D.C. United Reborn

rossoldiniho

Reaction score
I've just left my job as Barcelona manager after deciding I have won everything i possibly could and despite only being 36 and only being in management for 6 years I have ran out of places to manage after managing in England, Spain, France, India, Italy and Brazil. But then I realised there was one place I haven't been yet. that place was America.

new-york-statue-of-liberty.jpg

But as you probably know the MLS is virtually a two horse league where players go for a final pay day, but with the money now in the MLS there was hope that the league could be someday up there with the English Premier League and the Spanish La Liga.

So I set about looking for a job in American football, oh sorry soccer, and naturally I first applied for the best teams L.A Galaxy with David Beckham in their squad, New York Red Bulls with Thierry Henry and the Colorado Rapids with, ermm, Caleb Folan. All of which laughed at my application so I gave up and waited for a job to become avalible.

Then, after 4 months of sitting around eating McDonalds I received a phone call from the chairman of D.C. United who had fallen from grace after wining the league in 2007 and couldn't keep up with the money other teams had.

Without a moments hesitation I accepted the offer and the next day I was unveiled as boss of D.C. United.

46-00068-1-Y.jpg

Also, please could you all comment with feedback else I will probably lose interest.

microphones.jpg

My assistant told me than I had a press conference scheduled in an hours time. But, instead I cancelled it and released the following statement:

"Hello,
As you are all aware recently D.C. United have been under performing and I have been hired to turn that around. However I am going to aim higher and try to play free-flowing attractive football, improve the squad, improve the staff and most importantly win the MLS by beating L.A. Galaxy and the New York Red Bulls to the top spot. Impossible, you may say, they have Beckham, Donnovan, Keane, Henry, Marquez. But I am confident with a few additions we will be more than capable of beating them despite not have big name players. After all we are up for everything they have glass legs that would shatter after a challenge from Javier Hernandez, let alone our defence."

sport_sports+sport+Materazzi_tatto_Richiardi.jpg

Today was the day I made my first signing for D.C. United, and what a signing it was, none other than former Italian captain Marco Materazzi.

The tough tackling center-back arrived in the U.S.A on a free transfer and to make the deal even better he inst a designated player and is earning just £3.9k p/w. The Italian has done it all including 41 caps for his country and boasts a World Cup winners medal, a Champions League winners medal, a Club World Championship medal and 5 Serie A winners medals amongst others.

Despite Marco being 37 I am more than confident he is good enough and have made him the captain of D.C. United. The signing has also helped the football world notice us, which cant be a bad thing.

Todays the day I proudly unveil all of D.C. United transfer dealings this window. I have brought in six new faces including former Italy captain Marco Materazzi and have released no fewer than 9 players.

I will start with my departures first. Every single player was released for no other reason than I could only register 30 players, if I could register more I would keep every single one of them and I wish them all luck in the future.

Canadian international Dejan Jakovic was released this transfer window. But the versatile player has since signed for Esbjerg fB. Defender Daniel Woolard soon followed in Jakovic's footsteps out the door and has since signed for fellow MLS team Houston Dynamo.

American international Clyde Simms, Goalkeeper Steve Cronin, Left Mid Austin da Luz, Versatile Stephen King, Devon McTavish, Zimbabwe international Joseph Ngwenya and young defender Ethan White were all released and have yet to find new clubs.

Dejan-Jakovic.jpg

Arriving at the RFK Stadium were a wealth of talent and experience that got the fans on the edge of there seats.
A day after the arrival of Materazzi arrived English right-back Stuart Parnaby, the former Birmingham City player boasts 4 England U21 caps.

Soon to follow was 29 year old Argentinean international Luciano Figueroa, who will only appear in cup games due to us only being allowed 4 International players registered for the league. Another former Birmingham City player also joined when 27 year old midfielder Darren Carter signed on a free transfer. My last two signings Zack Schilawski and Eric Avila were both signed in the waiver from New England and Toronto F.C. respectively.

article-2074244-0F2DCFBC00000578-92_468x320.jpg

"Pre-season" for us only had two matches in against lower oppositions so I used it as a chance to test my tactic for the season 4-5-1 with inside fowards, so despite the results not being the best it was expected when experimenting with an unusual tactic and a new bunch of players.

The first match was against a recently founded Division 3 American team, Antigua Barracuda F.C. which won 2-0 thanks to a brace from up and coming Andy Najar.

The second and last match was a disappointing 4-1 loss to Montreal Impact who are a league bellow us. But I wasn't that worried if I'm honest, after all it was only pre-season. Our goal was from Chris Pontius.

Montreal-Impact-logo.gif

I have completed March and April in the States and I've amazingly won all 8 of my matches, scoring a staggering 22 goals in all competitions.

On the opening day of the season we hosted rivals Columbos Crew and exceeded all expectations by playing them off the park and winning 3-1 thanks to a goal from Branko Boskovic and a brace from on loan Charlie Davies. We followed this with another quality performance, this time away from home, against New England. With goals from Chris Pontius and Brandon McDonald and another brace by Charlie Davies resulting in a 4-2 win. Then infront of thouasnds watching at home we beat Colorado Rapids 2-0 with Charlie Davies netting again and the other goal coming from Dwayne De Rosario.

This superb form was followed by an unforeseen victory of David Beckham's L.A Galaxy at the RFK Stadium. When the teams sheets were released it looked as if we stood no chance due to Donnovan, Keane, Beckham and Juninho all appearing in the visitors team. But we shown fantastic team spirit and carried on our form by beating them 4-2 with goals from Andy Najar, Marc Bush, Chris Pontius and not surprisingly Charlie Davies.

DC4-2LA.jpg

Just three days after that amazing result we managed to beat Philadelphia in the US Cup 3-1 with goals from Jack McInerney(O.G), Eric Avila and Brandon McDonald. After that it was back to league and we won again, but this time it wasn't so spectacular, with a goal from Brandon McDonald earning us a 1-0 win over Toronto F.C.

Another unforeseen victory at home against a big club with a 4-2 scoreline came next when we beat Theirry Henry's New York Red Bulls thanks to goalscorers Josh Wolff, Andy Najar, Chris Pontius and an own goal from Stephane Auvary. After this we beat Huston Dynamo 1-0 with the only goal coming from captain Marco Materazzi.

DC4-2NY.jpg

Also, could I please have some feedback on how its going and how I could improve?

Hey man, how about adding a screenshot of every match result and a League table image at the end of every month or so? Just a suggestion or two.

Hey man, how about adding a screenshot of every match result and a League table image at the end of every month or so? Just a suggestion or two.
Thanks for the advice mate, I'll take it on board. Is there a quicker way to screenshot apart from "PrtScSysRq" then paste is onto paint?

Yeah -
Go to the screen you want to screenshot on FM.
Hold Alt and press F9. This will take a screenshot of the current screen and save it in > My Documents/Sports Interactive/FM12/Screenshots , and then you just click add Image on the toolbar in the reply box , and then navigate to that folder and click your image.

Goodluck!

add attachments in the advance down bottom

Yeah -
Go to the screen you want to screenshot on FM.
Hold Alt and press F9. This will take a screenshot of the current screen and save it in > My Documents/Sports Interactive/FM12/Screenshots , and then you just click add Image on the toolbar in the reply box , and then navigate to that folder and click your image.

Goodluck!

Thanks

May was a disappointing month for all involved with only one win in five games and I think I speak for everyone when I say that we need to put this moth behind us and look forward to June.

D.C. United Vs F.C. Dallas|Home|MLS|Verdict: Disappointing

View attachment 217762

D.C. United Vs Seattle|Home|MLS|Verdict: Unlucky

View attachment 217763

D.C. United Vs Colorado Rapids|Home|MLS|Verdict: Good Comeback

View attachment 217766

D.C. United Vs Sporting Kansas City|Away|U.S. Cup|Verdict: Solid Performance

View attachment 217767

D.C. United Vs Portland Timbers|Away|MLS|Verdict: Unacceptable

View attachment 217768

But despite the below par performances we still hold first place in the MLS.

View attachment 217769

After looking at my squad I noticed that no less than 7 players were in the last year of their contracts so I have decider to renew every single one of them. Some might say its over the top but I am confident it is the right decision.

The first player I awarded a new contract to was recent arrival Eric Avilia who at the age of just 23 has long future ahead of him, so I gave him a three and a half year deal worth £1.4k per week. American international John Wolff for his average rating of 7.15 this season and the veteran striker put pen to paper on a one year extension to his current contract. Another striker soon signed a new deal with the club, this time it was 26 year old Santino Quaranta who signed a new four year deal which sees him earn £1.6k per week.

265px-Quaranta-ajax-rfk.jpg

Costa Rican defensive midfielder Kurt Morsink penned a new deal that will keep him at the club until December 2013 and he was closely followed by midfielder Brandon Barklage who penned a deal worth £975 per week up until 2014. Jed Zayner signed a new £950 per week contract.

Despite being 37 years old, captain Marco Materazzi signed a one year extension to his current deal, stating a desire to finish his career at D.C. United.

Ever since the arrival of Darren Carter, Montenegrin Branko Boskovic has been left unregistered due to the four foreign players in a squad rule. After he had spent around six months watching on from the stands, I felt a player of his quality should get the chance to showcase his talents week in, week out and not in the occasional cup match.

boskovic-298.jpg

So I placed Branko on the transfer list and almost immediately 7 clubs from around the world placed £200k bids and I accepted all of them. It was in his hands now. Some fans felt I made the wrong decision but with him approaching 31 I felt I made the right choice.

Boskovic agreed terms with English club Leicester City and I wish him all the best there.

After looking through my squad I noticed that bar a few players there was an alarming lack of youth with potential so after hours of looking for the best up and coming American youth players. I am sure that the arrival of these 7 new signings will secure the future of this club for years to come. With these arrivals we own most of the U.S.A. Under 20 team with the squad now looking like this:

View attachment 218410

The only new signing that cost was 21 year old Sheanon Williams who arrived from fellow MLS team Philadelphia and cost just £40k. The talented player has amazing versatility and 17 America U20 caps.

View attachment 218412

Soon to follow were a series of player from the lower American leagues. Two of witch came from Bradenton Academics, those being center back Tim Taylor and fellow defender Adam Smith. Another defender was soon to follow, this time he was from Springfield Deminze and appeared 9 times for them before signing for D.C. United. 17 year old striker Craig Gray and 19 year old Chris Shaw were also soon to arrive. The last player to arrive, but by no means the worst, was promising goalkeeper Jordan Brown who joined from Mississippi Brilla.

June was a massive improvement on May in terms of results and performances as we ended the month unbeaten, scoring 14 goals in the process.

D.C. United Vs L.A. Galaxy|Away|MLS|Verdict: Outstanding.

View attachment 218437

D.C. United Vs San Jose Earthquakes|Home|MLS|Verdict: Solid Performance.

View attachment 218438

D.C. United Vs Real Salt Lake|Away|MLS|Verdict: Unlucky not to win.

View attachment 218439

D.C. United Vs Houston Dynamo|Home|MLS|Verdict: Amazing.

View attachment 218440

D.C. United Vs F.C. Tampa Bay|Away|U.S. Cup|Verdict: Shouldn't of took E.T., but a good win.

View attachment 218441

Last edited:
We finished July in 2nd place in the MLS, only 2 points behind leaders Seattle but we have 4 games in hand.

View attachment 219114

D.C. United Vs Philadelphia|Home|MLS|Verdict: Amzing.

View attachment 219115

D.C. United Vs New York Red Bulls|Away|MLS|Verdict: Good Result.

View attachment 219116

D.C. United Vs Chivas El Paso|Away|U.S. Cup|Verdict: Deserved the Win.

View attachment 219117

D.C. United Vs F.C. Dallas|Away|MLS|Verdict: Assistant managed due to a squad selection problem.

View attachment 219118

D.C. United Vs New England|Home|MLS|Verdict: Solid Performance.

View attachment 219119

D.C. United Vs San Jose Earthquakes|Away|MLS|Verdict: Dissapointing.

View attachment 219120

I also had a few players compete in the MLS all stars vs Manchester City witch City won 1-0 in a close fought match.

Back