Defensive issues through the center

ThomasGM

Reaction score
So I have been playing with Scunthorpe United in the English League 2 for about half a season now and I'm sitting in an uninspiring 6th place. Both within reach of direct promotion and falling from the playoff race entirely.

Offensively my team has played quite well. Creating around 10-20 chances, 55% possession and 2-3 CCC's every game. On the flip side my team gives up at least as many chances on the defensive side. Usually through generally the same play.

The problem

View attachment 462994 View attachment 462993 View attachment 462992

I lose a header from a goal kick or there is a counterattack and my central defense is undone in 2-3 passes giving a big CCC to the opponent. I've given away up to 7 CCC's in single games because of that. It doesn't really matter if I face a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 variant.

View attachment 462987

Generally there is fairly little threat coming from the flanks against.

My strategy

View attachment 462983

My Central Defenders

View attachment 462990View attachment 462989

Both my DC's are quite slow which I am certain is part of the issue but there must be an effective way to counter this. They both have tackling on hard but that's only a recent implementation.

I have tried a lot of tinkering with different defensive lines. The slow defenders and fairly small central midfielders are things I can't really change due to the financial constraints of a League 2 team. I don't have any players that can properly play DM either but if that is a strong fix, I would naturally consider getting one.

I am open to any advice and thanks ahead.

Last edited:
Try changing both defenders from cover and stopper to normal ones, they dont do so well against multiple strikers, otherwise im not sure

I would only ever use a Cover-Stopper partnership if the Covering defender is very fast, and the Stopper has very good anticipation.

If they don't have the required stats, it seems to work like you only have one CB, with the other pressing into midfield.

The stills you posted are a perfect example of what can go wrong with Cover-Stopper partnership. Leaving the Covering defender isolated and dealing with a faster forward.

Try playing them both as Limited Defenders on Defend duty, and maybe switching your CWB's to FB's on Support. Should narrow things up and provide a bit more stability. A DM isn't always a necessity, esepecially in lower leagues. Your BWM should provide ample support to a deeper line.

Try one ball playing defender (stopper) and one Limited defender (cover). I found sitting so deep caused me a lot of problems and especially because you don't have a DM there will be a massive gap for there Advanced midfielders and deep lying strikers to exploit. Either push up slightly (and use offside trap) or get a good DM.

edit : Sorry just seen your defenders stats they would suck for a cover role try BPD Stopper with just a normal defender on defend dutie. Play offside trap if you play higher up the pitch.

Completely ignore the first sentence of my post.... I posted without even looking at the pictures :D

Last edited:
Ah so stupid of me on that strategy picture. I do normally play with both as limited defenders on defend and the cover/stopper against was a single striker in a 4-5-1 where it worked okay.

I've edited the picture. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the responses anyway. I will try pushing up a bit higher and playing offside trap for a few games.