FrankFizzle

Reaction score
Currently Hereford in the VCN.

60% of goals are from corners.

40% defence gets run ragged by strikers.

Any tips?

Not really enough information to help with your defenders being run ragged, though i think i am safe to say you are not paying enough attention to how the opposition is playing.

The corners should be an easy fix, how do you go about defending them now?

I set up like this: fullbacks on the posts, cb's marking tall players, 2 best midfielders, defensivley, man marking, 3 players zonal & a speedy technical type sitting on the edge of the area. All men back. Been solid as for me so far.

Also make sure to work on it in match training when needed. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your response. Yes, a little sparse I have to admit, too tired & annoyed to say anymore last night It looks like. So, I'm Hereford in the VCN & to be honest with the wage budget compared to other teams I really should be winning the league at a canter. I have a L2 standard attacking left winger & a L2 standard center midfielder that I try to base my formation around. The rest of the squad are decent Conference / Conference North players that would probably get in any other team in the league. Anyhow, as we know Football Isn't played on paper........

Elaborating on the main problems. Well, I didn't think I had too many up the 30th game mark. Top of the league by 6 points with an "easy" run In & for some reason It fell apart. Eventually ended up 5pts off top & I then lost the 1st game of the playoffs 3-6 at home to Hednesford. Fitness was fine, morale was unusually low & may've been the catalyst for a horrible run.

Even when I was winning I was conceding too many goals from set pieces. Also, towards the end of the season, It seems I was getting sliced open far too easy even against the lower teams of the division. Despite going 1-0 up early on in a couple of games I would normally find myself 3-1 down at HT.

Screenshots of my relevant information are below:
(I have included John Rainey & Neal Monaghan as these are my 2 potential matchwinners)

Formation 1: 4-3-3 Wide

View attachment 330189

View attachment 330188

Formation 2: 4-3-3 Narrow

View attachment 330187

View attachment 330186

Defending Set Pieces:

View attachment 330185

Hereford 3 v 6 Hednesford

View attachment 330184

View attachment 330183

John Rainey & Neal Monaghan:

View attachment 330182

View attachment 330181

-----

Thanks in advance for anyone that has read this & has the time to contribute! Any tips / constructive criticism / actually any criticism / is welcome.

Well, sorry to say i dont think i am going to be a lot of help :(

Dont see a lot wrong with your tactics at a qiuck glance. Your narrow formation may need a cm set to defend, just to help cover the back 4 so maybe keep an eye on that.

To be honest was expecting closing down too much to be the reason you were getting carved open but that doesnt seem to be the case.

Bad morale can be a killer. Whenever morale gets low for me i tend to go defensive & try to grind out some results until it improves. Talking to your players & offering new contracts to those who deserve it can also give them a boost but i dont think i am telling you anything you dont already know.

As far as set pieces are concerned i would have a couple more players man marking but that is my preference & i cant say for sure that it would help. You already get everyone back so.....?

Just keep experimenting i guess :(