Desperation

• Thread starter Thread starter MK1978OAFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 717

MK1978OAFC

Reaction score
At 2.32am this morning, after spending 12 hours guiding Stalybridge Celtic to 19th in the BS North, I was sacked. I have no idea why we were doing so poorly. I spent hours and hours getting what I thought was a squad more than capable of going up. Sure enough, as soon as I left, the team started climbing the table. Clearly it is down to tactics. I played a 4-3-1-2 with narrow width and a playmaker. I left all the other player settings as they were and issued no instructions. Each game would follow the same pattern. I would almost always outshoot my opponents, (sometimes ridiculous stats like 25 to 10), but I would always lose. Can anyone see where I am going wrong? I could never restrict the opposition to less than 10 shots and my strikers just were not scoring. I set my passing to direct, the tempo to quick but left style of play as it was.

Help. Please.

I never tried that formation myself but i imagine the strikers sometimes drop to the sides and cross? And what duties do you have your strikers set to?

Also there is more to tactics than formation, as a matter of fact i basically allways use the same formation and just change the team or player instructions/duties to counter the opposition tactics/style.

I noticed myself that my team struggles to make chances count while the opposition scores like in a training match; eventually i figured out that was due to player marking.

My advice is to check the opposition instructions, watch the play from different camera angles (pause and watch replay) to pin point the threats and dangerous unmarked players and make sure you man mark them.

Once your defence is sort out you will notice that even apparently dangerous attacks lead to nothing and the flow of the game change.

Thanks for your response apalaxe. Do you change your players ' roles? I always stick with what it gives me, so DLF and ALF up front. The players stats suggest that they are fit for purpose but they never score! Will check on the marking and opposition instructions. Until now I have been letting by AM do the match preparation training.

At the moment i am concentrating in tactics only myself, i have automatic match training (i have not yet get into figure the training out) and automatic opposition instructions to make the job of pin pointing the skilled players easier.

Just read the description of roles and duties in Player instructions menu and you will notice that some duties like DLF purpose is to support and create chances for other players and that may not suit the style of play you want.

You mention you play narrow 4-3-1-2 and narrow, that seems to me pretty counter attack tactic, i wonder what happens with a fast poacher and 1 TM in front? Also if they drop to the flanks to cross you may want the AM and maybe 1 CM to be in the box to get the ball, but i am more of a wing play style myself so... :)

have you checked to see what tactic/formation they are playing after you were sacked? the player roles are incredibly important. For example you wouldn't play Owen as a Target man as he is too small and better suited to a poacher role whereas Andy Carroll is the perfect target man, big, strong and good in the air.

Your coach reports should show you what role the player is best suited to.

Update. So I went back to the last time I saved it, set my two CDs to tight marking and switched my FBs to attacking. Four games, four wins, F: 16 A: 1. Incredible.

Back