maxy67

Reaction score
Hi was wondering what people thought:

If your playing a high defensive line, is it better to have a DM or a BWM- Since the defensive mid sits deeper, and the BWM higher up the park, Where would you position your midfield- higher up the field or deeper?

Thanks

Why not play both? i have success in playing it.

-BWMs --- APmaker s
-----DM d----

But it actually depends on how is ur team style ( and also the role of the position itself..

I also on a debate there. I don't know which role is best used for a 442 formation next to a more attacking midfielder:
ball winning mid, defensive mid, or maybe anchor man?

i normally play a 4-2-3-1 with 2 variations

one with one of the 2 cm's dropped to a defensive midfielder position, for hard away games or when playing good attacking teams, to give my defense a bit of support. maybe something wehn im playing a weakened team with some youth products in defense.

and one with a traditional 2 CM's

ive found that there isnt a huge amount of difference, as you would expect my defense is a little more solid with the DM, but my attacking and pressing is more effective with the 2 CM's

try it and see which works best really, although im almost certain you wont notice a huge amount of difference.

If your playing a high defensive line, is it better to have a DM or a BWM- Since the defensive mid sits deeper, and the BWM higher up the park, Where would you position your midfield- higher up the field or deeper?

Thanks

Quite confuse here..

Are you talking about player in the middle of the park or in between defenders and midfielders.?
What formation? Style of play? It all counts actually...

Thanks

if playing a high defensive line/attacking, I'd go with bwm...I think it should work better then with DM

i go with Ball winners and use it on players like Song, and other DM players that can play in the cm role. its more effective.
how ever if im using a 4-5-1 DM formation, then there is a DM , well actually an anchor man role is more better at that position :p

thus dm position is only for certain ones, like mentioned before the 4-5-1 or 4-1-2-1-2 diamond

Thanks

Few things to consider:

1) If you're playing with attacking FB's/WB's, an anchor man is pretty much vital in order to achieve some balance.
2) If your FB's have more reserved roles, BWM(s) is a good option
3) Perhaps most importantly (due to the match engine), which team you're playing with? If you have a world class squad and fast CB's (= as in expected to win most matches), it doesn't matter too much how which one you choose.

Few things to consider:

1) If you're playing with attacking FB's/WB's, an anchor man is pretty much vital in order to achieve some balance.
2) If your FB's have more reserved roles, BWM(s) is a good option
3) Perhaps most importantly (due to the match engine), which team you're playing with? If you have a world class squad and fast CB's (= as in expected to win most matches), it doesn't matter too much how which one you choose.

I was trying to make a tactic with three at the back, two full backs set to defend and a centre back set to cover. I was playing as sunderland, a good team to test tactics with I think (don't usually play with really big teams) Teams just kept on knocking it long behind the defence and i wanted to know find out how to stop them from doing it. Thanks for all your replys by the way!

I was trying to make a tactic with three at the back, two full backs set to defend and a centre back set to cover. I was playing as sunderland, a good team to test tactics with I think (don't usually play with really big teams) Teams just kept on knocking it long behind the defence and i wanted to know find out how to stop them from doing it. Thanks for all your replys by the way!

So you play three at the back, but with FB's? That's not going to work with any setup, I'm afraid. There's always going to be space between your CB and FB's, which is going to be exploited by opposing teams. I suggest trying something different, eg. flat three (as in three cb's), two markers and a libero/sweeper, or a back four with an anchorman (attacking FB's/WB's).

So you play three at the back, but with FB's? That's not going to work with any setup, I'm afraid. There's always going to be space between your CB and FB's, which is going to be exploited by opposing teams. I suggest trying something different, eg. flat three (as in three cb's), two markers and a libero/sweeper, or a back four with an anchorman (attacking FB's/WB's).

Actually it worked really well with my WM formation... But i have thought about using a flat back three otherwise

Wide 3 defenders.? That's tricky to set up.. Have u try 2 players in dm position.? Anchor Man and DM support maybe?

Anchor man sit between def and midf. DM def about the same as anchor man, with support duty he will press up till halfway line. BWM def at sit at center and with support duty he will press up more forward..

Actually it worked really well with my WM formation... But i have thought about using a flat back three otherwise

That's very interesting. Would've expected it to be suicidal, since modern formations are developed to negate the use of that kind of space (thus you don't see three at the back with FB's anymore), but FM has a knack of surprising me. Let me know how it works!

That's very interesting. Would've expected it to be suicidal, since modern formations are developed to negate the use of that kind of space (thus you don't see three at the back with FB's anymore), but FM has a knack of surprising me. Let me know how it works!

I reckon the flat back three will prob work better with the tactic I'm making atm :) Thanks mate.