Do staff attributes matter?

woodie

Reaction score
I have a question that I would like people's thoughts on, everyone is always wanting to get the best staff on Football Manager, but does their attributes really matter? Do players learn a tactic faster if the tactical coach has better tactical coaching attributes? Same with attacking and defending coaches will your team be better in those areas? If you have all of your coaches have fantastic attributes for defending using the same tactic would you keep more clean sheets, or would a young players defensive attributes improve faster?

Also when it come to scouts, is there a difference between what a bad scout would come back with over a excellent scout. I struggle to see the differences when I am in a save. If the results are not really noticeable does it even matter, should Sports Interactive make it more important. If I scout a young player and my scout has really bad scouting potential ability of 10 he still seems to come back with the correct recommendation which in theory should come back 50/50 in terms of him being right.

These are question i have in my head every year but i don't know how to find the answers. I would appreciate any comments or view points on this matter and if anyone could get evidence of outcomes to some sort of experiment. Thank you for reading and any reply's i may receive.

To answer the title - Yes they matter.

There are so many variables in play with training and developing youngsters though that the caches effectiveness can be difficult to pin down. However, as I am sure you are aware, it's not just their preferred formation and category attribute, but also the DDMs - Determination, Discipline, Motivation. Add to the mix the player personalities (professionalism, ambition etc) and the whole thing becomes fluid to the extreme.

So the effectiveness of the coach is based n their coach attribute + DDM (+Working with Youngsters if used as youth coach) and the effectiveness of the coaching he gives depends on the player's willingness to learn.

In general, a youngster will improve faster and reach is PA or near PA with a coaching team with high specia;ity attribute + DDM + WWY
Your first team the same (WWY less relevant)

Training in FM19 underwent a huge revamp, for the better IMHO, and you can be far more creative in the training module now so be aware of the coaches skillset when designing the routines/schedules.

In Scouting again, the quality and depth of the reports differ. Much of the 'knowledge' is factual based so I have always assumed the scout's attribute doesn;t really affect this - contract/wage/games played etc. Lower attribute scouts, who watch a player for say, one game, will produce reports with less depth than a higher rated scout. In terms of predicting CA and PA I reckon, from my own observation, there is probably a +/- one star variance from a poor scout to a top scout. SO a CA 10 scout will take longer to produce the same report as a CA20 scout, even though the actual content might be more or less accurate.

I hope that helps - that's my take on your OP .

Of course, for scouting, I would like to see a Bielsa approach added to the game, with 'Covert Skills' being added to the scouting attributes, and 'Camouflage' s they can hide in the bushes and not get caught.

Last edited:
Short answer: ****** **** YES. Also personality is HUGE important (especially youth coaches)