dhurley

Reaction score
Basically i've tried many times to get a long ball tactic to work, one that pumps long balls into the box that the tall striker can get on the end of. Think of Tony Pulis at Stoke or even West Ham with Carroll upfront and Nolan just behind him. I've tried many formations but never had success.

Anyone tried to do this with success?

Basically i've tried many times to get a long ball tactic to work, one that pumps long balls into the box that the tall striker can get on the end of. Think of Tony Pulis at Stoke or even West Ham with Carroll upfront and Nolan just behind him. I've tried many formations but never had success.

long ball tactics are dinosaurs tactics and should never be used this is why teams like Stoke, WHU and even my team Newcastle have failed every season.

but if you want to utilize a very good tactic based on a TM check out the way Man City play or even Arsenal play with there strikers being TM like Giroud and Negredo and how they utilize them

long ball tactics are dinosaurs tactics and should never be used this is why teams like Stoke, WHU and even my team Newcastle have failed every season.

but if you want to utilize a very good tactic based on a TM check out the way Man City play or even Arsenal play with there strikers being TM like Giroud and Negredo and how they utilize them

Yeah i suppose you're right on that one, can't recall a team that plays like West Ham being successful. And i've tried to use a target man a few times but i can never seem to get success with it. i sold Benteke on my Villa save for 35m and got Cornelius and tried him as a target man with crosses onto him but didn't work

any idea how to setup a tactic like this :
1)more long ball more direct at the right,i got new beckham here.Pass long ball from any here on the pitch.
2)more short pass at the
left,more pass & move.may be more run with ball,more taka-tika at the left.

direct or route one at the right,taka-tika at the left.

any idea ?

Last edited:
any idea how to setup a tactic like this :
1)more long ball more direct at the right,i got new beckham here.Pass long ball from any here on the pitch.
2)more short pass at the
left,more pass & move.may be more run with ball,more taka-tika at the left.

direct or route one at the right,taka-tika at the left.

any idea ?
You mean different styles for different sides of the pitch?

I think it's theoretically possible. Set up player instructions for each players on different sides etc. Not sure though.

You mean different styles for different sides of the pitch?

I think it's theoretically possible. Set up player instructions for each players on different sides etc. Not sure though.

yes,different styles for different sides of the pitch.
i can't find any tactic like this on the web.

yes,different styles for different sides of the pitch.
i can't find any tactic like this on the web.

because there won't be one, using one side as direct,long passing and the other side short passing would not fit well to any tactic, but if you did want to try it out I would recommend using a 4-4-2 style tactic to approach this technique

because there won't be one, using one side as direct,long passing and the other side short passing would not fit well to any tactic, but if you did want to try it out I would recommend using a 4-4-2 style tactic to approach this technique

ya,need more test for this.

may be cancel team instructions for passing style.
add player instructions direct or short for every player.

or,

team instructions short passing.But only 2 player,right Winger & right FB player instructions "more direct passing".

team instructions short passing,doen't means 100% short pass.
player still make some direct pass,may be 10 short,1 direct.

i testing this style on my save,years 2023
4231 formation,1 DM,1 DLP,1 WM,1 IF,1 SS,1 TM.
work well so far...

Last edited:
Yeah i suppose you're right on that one, can't recall a team that plays like West Ham being successful. And i've tried to use a target man a few times but i can never seem to get success with it. i sold Benteke on my Villa save for 35m and got Cornelius and tried him as a target man with crosses onto him but didn't work

You should watch a bi SL Benfica from Portugal, they play with cardozo as a TM, gaitan, salvio as wingers crossing all the time from the end of the line to the center, he just has to jump and finish it, this can actualy work, just be sure that u play always down to the flanks with cross often to center, fullbacks cross earlyer, direct pass...and so on...

Try building a tactic off of Mr Langvatn's 7-2-1 Counter Ninja's, but instead of having 2 (DM's I'm assuming) switch one of those 2 to a Strikers, or 2 Winged Strikers with one center AM. Set , essentially you would be running something like a 7-1-2 or 6-1-3 (I feel it is important to have some mid-field presence, albeit a supporting DM, with maybe an attacking fullback). Run your team almost exclusive in counter or defensive. Your two Strikers will have to have "gets forward whenever possible" & "Tries to Beat Offside Trap".