Defenders don't defend

Shantanuchury

Reaction score
[Sorry for the long post]
I'm in my second season with Barcelona, and I don't know if it's a bug, but my defenders, Alba and Alves, hardly bother with defending. They are very prone to make errors in one-on-one situations, and also attempt many wrong crosses. They are easily dispossessed and they are very slow on lapping up loose balls, which means they're a liability against teams like Real Madrid who use fast strikers like BBC. Also, players like Rakitic and Iniesta give away possession very easily, most of the times just standing still while a horde of defenders surrounds them. Their instructions haven't been set to Hold on to the ball, as for the FBs their duties are automatic, because giving them a defending duty means they seldom go forward during attacks. Also, one more thing that I have noticed, despite asking the team to play wide, I usually find Dani Alves playing in the centre of the field, as opposed to playing on the right, which leaves my right flank exposed to attacks. Is this a fault with the players or just due to the match engine?

It's probably a fault of the player or your instructions. More info would be nice. The only thing I might agree with, is fullbacks on the opposite side being too narrow, but that's fixable if you want to.

Play Wider is an in possession instruction, by the way.

You will find it is probably a number of factors..

1. It depends on the individual players traits i.e. Dani Alves 'Likes to cut inside', if that is the case no matter what instructions you give, it will be his instinct, to stop that you will need to set up training to learn to 'likes to stay out wide'

2. I agree with the Defenders not performing correctly sometimes but this again can be solved with tactics, for instance if you have a 'Limited Defender' like Per Mertsacker playing as a 'Ball Playing Defender' he will dwell on the ball despite his desire to just clear it, he will try to pick out a pass that isn't there because he doesn't have the ability or vision. Maybe change the players role to match their style, not your tactics.

3. Lastly I would say as for players like Iniesta, Xavi and co. giving away possession regularly, I am afraid to say that may just be your tactics, you need to look at the role you have them playing in, their individual instructions and team instructions, is there anything that conflicts?

Having said all of that there are bound to still be the odd game where the likes of Real Madrid are going to run you off the pitch because they have some of the best talent in the world. The ME isn't perfect but it is pretty ****** close really, If I ever have a save or a team that aren't performing well, no matter whether its Barca or Barnet, I wouldn't ever blame the ME because there is always a way to change the tactics and improve your team.

What more info do you want me to provide? Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated

Let me try and break this up then.

[Sorry for the long post]
I'm in my second season with Barcelona, and I don't know if it's a bug, but my defenders, Alba and Alves, hardly bother with defending. They are very prone to make errors in one-on-one situations
What errors? That could mean anything.

How good are they, defensively (attributes), vs the attacker? The attacker is probably just dribbling past. You've not explained what happens though.

, and also attempt many wrong crosses.
What is a wrong cross?

They are easily dispossessed and
Do they have passing options? Are they trying to dribble past defenders who are better at defending and tackling (attributes again) than they are dribbling?

they are very slow on lapping up loose balls, which means they're a liability against teams like Real Madrid who use fast strikers like BBC.
Could be anything. They could be nervous or complacent or simply lack anticipation or pace. It could be instructions too. Again, examples needed.

Also, players like Rakitic and Iniesta give away possession very easily, most of the times just standing still while a horde of defenders surrounds them. Their instructions haven't been set to Hold on to the ball,
Same here. Do they have passing options? What's your instructions?

as for the FBs their duties are automatic, because giving them a defending duty means they seldom go forward during attacks.
Well, of course? Defend duty means that they concentrate on staying back. Automatic can be any of the 3, depending on your team mentality.

Also, one more thing that I have noticed, despite asking the team to play wide, I usually find Dani Alves playing in the centre of the field, as opposed to playing on the right, which leaves my right flank exposed to attacks. Is this a fault with the players or just due to the match engine?
As I said, Play Wider is an instruction that only is in effect in possession. Defending-wise, it'll depend on your mentality and the other team's width.

-------

Apart from that, just post your entire tactical setup. Formation, roles, duties, mentality, fluidity/philosophy (or whatever it's called), TIs and PIs.

Let me try and break this up then.

What errors? That could mean anything.

How good are they, defensively (attributes), vs the attacker? The attacker is probably just dribbling past. You've not explained what happens though.

What is a wrong cross?

Here errors would mean simply failing to stop the attacker. Both of them make horrible tackles, even though their tackling is 14 each. Wrong crossing would mean Daniel Alves making crosses with 3 players in front of him, where then all would simply het one of the players and fall into the path of an opposite attacker. I've had 6 goals conceded in this manner in my first season.

For the part about the players holding up the ball too much, they do have passing options but they still cling to the ball, until a player comes and disposes them. About the loose balls, Alba has pace and acceleration both 18, while Dani Alves has them at 16 and 14.
My formation is a Narrow 4-3-3, with my full backs set on automatic, one midfielder (Rakitic) set to play further up, with Messi as a trequartista and Suarez as a poacher with Neymar as a DLF

You answered half my answers and you answered them with half answers. I can't help you until you fully answer me, but hopefully someone else wants to take a stab in the dark.

Here errors would mean simply failing to stop the attacker. Both of them make horrible tackles, even though their tackling is 14 each. Wrong crossing would mean Daniel Alves making crosses with 3 players in front of him, where then all would simply het one of the players and fall into the path of an opposite attacker. I've had 6 goals conceded in this manner in my first season.

For the part about the players holding up the ball too much, they do have passing options but they still cling to the ball, until a player comes and disposes them. About the loose balls, Alba has pace and acceleration both 18, while Dani Alves has them at 16 and 14.
My formation is a Narrow 4-3-3, with my full backs set on automatic, one midfielder (Rakitic) set to play further up, with Messi as a trequartista and Suarez as a poacher with Neymar as a DLF

No offence dude, but your tactics are to blame.

For one you have stated you are playing a 'Narrow 4-3-3' and yet you are complaining your wing backs are not playing wide. Also you are playing them automatic, this means they automatically follow the team instructions which are narrow.

Playing Suarez as a Poacher seems like a complete waste of talent considering he loves to come short to collect the ball.

Your midfielders are probably dwelling on the ball because you are not instructing them to play 'short' and 'quick' passing.

As WJ has said, if you want constructive advice you need to ask a constructive question.. with details.

What are your team instructions? What are your defenders instructions? what are your CM's instructions? Why are you playing Narrow and then asking why your team play Narrow?

By narrow 4-3-3 I meant the name of the formation before I tinkered with it. My player instructions for my full backs were to stay wider. As for the pictures with the team and player instructions, that'll take time because a. I have absolutely no idea how to take screen grabs and b. I'm not at home right now so I shall upload those pics tomorrow after I find out how to :P

You will find it is probably a number of factors..

1. It depends on the individual players traits i.e. Dani Alves 'Likes to cut inside', if that is the case no matter what instructions you give, it will be his instinct, to stop that you will need to set up training to learn to 'likes to stay out wide'

2. I agree with the Defenders not performing correctly sometimes but this again can be solved with tactics, for instance if you have a 'Limited Defender' like Per Mertsacker playing as a 'Ball Playing Defender' he will dwell on the ball despite his desire to just clear it, he will try to pick out a pass that isn't there because he doesn't have the ability or vision. Maybe change the players role to match their style, not your tactics.

3. Lastly I would say as for players like Iniesta, Xavi and co. giving away possession regularly, I am afraid to say that may just be your tactics, you need to look at the role you have them playing in, their individual instructions and team instructions, is there anything that conflicts?

Having said all of that there are bound to still be the odd game where the likes of Real Madrid are going to run you off the pitch because they have some of the best talent in the world. The ME isn't perfect but it is pretty ****** close really, If I ever have a save or a team that aren't performing well, no matter whether its Barca or Barnet, I wouldn't ever blame the ME because there is always a way to change the tactics and improve your team.
I have set the player roles as per the skills of the players, except in case of my centre backs. Is that causing a problem? The fact that I'm setting up roles as per player skill rather than the tactics?

I have set the player roles as per the skills of the players, except in case of my centre backs. Is that causing a problem? The fact that I'm setting up roles as per player skill rather than the tactics?
By all means, set your tactics up while keeping in mind your players' best roles/strengths, but - never lose sight of the overall tactic. If that means that you need to compromise a little, so be it.

So I have changed my tactic to a wider variant. Shall play a couple of matches with it and see if it works.

Back