Diego Simeone's Counter Attacking 4-4-2.

Reaction score
View attachment 606777

Diego Simeone - Atletico Madrid
(Tactic Released)

Original Thread > http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-download-fm-14-tactics/163918-peoples-tactic.html *****

The Formation.
View attachment 372303

It's a basic 4-2-2.
Primarily I've focused on the defending aspect of the tactic, that was the key to Atletico's success last season.
Secondly I focused on Diego Costa's role as a Poacher with David Villa/Garcia's role as a 'False Target Man'.
The midfielders haven't been focused on that much but they seem to fit in to the tactic really well, with the wingers setting up a lot of chances and the centre mids keeping the teams shape it's working.

Individual Training.

Positional.
(Train Raul Garcia as a ST)
View attachment 372302
Focus.
View attachment 372301

Team training - (Optional) I left mine to the Assistant Manager.

Opposition instructions.
Closing down - Always (Every player)
Tight marking - Always (Every player)

PPM's
Fullbacks - Runs with ball down flank, gets forward whenever possible, hugs touchline.

Wingers - Places shots, moves into channels.

Strikers - Places shots, plays short simple passes, tries first time shots, moves into channels.

Game types.
Bigger opponent - Switch mentality to counter or contain.
Similar opponent - Switch mentality to counter or leave as control.
Smaller opponent - Switch mentality to attacking or leave as control.

It's key that you switch the mentality at the right times, for example if you're playing well but not creating many switch to counter, if you're expected to lose switch to contain, You'll notice the difference when switching and it's vital you keep your eye on how the team are playing.

Once again this tactic is solely based on Atletico Madrid, I've spent a lot of time researching the style of play and implemented it into FM as best i can.

Download & leave feedback.

Results will follow soon.

Atl?tico Madrid CM's.tac - Speedy Share - upload your files here

Last edited:
Been waiting for this, thanks! Going to use it on my Norwich save (holidayed until 2023, decent squad... very balanced Premier League) Should have my first season results soon!

Hi! I?m gonna test this out with Ajax! :) I have some questions though, What kind of players do you look for in the winger roles? Left footed on amr and right on aml? And in the striker roles? And the final question, is the opposition intrusticons already in the tactic or do i have to put them in myself? :)

Last edited:
Hi! I?m gonna test this out with Ajax! :) I have some questions though, What kind of players do you look for in the winger roles? Left footed on amr and right on aml? And in the striker roles? And the final question, is the opposition intrusticons already in the tactic or do i have to put them in myself? :)

Generally i use left foot on left wing/right foot on right wing. Striker role main attribute heading, Costa scored a load of headers for me.

OI's are already set depending on the oppositions formation, set to mark / close down all players.

Generally i use left foot on left wing/right foot on right wing. Striker role main attribute heading, Costa scored a load of headers for me.

OI's are already set depending on the oppositions formation, set to mark / close down all players.

Ok thanx! So heading for both strikers? :) should i train all strikers as treqartista, it looks like it on your screenshots! :)

Ok thanx! So heading for both strikers? :) should i train all strikers as treqartista, it looks like it on your screenshots! :)

I use a skillful player in the Trequartista role, it's up to you though.

Train as either Poacher or Trequartista.

Let me know how it goes mate

great results. I do not understand why so little interest in the subject and the same tactic? you are using this tactic? you share further results?

going to give it a go now! wondering why so little views and comments

hey.Can u recommend me some good players to buy in addition to the squad for this tactic?Maybe some replacement for Villa,Sosa?

Last edited:
Back