Easier way to play?

Reaction score
ok ill try to piece this thread together instead since apparently im using a blacklisted word but it doesnt tell me which lol

edit: i've cut what i originally wanted to write into 3 pieces without changing any words, and now it's not complaining about blacklist or too many URLs anymore. Whatever. Next 3 posts contain what i wanted to ask.

Last edited:
I've tried and failed to get into an earlier version of FM. I loved to play Ascarons football manager game back then (1998, played the 1994 worldcup version lol), and i'm a football fan - but i'm no expert and don't wish to invest too much time into learning the game.

My frustration stems from being unable to figure out what on earth is making my team lose (or win) and if my changes actually did anything to the better or worse.
There is such an abundance of variables, i feel completly lost when i start a game. It's not better from the fact that i don't usually win without knowing why, but lose, starting with abysmal preseason friendlies.

Standard 442 assistant suggestions or a hand tailored formation based on player's position recommendation, putting the highest decision, passing and creativity guy in charge of playmaking and setting other roles accordingly and try to use shouts for quick fixes, none of it ever seems to DO anything for me?!

Is there a mode of playing the current FM that gets rid of some of the variables to show more direct, comprehensible and less elusive results?

Your team’s familiarity with the tactic you want to use is crucial if you want it to be successful. If your squad doesn't know how to play in your system, then how could your system possibly be successful? You can’t expect your squad to instantly learn how to play in your style, that would be outrageous. Gaining familiarity takes time...be patient.

The only way your team will become fully familiar with your tactical system; practice, practice, practice. When starting with a new tactical concept, make sure you set high training workload on learning the tactics in your match preparation, and make sure that you test them out in friendlies, otherwise your players can't learn how to play in your tactical system in a match situation. There is no other way, it just takes time and practice.

---

Firstly identify your teams strengths using the comparison section on team report... and play to your strengths.

A basic rule of thumb for tactics is to make sure there balanced!
ie. 442 Asymmetric Style

GK - Goalkeeper Defend
DR - Full Back Support
DL - Full Back Attack
DCR - Central Defender Defend
DCL - Central Defender Defend
DML - Defensive Midfielder Support
MCR - Central Midfielder Attack
AMR - Winger Attack
AML - Inside Forward Support
STR - Deep Lying Forward Support
STL - Advanced Forward Attack

You can see that I have a very well balanced formation with players covering each other...

Down Both Flanks:

If we look at the left flank, the Full Back joins the attack and provides natural width, with the Winger cutting inside to providing both support for the Full Back but also the Advanced Forward
Then, the right flank, The Full Back is only on Support as there is a natural winger in front of him, who will occupy the wing in the attacking third.

Through the Middle:
The defence partnership is standard and will hold firm and will do all that is necessary, but you notice the Defensive Midfielder is on the left side of the centre to cover the attacking full back on the left, and he also sits deeper allowing his central midfielder who is positioned to the right of centre to attack and provide move options for the advanced players, and he will act as the creative force.

Strikers:
This is again a basic setup, a partnership that is simple and was very popular in the days of 442. Think of Arsenal, United and so on.
Arsenal (Henry- advanced forward and Bergkamp - deep lying forward)
United (Dwight Yorke or Solskjaer - advanced forward and Andy Cole or Teddy Sheringham - deep lying forward)

I hope this helps, ask away if you have any questions (just remember to click reply with quote so I am notified)

bornexplorer88

Just a potential solution, have you thought about downloading a tactic from the tactics forum? You could potentially see how that tactic is working and what it's doing and go from there. It would also help you get to grips with other areas of the game easier without having to worry about micro managing your tactics.

Back