Dealing With a Promotion

• Thread starter Thread starter Jedd95
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 862

Jedd95

Reaction score
I was just curious as to how you guys go about dealing with a promotion.

Do you keep faith in the main core of your squad and just add a few new fresh faces, or do you go about wholesale changes to bring the entire squad up to another level?

In terms of training, do you get them back for a maximum length pre-season and hammer them, or give them a long break after a hard season?

Let us hear your ideas.

Normally I'll try and keep the squad that gets me promoted, just a strange loyalty thing, I'm also loathe to make too many changes to a squad in one window generally.

If we've won the title early I'll normally have rested them anyway in the final few games so we'll start training early but if it's play-offs they'll get a break.

Be interested to hear how other people handle it!

Really depends, for example i got promoted with AFC Wimbledon from L2 to L1 and thought i had enough quality to just had 5 or so new faces, just really improving slightly - this turned out to be the case.
However if i go up again to the Championship i do not believe my squad is capable of competing at all so i would plan wholesale changes.

if you ever reach the premier league. a goal scorer is vital otherwise you will struggle to score against the much improved goalkeepers. in the lower league all u needed was a striker with pace as finishing didnt really matter as the keepers were pretty **** tbh.

If I'm promoted from the championship I tend to try and upgrade the middle of all positions ( centre back centre mid and striker )

when end I took middlesbrough to the premier league I signed james Tompkins from west ham and bentaleb from spurs and loaned in james wilson from Manchester united

then I try not to sign many more players and develop my own through the academy and only signing players when it's needed

Back