Do's and Don'ts of FM15

maxchaplin55

Reaction score
I thought I'd start this thread, as I haven't seen one before, and I feel if people actually contributed, we could genuinely help the community and get a good thing going here.

It's an idea. Post literally anything, which you know full well that 100% works or doesn't work on FM15, or maybe previous FMs but has no reason not to work on FM15.

I feel this would help tweak the most experienced players tactics, help newbies learn from other peoples mistakes before making them themselves.

And just in general help people see things in a different light.

Please contribute, thanks!

DONT - Leave the stock defensive marking settings for Corners and set pieces, I conceded loads of goals this way.

DONT - Leave the stock defensive marking settings for Corners and set pieces, I conceded loads of goals this way.

True this, and also in addition to this comment, found it better to zonally mark the 6 yard box instead of man mark, and have a smallish player chase down the corner to eliminate drilled corners to near post.

As far as i've tested do not go with a 3 man defence. 4 man is bad enough.
Open to be proven wrong but have tried w/ 3 teams all ending disastrously

From what I've seen don't use the new wide playmaker role they don't do much, might just be me though has anyone done well with them?

As far as i've tested do not go with a 3 man defence. 4 man is bad enough.
Open to be proven wrong but have tried w/ 3 teams all ending disastrously

I have also tried, I think it maybe best to wait til the next update comes out, hopefully crossing may get toned down abit, along with own goals and CBs marking.

From what I've seen don't use the new wide playmaker role they don't do much, might just be me though has anyone done well with them?

I can only see it benefitting any tactic if you want to time-waste, or just simply retain possession. I personally want my wide players to get down the wing and cross the ball, or to cut inside and create chances. I feel playmakers should mostly be in the centre of the pitch.

I can only see it benefitting any tactic if you want to time-waste, or just simply retain possession. I personally want my wide players to get down the wing and cross the ball, or to cut inside and create chances. I feel playmakers should mostly be in the centre of the pitch.

I was trying to retain possession with them coming inside and creating chances(making them hard to pick up for defenders) and then overlapping wing backs give the width but they just didn't come inside enough so never really worked for me. Best way I could describe it is like the way silva/Nasri play out wide for man city I was trying to do that but it just didn't work

I was trying to retain possession with them coming inside and creating chances(making them hard to pick up for defenders) and then overlapping wing backs give the width but they just didn't come inside enough so never really worked for me. Best way I could describe it is like the way silva/Nasri play out wide for man city I was trying to do that but it just didn't work

I'd probably suggest trying to recreate that role with either Inside Forward support or Winger support. And maybe selecting shorter passing for them and fewer risky passes or something?

Don't leak anything to the press - unless you are a club legend and have managed there for years and have at least a 70 percent win record! :D

No but seriously I just got sacked from United and I swore to myself this year I wouldn't revert back to a save if I got sacked so... time to find a new job/start new save. I managed at United for 3 years too with an excellent record (3 division titles, 2 capital one cups, 1 fa cup, 1 champions league runner up, 1 cl semi final, 3 manager of the year awards)

and I assembled a great squad (de Gea, Rafael, Jones, Balanta, Shaw, Romero, Kovacic, Pogba, Di Maria, Isco, Januzaj, Munir, Barbosa... just some of the world class players I developed/bought with a 9m wage budget after cutting rooney and falcao loose - I even got rid of Evans and fellaini... )

Last edited:

Well I've been doing this wrong. Any basics you could recommend for creating my own?

Well I've been doing this wrong. Any basics you could recommend for creating my own?

YES. Zonal marking with all your defenders, maybe only the ones with bad marking, but all of them seems to cut down goals conceded from corners.
Free Kicks just set 4 people in wall, one the stay forward, and the rest to "go back"

YES. Zonal marking with all your defenders, maybe only the ones with bad marking, but all of them seems to cut down goals conceded from corners.
Free Kicks just set 4 people in wall, one the stay forward, and the rest to "go back"

Can you send a screenshot?

Don't leak anything to the press - unless you are a club legend and have managed there for years and have at least a 70 percent win record! :D

No but seriously I just got sacked from United and I swore to myself this year I wouldn't revert back to a save if I got sacked so... time to find a new job/start new save. I managed at United for 3 years too with an excellent record (3 division titles, 2 capital one cups, 1 fa cup, 1 champions league runner up, 1 cl semi final, 3 manager of the year awards)

and I assembled a great squad (de Gea, Rafael, Jones, Balanta, Shaw, Romero, Kovacic, Pogba, Di Maria, Isco, Januzaj, Munir, Barbosa... just some of the world class players I developed/bought with a 9m wage budget after cutting rooney and falcao loose - I even got rid of Evans and fellaini... )

Agreed! NEVER LEAK TO PRESS!

I was sacked within 48 hours at my local club after not being able to sign more coaches

Agreed! NEVER LEAK TO PRESS!

I was sacked within 48 hours at my local club after not being able to sign more coaches

What? What did you leak exactly? Negative news? Can you leak positive news to help? Can you leak negative news about opponents? I'm terribly confused.

Usually if you ask the Board for something and they reject it... say if you request extra transfer funds and the tell you to f off you have a decision to leak it to the press. I've never attempted this as I have some common sense! Say the dumb squaddie haha!

Usually if you ask the Board for something and they reject it... say if you request extra transfer funds and the tell you to f off you have a decision to leak it to the press. I've never attempted this as I have some common sense! Say the dumb squaddie haha!

Totally agree. Why would you chose to publicly criticise a Club which you chose to manage, consequently putting your position in jeopardy?! Bizarre.

Totally agree. Why would you chose to publicly criticise a Club which you chose to manage, consequently putting your position in jeopardy?! Bizarre.

Because sometime, just sometimes it helps. If you're a club legend, and have a very good success rate, occasionally leaking to press will mean the Board will comply. It's rarely hit and mostly miss though.

Back