Cyclists Ahoy!

Roymo

Reaction score
Avid roller?
Novice wanting to get into it?
Got a fave route you wanna share?
Bonked halfway through something epic?

Post up kids.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

So kicking it off.
My bike: http://roadcyclingtips.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/2009-cervelo-s1.jpg
Above moderate level bike, Aluminium, utter bargain for $3700(AUD) including Token C30a wheels.

I'm more a recreational rider as I tend to cramp a lot, mostly due to not being able to feel the zone.
Still doeswn't stop me from struggling some long rides when i can.

I'd ridden once since Summer last year an dthat was a month ago at the end of the hockey season and still had my gym and hockey lungs on. Since then, man-flu, niggly injuries and being laid up for a while destroyed me back to fatness rather than fitness.

Jumped on the bike Tuesday this week for a half hour sprint/TT 8km up the road and back. Pretty flat, headwind start, 2 inclines (the first light, second short & steep), and at the top of the second (halfway point) the old Bronchial Curse kicked in (it a long term thing I get from overexhersion brought about almost 2 decades ago from Glandular fever. It's pretty similar to Athsma). Started cruising home and the right calf gave a kick of cramp and went away and was able to get back into rhythm but inhaling like a demon at the end.

Repeat Thursday was 5 min faster, felt easier, not struggles ('cept for the calf pinging off again).

Today tried to get to Scarborough pub and back. Lighter paced myself... until the roads went up 8km in. Being Aus, we don't get Europes long climbs like Giro, Tour and Vuelta, ours are more like The Flanders, but closely packed. It's up-down-up-down.
I struggle to sit in a tempo when climbing. I'll notch down gears to somewhere comfy in the big ring and grind my way up because they're only shortish climbs. Inviting cramps that is.
16.2km midpoint, i got to 15.8, 100m up the last hill... and bonked. Rats. Necked a meusli bar and some Staminade and waited a bit before finishing the ride off.
Thankfully the ride back isn't as bad for 2 things, now it's a tailwind and the climbs are shallower in intensity.

Feeling surprisingly good. Will have to smash the 70km lake loop at the end of the month.

Just saw this now. I've been a pretty avid follower of the tour de france for many years just started getting into watching other events lately (Giro de Italia - My Canadian com-padre won this year!!). I am English blood so Team Sky are my boys. Glad to see a big win today by the Manx Missile! wonderful display of team work and individual talent to blast everyone away!

As for personal biking I own two decent road bikes and a beautiful X-trail bike.

GT Series 4: http://www.gtbicycles.com/can/2012/bikes/road/performance/2012-gtr-series-4-0
Retails usually around 1300 CAD. I work at a bike shop soooo I get these at wonderful discounts.

Jamis Ventura Race: 2012 JAMIS BICYCLES - VENTURA RACE
Retails approx 2000 CAD.

Jamis Durango Race: 2012 JAMIS BICYCLES - DURANGO RACE
Retails around the 3000 CAD price range.

I often "race" down local rides near me, I've competed in a few road races never really doing overly well. I do it for the exercise more than anything. I'm not a fan of the "crowds" (the pelaton basically ... we all know why!;) ) so i do prefer to ride with my fiancee and family members more casually. X-country is my passion atm I love taking my bike into rough terrain and riding the **** out of it coming back caked in mud and exhausted from all the rocky terrain. I've ridden across the united kingdom every year since I was 10 and can almost do it in 24 hours. I've been meaning to attempt the Cross Canada ride that happens every year but I'm afraid I'll never complete it!!

Keep the posts coming I'll update with ride pics and such if you are still around!