m160k

Reaction score
I am a simple man, i want 3 things of my wingers

stay as high as possible
stay as wide as possible
when you receive the ball, don't dribble. re-shuffle it

And after all these years, i still cant make my wingers play like this. If i want them to not dribble, i have to pick either raumdeuter or wide playmaker. But they will stay in the middle of the park, not wide. And if i want them to stay wide - i have to pick winger or inside forward with "stay wide" instruction. But then they will keep trying to dribble, when they receive the ball.

Also, no matter which one i pick, the winger will NEVER push higher than the forward. They will from time to time end up higher, but then imidietely fallback behind the striker again. And at the end of the game, winger's average position will ALWAYS be deeper than the striker's. And if i just replace my false9 striker with attacking midfielder trequartista, the wingers will stay even deeper! They will never go higher than the man in the middle, it's just how the game engine is coded. This infuriates me so much!

Now, you may ask, why i want all of this? Well, so i can finally implement a formation, known as "Cryuff's diamond". It has a diamond in the middle of the pitch and 2 strikers upfront, but the strikers actually hug the touchline, this way dictating both the wideness of the pitch and how high the opponent's central defenders can afford to stay.

Wide Target Man - Attack Duty. Less risky passes. ? With an AMC - S. Get Further forward?. Dont know if that actually solves the problem but would test that

No, because when you play with WTM, it makes your midfielders more likely to pump long balls to the flangs. Also, There are almost no good wingers, that are natural in WTM. And strength is main attribute for WTM, and the idea of the wingers in Cryuff's diamond is to run behind and to try to beat the offside.
Also, it is very exagerated, that they actually stay wide. As soon as the ball gets into the final third, they go narrow.
I have tried this so many times, it just does not work.

Last edited:
Maybe AP on support duty with a PI of Stay Wider and Dribble Less?

However they wont push higher than the striker. Maybe try a striker-less formation?

Yes, the AP wont push forward.
And about the strikerless, i run into the same issue, how will it help me?

Yes, the AP wont push forward.
And about the strikerless, i run into the same issue, how will it help me?

Umm... Do the wide guys still drop deeper if you use an AM on support? (That is, do they drop deeper than your AM too?)

Also, I think you can achieve this diamond by using Winger on attack on both flanks, in a striker less formation. Have you tried this yet?

Last edited:
I am not sure if they will go deeper if i use the central AM on support. Will defnly try it.
Yes, i tried strikerless with all of the winger types. I tried with trequartista, enganche and AM on attack duty. The wingers allways drop deeper than the central man. I also messed around with the rigidity of the formation. No effect.

I am not sure if they will go deeper if i use the central AM on support. Will defnly try it.
Yes, i tried strikerless with all of the winger types. I tried with trequartista, enganche and AM on attack duty. The wingers allways drop deeper than the central man. I also messed around with the rigidity of the formation. No effect.

Have you tried this:
Winger- attack. AP-support. Winger-attack

Team Mentality: counter
Team Shape: structured
TI: dribble less, more disciplined, stick to positions, sit narrower, Exploit the flanks
PI for wingers : dribble less, more direct passing, stay wider

I think you should also try this if you haven't already. It won't create the ideal diamond you want, but the wingers should stay wide and act as kind of wide strikers looking to beat the offside.

Last edited: