rocheyb

Reaction score
If you're playing FM as one of the really massive teams - Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester City, etc - then you are probably able to win everything going by playing constant attacking football - and some of the tactical set-ups I see in this thread and on YouTube can only exist in a computer game. But for those of us who prefer more of a challenge, there are times when we need to shut things down to protect a one or two goal lead, or even to secure a point when you're under pressure in the last few minutes.

I joined Aston Villa in season 2026/27 in the Championship. Now midway through 2028/29, we are 5th in the Premier League and will soon be up against Trabzonspor in the Europa League 1st knock-out round - I'm hoping to win that competition this season because we won't be in it again once I have the Villa in the Champions League. We're currently on a run of five consecutive clean sheets (including 2 x 0-0), which is partly due to the fact that I will switch to defensive tactics late on to protect a winning position (though, I also have the current England No.1 between the sticks).

The screenshot above shows my starting formation against the reigning Premier League Champions, Arsenal. The roles are:

GK
D(R) - Support
BPD - Defend
LD - Stopper
D(L) - Attack
ANC - Defend
DLP - Support
AP - Support
W(R) - Attack
W(L) - Support
CF - Support

We scored in the 53rd minute and during the last 6 minutes or so, I switched the full-backs and the DLP to defensive roles, W(R) to Support and opted for DEFENSIVE - STRUCTURED at the Team Level, with instructions to Stick to Positions and Be More Disciplined. My substitute right winger - a top player coming back from injury - knicked an injury time goal for 2-0. I've also won 1-0 against Liverpool and Manchester City this season and secured several 1-0 and 2-1 victories against all manner of opponents. My team is competitive and the players in that screenshot only require one substitution to line up as a 4-4-2 or an effective 4-4-1-1, because I sign and retrain players to play specific and multiple roles within my set-up.

We're not brilliant yet, but we are a good team in the way you might say of the real world Southampton or Everton. I enjoy starting in the Championship with a recently relegated club; the players always want to leave so you can build up a big transfer kitty and rebuild the squad in your image. I target promotion in season 1, survival in season 2 and a Top Half Finish in season 3 - then I expect to be competing in Europe and achieving year-on-year improvement. If you can manage that, the trophies will follow.

So, defensive tactics are as much a part of my set-up as the normal balanced approach or the occasional switch to high tempo attacking play. Just thought I'd share these thoughts here in the Tactics section, to help those FMers who are still struggling to get consistent results.

In my Leicester save, I'll switch to Defensive at times, and it's not uncommon to score a goal! It's probably due to the players playing a little more conservatively, and being a little more careful with their passing, hence ball retention improves and the better options are taken, like putting a through ball to Vardy on the edge of the box rather than Okazami in the middle surrounded by three defenders.

In my Leicester save, I'll switch to Defensive at times, and it's not uncommon to score a goal! It's probably due to the players playing a little more conservatively, and being a little more careful with their passing, hence ball retention improves and the better options are taken, like putting a through ball to Vardy on the edge of the box rather than Okazami in the middle surrounded by three defenders.

...Yep - and by playing defensively, you invite the opposition on to you and leave fewer defenders between your forward players and their goal.

Last edited: