Did my team get promoted too fast?

• Thread starter Thread starter efajri
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 4K

efajri

Reaction score
Is it just me having this problem? FYI - This is my third time playing LLM/Journeyman. I quit the first two LLM/Journeyman games after being relegated from League 2.

After few months unemployed, I got to manage Easleigh FC in BSS. I added couple players, hired a new assman and a new scout; we won promotion. I added few more players to strengthen the team, and we won BSP with massive 126 points; we also scored over 100 goals. With this BSP result, I decided to retain most of my players and bought only couple great players. It's in January now, and my team is in the bottom of the league facing relegation. The team morale is extremely low; we can't score; we can't win; we can't find good players (they refuse to join)...I am very frustrated (again), but I don't want to quit this time.

What's up with League 2? Why is it so hard? What did I do wrong? Did I have to release all my BSP team and replace all of them with new (better) ones? That doesn't make any sense; this ain't Man City. My players and my staff did a phenomenal job in BSP; so I don't think we need to a massive reform. What do you think? How do you take care a newly promoted team?

I still haven't reached the League 2, I'm still on my way to BSP, but is it possible that you set the squad season bonuses on low? Maybe that is the reason for the low morale, the players' unwillingness to play and the reason why people don't wanna join you...

I still haven't reached the League 2, I'm still on my way to BSP, but is it possible that you set the squad season bonuses on low? Maybe that is the reason for the low morale, the players' unwillingness to play and the reason why people don't wanna join you...

I set my squad bonuses on high. In the beginning of the season, the team morale was pretty high. In fact, we won our first two games. So I am not sure what's going on. A friend of mine told me to do a massive overhaul, but that doesn't make any sense since we have a limited budget.

you do seem to have to overhaul a lot in the lower league, id suggest trying to pick up a couple of frees this year, try jamil adam! and then at the end of the season keep hold of your best few players and overhaul.

only my opinion though, sure theres other ways to go :)

i've been promoted from bss and now in l1 with boreham wood. every season i've basically changed my whole team. i only have a few players from previous seasons. lots of top class loans as well help. i currently have 2 Man U youngsters who are dominating in L1!! :D currently top after 9 games but that'll soon change as i don't have much squad depth.

do not give long term contracts lower down the leagues, I would only give 2 year contracts as you can rise up the leagues quickly

I got 4 consecutive promotions, currently January 2016 and sitting 5th in npower championship.

I basically used the same squad season after season, about 5-6 players in and out per season only.

How is your training and tactics?

I went straight promotion with eastleigh from BSS to Premier. I'm currently sitting 6th place in my 2nd season. I did this by varying my tactics, doing well with team talks, and not being to attached to my roster. I was willing to run it into debt when need be. Inject talent into your squad with loan players, but if a player is not performing don't be afraid to bring someone else in.

I find the Championship is the hardest league by far. If your stadium isn't decent sized, it's very difficult to compete financially. I had Chelmsford, and a 3000 seater. Couldn't fund a new stadium, and couldn't make enough money to offer players more than $500p.w
It was painful. I gave up after three years of lower-mid table obscurity.

Ok, I guess I have to change my whole team each season until I get to Premiership. I have an Ancelotti philosophy - no big change, and it apparently does not work in lower league; besides that, I always get too attached to my top players who probably are worthless when playing in higher league. Anyway, I managed to get my team 3 point clear of the relegation zone. I just have to make sure we stay in the league now.

Last edited:
I'm in a situation like you but not as high up. I started my journey as manager Stockport in the Blue Square Premier where I got appointed in November 2011 following the sacking of Didi Hamann due to the sides poor start, 21st in the league. Relegation from the Football League ment I was hoping to keep them up and get them into the Football League very soon. Unfortunately I did no better and took them down to the Blue Square North despite finally getting a run of good results which included 3 wins in 6 games at the end of the season, but not good enough to survive.

Impressively I won the Blue Square North following a clear-out, which was mainly to do with helping my finance than bouncing back to the Blue Square Premier. Instead my finance continued decreasing some months however a good run to the Semi-Final of the FA Trophy saw me grab some of that money back, along with a small 1st place prize money.

Back into the Blue Square Premier, an excellent start made me think we could challenge the play-offs. Instead we slumped and slumped and slumped before finally get a win. We get the odd win now and I just wonder if my side got back into the Blue Square Premier too early to be able to hold on to our status. Other sides which got promoted include Kettering, Boston and Boreham Wood, two are in the relegation zone and Kettering are 15th, whilst I am 14th.

Back