Early Goal almost always spells defeat

• Thread starter Thread starter mcmcmcly
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 2K

mcmcmcly

Reaction score
Anyone else noticed it is almost impossible to avoid a lopsided defeat when scoring a goal within the first 5 minutes of a match or so? Seems to happen to me quite frequently whether im dominating possession/chances or just got lucky in the opening minutes and am trying desperately to hold on.

Anyone have any tactical advice for holding on to an early lead?

Depends what team you're using. The bigger the team the easier it is to get back. On one of my saves, i pay as manchester united jst started a few weeks ago, still in my first season bout march now i think. When i been a goal or two or even 3 down at one point. At half time i just use aggressive/assertive to say how badly the team has performed and they usually respond really well and normally i get the win or at least the draw. However playing with nottingham forest players do react to it, but not always in a good way. they may get demotivated or makes no difference or just they play well but they dont seem to be able to put it in the back of the net.

I play very attacking football so i normally outscore the opponent. For holding on to an early lead against a big team or away game i normally use team stategy to control and use intructions: retain possesion, stay on feet, pass to feet, play wider. The stay on feet is probably not nessesary but i use it to minimise giving away silly fouls n therefore less likely to give away a silly set piece which the opponent could score from.

Use your team talk to make sure your players don't get complacent and make sure your defense and midfield have the stamina to go the full game otherwise you'll be more likely to concede late in the game.

Your team talks and tactics are going to matter. Playing in the BSP in my second season with FC Halifax and we won the FA Cup 1st Round against Grimsby after we went one down in the first minute. I used my team talks wisely, and tweaked tactics here and there to make it more attacking and we ended the match as 3-1 winners.

if I score a goal early, it is 99.99% a win.

Set your defense properly; deep line defense. man mark has one Ball winning mf

The most important thing is the HT team talk. Some players react better to

"I'm pleased- keep it up"

Whereas some will just lose focus if you say that and would react better to

"Don't get complacent"

If you're having problems, try telling them assertively (at home) or calmly (away) not to lose focus, and see if that helps :)

Have you got good concentration and determination stats for defensive players?
What age are your defensive players? Might need someone experienced.
Is your goal keeper commanding? Does he have any weaknesses being exploited?

Players might not have a winning mentality and will need telling before a game not to get complacent. That said, be very careful. If you're on a bad run, having a go at your players will only make matters worse, in which case use motivational and encouraging phrases. I say this because top players will mostly respond well, poor players get angry, become distressed or lose interest.

My Spurs save is a good example. I like to use plug and play as much as possible.

1st season defensive players were Friedel, Gomez, Walker, Vrisjalko, Dawson, Kaboul, King, Gallas, Essou Ekkotto and M'bengue. Overall the age was very young and back line made odd silly mistake. I definitely found concentraion a problem and late goals were coneeded.

2nd season, players a year older, more games played together. Bought Handanovic (Gk) and Mangane (CB). Results were amazing once players were used to tactics on prep screen. A brilliant keeper makes a huge difference. Friedel and Gomez are good, but Handanovic was saving things thay couldn't. Mangane added experience for a year, pulled up the avergae age of the back line and I believe this made a huge difference in not conceeding after scoring early on.

5th season in and though I only lose 2-3 games in all competitions, goals conceeded are slighlty higher. I believe this is because of the blooding of youngsters. Difference is that where as before I would draw/lose a game after going one up, I now concede late, but have already scored 4 or more goals!

I use the example above, because though people say tweak this, tweak that, it's really down to players and team talks. I'm using the same tactic 5 seasons in, but the results improve year on year as I get better players.

Back