Deportivo de La Coruna - Journey Back To The Top

• Thread starter Thread starter LMS
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 4K

LMS

Reaction score
View attachment 219717
During the 2010/2011 Season, Deportivo de La Coruna where relegated. Over the past 10 years, they have slowly been declining as a club, Past winners of La Liga in
the 1999-2000 season and finishing runners up on 5 occasions! Also in 1995 & 2002 they won the Spanish Cup and not to forget they have participated in the Champions league 5 times in their history with their best run resulted in them reaching the Semi-Finals in the year of 2004.

They kind of remind me of declining Leeds United. But the difference in this story is that hopefully we can bounce straight back into the top flight, and in the future have success like in previous years or maybe even more!

Deportivo also have financial problems which did contribute to their relegation last season. But with the likes of Guardado and Valeron still at the club, im hoping to be back in La Liga in no time.

I will be updating every 2 months (Game time of course) and letting you guys see how we get on!!!!

I have just recently returned Deportivo back into La LIGA.

I finished 1st with 89 points.

The financial situation is not good for any status of manager as I had to beg to get additional coaches and physios in.

Luckily although Deportivo was in a poor financial situation, this can be easily addressed should you be prepared to take the risks.

I released Juan Carlos Valerón as soon as I took over as i didnt feel he could offer me value for money over the course of the season especially being on £1m a year wages!

I also sacked all the coaches bar one and all the physios and hired all new staff and a new assistant manager. Be prepared to be rejected by hundreds of free agents when trying to find staff!!

In the January transfer window I also released Xisco from his loan as this was costing the club £1.3m a year in wages and he wasnt playing well and scoring enough goals!

This got my wage budget down to a reasonable level, I also released/sold on the cheap several older players on lage wages and nearly all the Deportivo B and u19 team. Although I kept the promising youngsters.

Unfortunately 3 players contracts was about to expire most importantly Andrés Guardado. Hence the reason I restructured the wage budget in order to tie down my current younger playing squad to new contracts.

German Lux signed a new deal with another club but still continued to play well when called upon. I rotated Lux and Aranzubia to keep them both fresh and focused.

However Laure who is by far one of the most consistant high performers got sold in the January transfer window for £2.8m with his worth being £1.8m by the board of Directors. They then realeased £600k into my transfer fund to which I adjusted the budgets into the wage fund, again helping me sign up my current young playing staff.

I have now been given £5.5m transfer budget and £6.5m wage budget for the new season. With my current wage bill at £5.67m

i was tempted to take this challenged but bricked it after seeing the finances, will be following this!

Moved further into the game and approached the transfer window very optimistic!

However the first and only signing so far has been a 19 y/o from Valencia will update with his name once I remember!

Got rejected by Kyle Bartley he moved to Aston Villa. I am having problems signing players of La LIGA quality with the budgets I have been given!

I currently require GK, LB, CB, RB, RM/AMR, MC and ST. This sounds a hefty list to restructure a squad capable of retaining La LIGA status however I believe that after a successful season maintaining in La Liga the board will hopefully release more monies.

I was rather unfortunate in the potential job market also, as Josep Guardiola contract was due to expire and Guus Hiddink, Carlo Ancelotti and myself was touted as replacements, however Pep soon signed a new contract upon the close of season! This was always going to happen but I was 10% hoping i would get the job!!

Back