Don't care for scoring goals. Help with a defensively solid tactic.

ajdedinamo

Reaction score
Hay FMbase. I'm currently playing in the Blue Square South with stockport and wanted to build a defensively solid tactic. My own football philosophy is based around a solid back four. I care not for possession, the other team can hold the ball for as long as they like, as long as they don't score of course.

I want the formation to be able to give the opposition space while they are in possession to commit players forward. As soon as we win the ball, the ball must be flung forward with urgency to the wingers to be able to take advantage of the space created by the committed opposition players.

Although, I'm not sure of what I want the players to do when the counter attack is not on. I am a fan of the lone striker formations like the 4-1-2-2(wide)-1 or 4-2(deep)-3-1.

Awaiting everyone's thoughts.
Thanks in advance.

Why would you not want to score goals?
And why can't you make the tactic yourself.. as you say, you like counter, you can use one of those formations, whatever suits your players (you know better than us).
Generally for defensive tactics, use: Drop (much) deeper, more direct passing, lower tempo, get stuck in.

Why would you not want to score goals?
And why can't you make the tactic yourself.. as you say, you like counter, you can use one of those formations, whatever suits your players (you know better than us).
Generally for defensive tactics, use: Drop (much) deeper, more direct passing, lower tempo, get stuck in.

I kind of worded that wrong I guess. Still would like to score goals. But I don't mind scoring an average of only one or two a game. As long as I don't concede as many.

I kind of worded that wrong I guess. Still would like to score goals. But I don't mind scoring an average of only one or two a game. As long as I don't concede as many.
Okay. But still, kind of hard to make a tactic for someone, when you don't know their team, and team-strengths and weaknesses. Why don't you try yourself?