• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 1K

Mike.

Reaction score
Damien Comolli takes Liverpool position

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9155544.stm

Liverpool have appointed Damien Comolli as their director of football strategy.
The Frenchman spent three years at White Hart Lane, where he signed the likes of Gareth Bale and Alan Hutton.
But he was dismissed along with manager Juande Ramos in 2008 and took a role as St Etienne's sporting director.
It is a significant move by Liverpool's new owners but will have no bearing on manager Roy Hodgson's future.

More to follow.

Seems like an good appointment.Only time will tell though :)

New England Sports Ventures (NESV) and Liverpool FC are pleased to announce the appointment of Damien Comolli as Director of Football Strategy for Liverpool FC.

NESV Principal Owner John Henry said today: "Damien has a proven track-record of identifying exciting young footballing talent and we are delighted that he has agreed to join Liverpool. Working closely with Roy Hodgson and the coaching staff, I know he will make a valuable contribution to strengthening the Club and the squad as we move forward.

"Today's announcement is just the first step in creating a leadership group and structure designed to develop, enhance and implement our long-term philosophy of scouting, recruitment, player development and all of the other aspects necessary to build and sustain a club able to consistently compete at the highest level in European football.

"We intend to be bold and innovative. We will not rest until we have restored Liverpool Football Club to the greatness Liverpool fans expect."

Roy Hodgson added: "I am looking forward to working with Damien whom I have known for many years. We are engaged in an exciting project here and he will bring a lot to the table. We all want to see moves to strengthen the squad and support player development over the next few years. John Henry and I are totally united in delivering on that ambition."

Damien Comolli said:"I am delighted to be joining Liverpool and look forward to working with John and Roy. I think we all realise there is a big job ahead, but we all share the vision that John has for rebuilding the club and bringing back the success that the supporters deserve."

From the BBC

SELECTED COMOLLI SIGNINGS
Tom Huddlestone
Aaron Lennon
Jermaine Jenas
Benoit Assou-Ekotto
Dimitar Berbatov
Didier Zakora
Gareth Bale
Jonathan Woodgate
Luka Modric
Heurelho Gomes
Grzegorz Rasiak
Mido
Ricardo Rocha
Darren Bent
Giovani dos Santos
Roman Pavlyuchenko
Vedran Corluka

Question for liverpool fans, do you feel this appointment shows that there a questions about roy's transfer judgement, or it is a genuine boost to liverpool?

Im not a fan of Liverpool but I will not wish Liverpool getting regelated so this in fact is a genuine boost to Liverpool.
Just looking at what Comolli's transfers tells you that he is a genius.

he will be a good appointment to the board, if he works with Roy and Not against him, It will either be a wonderful working relationship or a dreadful one.

Question for liverpool fans, do you feel this appointment shows that there a questions about roy's transfer judgement, or it is a genuine boost to liverpool?

From what I've gathered about John Henry is that he follows the Moneyball/Soccernomics approach to things. He knows NESV can't compete financially with the teams he's wanting to surpass so is looking too build for the future. So a bit of both, I think whether it was Roy or someone else in charge we would of brought in a Director of Football.

I believe that it doent undermine Roys transfer judgement. Must clubs now use a director of football to assist in transfer judgement. It will allow Roy more time to focus on training and tactics which will be good. I still believe Roy will have some input over player recruitment but only time will tell.

Comolli also has a proven track record for signing good quality players so im cautiously optimistic about this appointment :)

Just to add, Comolli is a wierdish character, in the way he was hated at spurs and swiftly left with Ramos, Yet looking at his track record. he did a lot of good work for spurs in the signings department.

Well I'm not so sure but we'll see. Some managers like Harry Redknapp won't work with a D o F full stop. But in the new harsh reality of the financial world he could indeed bring in the talent that Liverpool need to rebuild.

His list of signings are not bad but I'm glad he got kicked out when Ramos went. It would not of worked with the appintmet of Redknapp. Liverpool fans could also see a gap between him and Hodgson divide the club and to me Hodgson will lose out.

Well I'm not so sure but we'll see. Some managers like Harry Redknapp won't work with a D o F full stop. But in the new harsh reality of the financial world he could indeed bring in the talent that Liverpool need to rebuild.

Wasn't Avram Grant director of football at Pompey when Redknapp was there?

Comolli made some great signings for Spurs during the Martin Jol era. Look how well the likes of Lennon, Thudd, Modric and Bale are doing now. I do admit he made a few poor ones but so does everyone who's in charge of bringing in players. I'm sure it wouldn't of happened without Hodgson's consent.

He's certainly got a good track record. Hopefully he can work well with the owners and Roy alike to bring in some genuine talent, we're gonna need it.

Back