cristian000

Reaction score
I need help with my defense. I play with Stoke and I have a lot of defensive problems. I believe it's because of the players instructions. I've set to each of my players their creativity, closing down, etc you know the whole thing. I don't know where the problem is. I've changed some players in my team, but they have a season, so they should do their job, but at the beginning I’ve had some good results and after a few months i began to lose even with smaller teams.
I've said I have defensive problems because the players don't tackle, they just run near the opponents without doing nothing, not even trying. I just don't know what to do. If there is a way to make my defense very strong or better saying impenetrable?!
I would appreciate if someone can help me. Thank you

Do not over complicate with player instructions!!! I play a dm in front of the defence and assisted by 2 central midfielders and i concede less then 22 goals per season... They defend as a unit and keep chances to a minimal... ;)

thx a lot. I will use you’re advise. My whole team doesn't play to well, but I know I must set their creativity, crossing, passing etc (you know the rest) because someone told me it's not ok to leave the players without setting them because they will not play accordingly to your tactic.
I always boost their moral at each match but it's useless, they play good for 10min after that....... only the keeper plays :))
Ok, thank you for the effort and I hope it will improve my play

if you are using attacking or overload strategy, then use man marking and 2 limited defenders on defend duty...if you are using a deeper defensive line (control, balanced, counter, defensive strategy), then use zonal marking and 2 defenders with right one on cover and left one on stopper duty...if you want or need more defending then that, add a defensive midfielder/anchor man/deep lying playmaker with defend duty...

I didn't play with a defensive midfielder... Sometimes you do not really need a defensive midfielder. Look at the opponent formation carefully and analyse their player whether is it worth playing a anchor man in the middle. I use deep-lying playmaker in the CM with defensive role not the DCM. It has been working for me.