Dominating, but still losing ? What can be done about this ?

Steaua went for a tactic to soak your pressure making it into frustration of your players so they'd take a load of low quality shots (even if a shot goes on target it may still be low quality) and then hope to get a few chances in the counter or set pieces, taking advantage of slips of concentration of goalkeeper or defence from their lack of work to do.

So, without seeing the game there are two different ways in which your attack may have succumbed to their defence:

A) You asked your players to play very fast and direct in the hopes of getting there before their defence was set. In that case, their defensive transition was very good and simply fast tempo wasn't working: your players found the defence already formed and then, because of the high tempo asked of them, they were trying too much to look for offensive play and either lacked spaces for playign the ball forward and rushed into hopeful long shots or tried to play killer balls when the striker was not yet in position to take advantage of it, shooting with the defender on top of them and preventing them from taking good aim or enough power to their shots. If it was that: lower your tempo. Possibly set some player(s) to be less offensive, as to give the player with the ball more options for passes that retain possession in wait for the proper chance for the killer ball. I'd say this is the more likely.

B) You wanted to play a possession game and used a too low tempo to retain possession. Your players never had a chance to catch their defence disorganized. Then your players, who might not have the proper attributes to be patient with the ball, were too hasty despite your instructions and ended trying premature killer balls or taking hopeful long shots like in A. In that case the problem is you don't have an squad truly suited to that style and you'd need to take that into account and opt for a fast tempo to get the ball up before your opponent can organize their defence. I'm not sure what attributes you'd want to look for in order for a squad to have the patience for that, I would imagine high decisions, high team work, low aggression. This I know: FM12's Torino squad of the first season was one with high patience to build their attacks.

Defensively, the issue would be with their counter attacks. Playing like that usually means they just pump the ball forward in the hopes of one of their strikers to get the back of your defenders and get alone against your goalkeeper. For that, the first thing could be to make your defensive line to be lower, another thing would be what route is used by the other team to try get the ball to their striker and if there's a player who's left unmarked in your attacks, make one of the players who runs higher up the pitch to stay back to keep tabs on that player.

Wait till next patch, or FM15.

It wont be fixed, as there isnt really anything to fix, thats just football manager sometimes there are games your just not gonna win.
Those stats tell me Steaua parked the bus and got lucky on the counter attack.

It wont be fixed, as there isnt really anything to fix, thats just football manager sometimes there are games your just not gonna win.
Those stats tell me Steaua parked the bus and got lucky on the counter attack.

Hummm, it seems you know more than SI itself since it has recognized several bugs to be fixed.

Hummm, it seems you know more than SI itself since it has recognized several bugs to be fixed.
I was talking specifically about his situation of dominating a game and not winning, thats not a bug. It happens on all football managers I've played and in real life.

Show us detailed stats, like CCC? When you dominate, it's easy for opposition to create chances on the counter. Also, your tactic?

Last edited:
Try dominating a game against Juventus (with Conte as manager), they're absolutely deadly on the counter, I mean, way too clinical. Dominating game doesn't always work, since you played with Chelsea I'll give you an example, Chelsea 0-0 West Ham, 39 shots to 1, West Ham's shot was on target and Cech saved the day. Still it was a sitter but the west ham player missed.

When you dominate possession/game, one usually plays high line and "hassle opponents", pressing. It's easily exploitable on the counter. I'll give you another example, Chelsea - Man City, City dominated the possession and the match, but Chelsea caught them on the counter a fair few times.

But in matches like this you can't play Counter-Attacking because that'll produce a stalemate, no one will attack. Be careful when playing, have a player on cover duty if you play a high line and so on. Last time I played Juve it was a stalemate since I didn't venture forward afraid of being caught on the counter, this time I played counter smartly and result > http://i.imgur.com/x6NQopg.png

The point is, not every game can be won with same tactic, it is NOT a bug.

Last edited:
Try dominating a game against Juventus (with Conte as manager), they're absolutely deadly on the counter, I mean, way too clinical. Dominating game doesn't always work, since you played with Chelsea I'll give you an example, Chelsea 0-0 West Ham, 39 shots to 1, West Ham's shot was on target and Cech saved the day. Still it was a sitter but the west ham player missed.

When you dominate possession/game, one usually plays high line and "hassle opponents", pressing. It's easily exploitable on the counter. I'll give you another example, Chelsea - Man City, City dominated the possession and the match, but Chelsea caught them on the counter a fair we times.

But in matches like this, you can't play Counter-Attacking because that'll produce a stalemate, no one will attack. Be careful when playing, have a player on cover duty if you play a high line and so on. Last time I played Juve it was a stalemate since I didn't venture forward afraid of being caught on the counter, this time I played counter smartly and result > http://i.imgur.com/x6NQopg.png

The point is, not every game can be won with same tactic, it is NOT a bug.
well said