Crossing Problems

• Thread starter Thread starter Dicko1878
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 10K

Dicko1878

Reaction score
I'm working on my new tactic and the biggest problem is my cross completion percentage, its always around the 15-20% mark. I know what i want the crossing to do, run to the byline and drill a cross into the box for a forward to throw themselves at.

I've set my crosses to "drill" and the aim "near post". My wingers are set to "hug touchline" and to cross from "byline". The wingers i have are Dusan Tadic (19 crossing) and Sebastian Blanco (15 crossing), my strikers are Carlos Tevez and Ermin Zec, so not target men.

Is it worth changing the aim to "far post"? is it to do with "runs from deep"? Any ideas to maximise goals from crosses would be create.

The main thing is the setting, as how they should cross, but instead when, under the circumstances they do. If the opponent sits with 10 men behind the ball, it doesn not matter how you cross ( although some settings will see you struggle more). If the opponent is in a good defenisve position to clear the ball, they will win most one-to-one situation in the air

I have abou 20-25 % crossing rate and score from about 1 every game. Here, the crosses that provides me with a goal is either from the fullback ( liniking up with up with the winger that passes backwards from the byline) or from a striker onto the other striker at the far post. Playing with a top team, I rarely see us scoring when a winger makes a cross as at that time, our players have no made enough movement to drag the opposition out of position

The main thing is the setting, as how they should cross, but instead when, under the circumstances they do. If the opponent sits with 10 men behind the ball, it doesn not matter how you cross ( although some settings will see you struggle more). If the opponent is in a good defenisve position to clear the ball, they will win most one-to-one situation in the air

I have abou 20-25 % crossing rate and score from about 1 every game. Here, the crosses that provides me with a goal is either from the fullback ( liniking up with up with the winger that passes backwards from the byline) or from a striker onto the other striker at the far post. Playing with a top team, I rarely see us scoring when a winger makes a cross as at that time, our players have no made enough movement to drag the opposition out of position

I was considering making my full back to cross "sometimes" instead of rarely and to cross from the byline. Also considering changing my wingers cross aim to far post what do you think?

I was considering making my full back to cross "sometimes" instead of rarely and to cross from the byline. Also considering changing my wingers cross aim to far post what do you think?

Woudl depend ion the tactic. If you are using fullbacks that are more cautious, then letting them cross from byline will only be wasting precious time and the opponents defence will have got back in position again but if thet are really attacking, then do it. Aslo, against far post..how is going to be there ?. If you have someone there, then go for it I say :D

Woudl depend ion the tactic. If you are using fullbacks that are more cautious, then letting them cross from byline will only be wasting precious time and the opponents defence will have got back in position again but if thet are really attacking, then do it. Aslo, against far post..how is going to be there ?. If you have someone there, then go for it I say :D

thank god for the first bit haha my tactic is defensively solid at the moment and i dont want to mess with the full-backs. Well I've got both my wingers and strikers to "run from deep" often so there should be, ill give it a whirl and hopefully i can get more goals from crosses =]

Instructions for fullbacks:

1) cross from deep
2) cross aim near post (if crossing less than 10) centre (if between 11-15) and far post (if 15+)
3) no long shots, hug touchline (but put on tight marking/man and high closing down) through balls sometimes
4) run with ball and run from deep sometimes (little creative freedom)

use shouts: look for overlap, pump crossess or look for early cross

instructions for wingers:

1) cross from byline
2) cross often, through balls sometimes, run from deep and run with ball always
3) little freedom, high attacking, hug touchline
4) crossing same as above
5) right footer on Amr and left footer on Aml
6) make sure they dont have PPM's like: cut inside etc!

use shouts: play wider, exploit flanks, pass into space, get ball forward

wingers PPM's: recommended:

1) knocks ball past opponent
2) runs with ball often
3) hugs left/right touchline

Instructions for fullbacks:

1) cross from deep
2) cross aim near post (if crossing less than 10) centre (if between 11-15) and far post (if 15+)
3) no long shots, hug touchline (but put on tight marking/man and high closing down) through balls sometimes
4) run with ball and run from deep sometimes (little creative freedom)

use shouts: look for overlap, pump crossess or look for early cross

instructions for wingers:

1) cross from byline
2) cross often, through balls sometimes, run from deep and run with ball always
3) little freedom, high attacking, hug touchline
4) crossing same as above
5) right footer on Amr and left footer on Aml
6) make sure they dont have PPM's like: cut inside etc!

use shouts: play wider, exploit flanks, pass into space, get ball forward

wingers PPM's: recommended:

1) knocks ball past opponent
2) runs with ball often
3) hugs left/right touchline

Ive tried this for around 14 games and im still having problems with my crossing and it just not doing what i want it to do. I think i might just get everyone to drill a cross to the centre from a mixed position and see how that goes =]

It's not weird because scoring from crosses in FM and IRL isn't that common unless you have wingers with pace of Walcott and crossing of Beckham.However I've found things that help scoring from cross more often.Always tick the counter attack box, have your wingers with attacking mentality, lots of freedom, rfd and rwb often, cross often and wide play 'NORMAL'. The reason why I don't use hug touchline because the winger will cross from further position from the goal which make it harder to score. And cross from 'mixed' because 'byline' will make your cross more likely to be blocked.

crossing in Fm has been ***** for many years :) dont beat yourself up about it!

Agree with the above. Going back to what I said, remember that ute not only down to how you cross, but also when and under what circumstances. If you see alot Of uncomplete crosses spoiling your result, possession and your tactic relying on them, then you have à problem. But if you- just like me- dont make that many in the first place, then I would drop it. It might be that they come as à last resort or that you actually benefit from them without knowing/ acknowlege it. Perhaps the opponent gets furst to the ball bur that the cross disturbes the opponents defensive positioning, providing you with more space to put in that key pass seconds later.

Cheers guy, it is really frustrating when you can see 3 players ready to just tap the ball in from a cross... Ill try what AgentVinz has said because i have noticed that the crosses from byline nearly always get blocked and hugging the touchline makes them cross from deep etc.

Also quick question, I'm using Tevez as a deep-lying forward with pass ball to feet, are there any tall powerful DLFs out there because that might add a bit more to my team for crosses. thanks again =]

Back