Defensive Options

• Thread starter Thread starter tomicman44
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 750

tomicman44

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am in my fifth season with Brighton having come 5th in the EPL last season winning the league cup and coming runner-up in the Euro Cup. At the start of this season I made a error in judgement by using all my transfer budget on an outstanding regen striker who got top scorer in the EPL last season and a good young right back. The problem is I have a lack of strength at CB and this is where I probably should have strengthened in the summer. I am now left in the situation where I have one 4.5 star CB that is world class and 3 young CBs at 2.5 stars with the potential to be 4+. I have been conceding a fair few goals. I play three variations of a flat 4-4-2. I have a few questions regarding how I should I make the best out of a bad situation:

1) Should I play in my same style with the two CBs set to CD-D?
2) Should I play my better defender in the covering role to give some protection?
3) Should I play five at the back?
4) I have several great DMs. Could I play 1 CB and 2 DMs?

Any advice would be appreciated ps I can't do screenshots because I am at work.

maybe loan a CB..or re-train one of youre DM in CB role. I wouldnt change your formation if its working well for you.

WORK!!! You slave...sorry i was layed off recently

You need to make them play, IMO, or else you will not get those 4+ stars. Its a risk i know.

Ifo not, loan someone

I think retraining my right back is a good idea as he does have good stats for the CB role. I was wondering however could this formation work? Has anyone tried anything similar?
--------------------------------------
-------- FB-() ------- WM-A ----------
------------- DLP-D ---------- AF-A --
GK-D -- CB-C -------- AP-S -----------
------------- DLP-D ---------- DLF-S -
---------------------------------------
() = Automatic

This would be a control formation.

Last edited:
You need to make them play, IMO, or else you will not get those 4+ stars. Its a risk i know.

Ifo not, loan someone

They will be getting quite a lot of games as I am playing my youngsters in the League cup, FA cup and Euro Cup Group Stage games. I can't find anyone of any quality that is available for loan.

I think retraining my right back is a good idea as he does have good stats for the CB role. I was wondering however could this formation work? Has anyone tried anything similar?
() = Automatic

The formation itself could work, but you'd have to make one of the DLP's more defensive (Read read the description of a DLP - his main role is attacking, so he wouldn't provide enough cover for the centreback. Also, you'd need the fullbacks to be defensive :)

() = Automatic

I'd drop a forward and move him to CB.
If you use two fullbacks you'd be so open down the channels to easy goals, any decent pacey forward running off an AMC or MC would tear you apart.

Back