMC (Ozil, Kaka as Attack'in midfielder), Di Maria as Right Midfielder to provide some security (Defensive Winger), and Benzema or Higuain as Poacher. If use Modric I think the best role is in the MC spot as Advanced Playmaker and then Di Maria play in AMR (IF)

This is my opinion... :)

Well i am planning to play Özil as an advanced playmaker and both ronaldo and di maria as inside forwards, and benzema as poacher.

Of course that's the ideal plan. But be aware about the gap in the midfield..
Good luck :)

Counter attack works better with a deep defensive line, direct passing and wing play I think.

try this one from fmkorea.net,i not the maker...
its base on Arsenal 0304 Unbeaten season,i call it "onetouch & quick counter tactic".

View attachment 291683

Last edited:
I would give Woody's counter tactic or the tactic I have uploaded here myself. They are both tactics which are predominantly built around quick, effective counter attacking (my favorite style of play)

I've noticed that having your central midfielders in the DM positions is very effective in this years game, especially when playing on the counter attack. Set them to play through balls often, direct'ish passing. Have the whole team close down own half and tackling hard. Full backs run with ball also seems to work for me.

Of course that's the ideal plan. But be aware about the gap in the midfield..
Good luck :)

Okay here is another one..

I want Ronaldo, Benzema and Di Maria, to stay high up the pitch, and not participating in defense much, i would rather have them in good position when i get the ball, to launch some deadly counter attacks.. How do i do that? Do you have any suggestions?

hi mate!
How are things going? Which are your results?
High mentality, low creative freedom (to do just the attack'in part), loose marking (not tight marking), etc..
But, be aware on the other teams full back's and your team player's being in disadvantage when they counter-attack you. See Madrid's left wing when Ronaldo doesn't defend for example. This is why I told you to play Di Maria on a more defensive role to provide some defensive security..

Last edited:
hi mate!
How are things going? Which are your results?
High mentality, low creative freedom (to do just the attack'in part), loose marking (not tight marking), etc..
But, be aware on the other teams full back's and your team player's being in disadvantage when they counter-attack you. See Madrid's left wing when Ronaldo doesn't defend for example. This is why I told you to play Di Maria on a more defensive role to provide some defensive security..

I have this problem, that i want to use a counter tactic as the standard tactic, against any team, but i just doesnt seem to be scoring enough :s, even against some smaller teams i draw because they might play more defensive..

yeah that's normal. maybe switch to control but kept a deep d-line, higher tempo, etc. and put defenders, dmc's and maybe a mc/mac with a low press in order to make the other team chase onto you. but since you're Madrid I don't think that the ME allow you to play all the games in that way :s

Back