Don't forget the value of foreign legion – just look at Jack Wilshere

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 845

Mike.

Reaction score
Don't forget the value of foreign legion – just look at Jack Wilshere
The influence of Arsène Wenger and Cesc Fábregas on Arsenal midfielder shows how the overseas influx has helped our game

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/apr/02/jack-wilshere-foreign-legion-secret-footballer

The Secret Footballer
The Guardian, Saturday 2 April 2011
Article history

Training started late on Thursday because we had to wait for one of the lads, who failed to turn up on time. It's not the first incident of this kind and certainly won't be the last. It has developed into a bit of a ritual that everyone, including the manager, has come to accept, on the basis that the foreign player in question has a "laid-back nature that comes with his culture". This terrible stereotype means he can't arrive when he should. At least that's the theory.

Foreigners. They come over here taking our jobs, refuse to speak more than one hundred words of the Queen's and fill up the majority of places in Premier League squads. Worst of all, they block our young English talent from coming through and, in turn, cause our national team to stagnate. Before those of you with right-wing tendencies get too excited, allow me to tell you what I really think of the foreign invasion because I'm not buying into any of the above. Well, maybe the lateness.

Any time I'm asked about "the Foreign Element" destroying England's prospects, I find myself in what Joseph Heller chose to call Catch-22. This is because I have a desire to see England win a major tournament but I also see the benefits foreign players have brought.

In the end I have refined the following theory: first, have our current England squad learnt more and become better from playing with and against foreign players and under foreign coaches? Yes, I would suggest. Second, if foreign players were excluded from the Premier League would the 300 or so English players that would have filled their boots brought more to the table than what the current squad have learnt from the foreign influx? No, I don't think so.

It's worth recalling Sir Alex Ferguson's comments about Eric Cantona: "Many people have justifiably acclaimed Cantona as a catalyst who had a crucial impact on our successes while he was with the club but nothing he did in matches meant more than the way he opened my eyes to the indispensability of practice; practice makes the player." No surprise, then, that the British players who were on hand to witness Cantona, such as Giggs, Beckham, Scholes and the Nevilles, have gone on to play at the highest standard for so long.

And then there is Arsène Wenger. Tony Adams attributes the success he enjoyed in the latter part of his career to the Frenchman, who set about changing the Arsenal captain's lifestyle for the better. Before Cantona and Wenger, extra training usually revolved around "The Tuesday Club", a collection of heavy drinkers comprised almost exclusively of British players. And that happened up and down the country.

Of course, not every foreign player has lit up English football like Cantona and not every foreign manager has had the same impact as Wenger but I will always count myself fortunate to play in an era where so many different nationalities and cultures make up the team I'm part of.

I have learnt a huge amount that has changed both my philosophy on the pitch and my outlook on life. Perhaps more importantly, I have made some lifelong friends, like the Scandinavian I've known for so long that I forgot he wasn't English once when I lamented those clubs that automatically look overseas for talent rather than try to develop their own.

Those that do come over are generally embraced by their new team-mates, who appreciate how difficult it must be. Sometimes, though, the door is firmly shut by a foreign clique within the squad. This was true of a group of French players I played with at one club who were not interested in communicating with anybody else. Whenever they spoke in French around the training ground one of the English lads would shout: "English only, please." It felt like a fair point, although it would also have been interesting to see if that same person would have learnt French were he signed by PSG. I suspect not.

The good, though, far outweighs the bad when it comes to overseas players. I have played with centre-halves who saw being part of the back four as a starting point for an attack rather than the last line of defence. And there was a striker who refused to move unless the pass went exactly where he wanted it – something that was the subject of many arguments in the changing room when he first arrived until it was decided that actually it would be in everybody's interests if we did in fact pass the ball exactly where he wanted it. He wasn't the lazy foreigner we had him down for; he was simply demanding higher standards of those around him.

It is, however, the midfielders who have really impressed me. From knowing when to run, when to play a pass and when to dribble – their decision-making, which is 75% of the game at the highest level (thereafter it is simply the fruits of practice), continues to dazzle me. Players such as Luka Modric, Cesc Fábregas and, when he was here, Xabi Alonso, epitomise all of these traits.

And we are learning. Look at Jack Wilshere. Here is a player who I believe can change the direction of English football. Wilshere, as he matures and continues to learn from two fantastic foreign mentors in Fábregas and Wenger, can become England's Xavi Hernández. No pressure then, Jack.

The England squad may not feel the fruits of these coalitions for a little while longer yet but the green shoots are appearing. Today the by-product of the foreign invasion is staring our brightest young talent square in the face; it's just a shame that some elements of our society remain blind to it.

If only they could slip on a pair of old boots and experience the camaraderie of a modern-day dressing room and the standard out on the training pitch, they might just begin to see the potential impact that this culturally diverse mix of talent may offer their national team. Then again, there is probably more chance of my team‑mate arriving on time.

Read this earlier. It's very true.

There's a reason why foreign countries have been so successful in modern times, and it's only right to look at their success and nurture our future stars with our best features (physicality, drive, passion etc) with their technical ability and more modern tactical approaches.

Very good article.

Agree 100% with this article. Superb.

& it's clearly a Liverpool player, because of how they talk about Xabi Alonso, and i'll presume the 'lazy' striker is Fernando Torres.
Just a question of which player is it? Probably Stevie or Carra?

Agree 100% with this article. Superb.

& it's clearly a Liverpool player, because of how they talk about Xabi Alonso, and i'll presume the 'lazy' striker is Fernando Torres.
Just a question of which player is it? Probably Stevie or Carra?
If it's the same guy writing all the articles then it's definitely not Gerrard or Carragher, this guy's had multiple clubs.
Not sure how praising Xabi alonso means it's clearly a liverpool player either. He also praises Modric and Fabregas.

It doesnt even matter who it is anyway

If it's the same guy writing all the articles then it's definitely not Gerrard or Carragher, this guy's had multiple clubs.
Not sure how praising Xabi alonso means it's clearly a liverpool player either. He also praises Modric and Fabregas.

yeah, i know. I mis-read it...

He is either a former pool player or a former Arsenal player, where else was there such an influx of French players in the Premier League? I also suspect it's a former/ Liverpool player, I've read similar things about there being a French clique in the Houllier years. Et bon j'habite en France, et ça ne m'étonne pas du tout...

Well he speaks the truth, and all in all, it doesn't really matter who he is. I'm dieing to know, anyhow

Oh right.

I've been hearing 'the secret footballer' is Danny Murphy which explains the Liverpool love affair.

Who knows though.

Well he speaks the truth, and all in all, it doesn't really matter who he is. I'm dieing to know, anyhow

we wont know unless he stops though, otherwise how can he enlighten us without dropping other people in it

he is bang on though, instead of turning our nose up, we could learn a lot from the continent , and mix it with the things we do well, Rooney and Wilshere are two examples of the best of both worlds

Oh right.

I've been hearing 'the secret footballer' is Danny Murphy which explains the Liverpool love affair.

Who knows though.

I've seen some of the articles he's written publicly and the quality compared to these is pretty poor. But still, he'd be my guess.

Very good article. Don't really care who the "Secret Footballer" is, as long as we get quality, well thought out articles from said person.

It has to be a former/current Liverpool, Fulham or maybe Southampton player. He talks about a Scandinavian player that he'd known for so long that he forgot he was foreign. Perhaps Hyypia or Niemi? Danny Murphy fits the profile....

He's spot on though, and I find all of these articles fascinating. It is certainly interesting reading things from a player's point of view.

Back