Does tight marking and closing down- effect pressing?

maxy67

Reaction score
Was wondering if you put tight marking, and closing down to the whole pitch, does this effect your teams ability to press and get the ball back?

I was thinking- Barcelona are so effective at getting the ball back and its one of the reasons for their success. Can you implement this in FM or does the game engine not support this?

Thanks

I always have closing down and tight marking for every player with medium or hard tackling. It doesn't hunt down in packs but it really presses and marks the space. as for man marking/zonal marking. Man marking for me (what i have noticed) means a player will track back and defend. Zonal marking means they will only mark in their space and then leave it when the ball leaves. I assume having man marking for pretty much everyone will help that. I'm considering making a tactic with only 1 cb with a whole line of 4 players (2 WB and 2 DMs) to see whether I can implement this hunting in packs Barcelona winning back style. Don't know whether it would work though.

I always have closing down and tight marking for every player with medium or hard tackling. It doesn't hunt down in packs but it really presses and marks the space. as for man marking/zonal marking. Man marking for me (what i have noticed) means a player will track back and defend. Zonal marking means they will only mark in their space and then leave it when the ball leaves. I assume having man marking for pretty much everyone will help that. I'm considering making a tactic with only 1 cb with a whole line of 4 players (2 WB and 2 DMs) to see whether I can implement this hunting in packs Barcelona winning back style. Don't know whether it would work though.

My thinking exactly, I'm trying to make the tactic of the hungary team of the 50's and its mainly attacking players (a 3-3-4) so i want to win the ball back higher up the field, and attack again. Thanks for the reply, that pretty much answers my question completely.

My thinking exactly, I'm trying to make the tactic of the hungary team of the 50's and its mainly attacking players (a 3-3-4) so i want to win the ball back higher up the field, and attack again. Thanks for the reply, that pretty much answers my question completely.

Having 4 attackers closing down should hassle the back 4 which will force errors in their passing, hence force the opposition defence (who are presumably poor at passing) to have an even lower pass completion rate which forces them to turn over possession to you more often. If you do it right, in principle it could work.

This is not quite what you were asking for, of course, but I've managed to get this formation to work at least for the Athletic Bilbao team v their reserves. I suppose that it shows that closing down in packs can work well for possession! Anyway a lot more formation changes/instruction changes will be needed if such formation is to be perfected but what your trying to do seems possible.

athleticclubtacticsover.png

athleticvbilbaoathstats.png

This is not quite what you were asking for, of course, but I've managed to get this formation to work at least for the Athletic Bilbao team v their reserves. I suppose that it shows that closing down in packs can work well for possession! Anyway a lot more formation changes/instruction changes will be needed if such formation is to be perfected but what your trying to do seems possible.

athleticclubtacticsover.png

athleticvbilbaoathstats.png

Very Interesting!! If that formation works, then I think you'll have the most interesting tactic on here.

Very Interesting!! If that formation works, then I think you'll have the most interesting tactic on here.

It may work. Way too early to tell. I changed one of the DM's to a CM and centralised the DM. All of the CMs and DMs have my favourite DM player instruction. Seems to work okay. Just beat Rayo 4-1 in the first league game creating 6 CCC's but conceded 2 CCC's (one of them was their goal which was basically a rebound off a save my keeper made unfortunately!)