ellismcfc

Reaction score
ellismcfc's 4-3-3 bbm passing tactic

Just an early warning, THIS IS NOT A PLUG AND PLAY TACTIC. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR ONE, SAVE YOURSELF THE BOTHER AND STOP READING!

The Origins
I actually gained my inspiration for this tactic watching City lose to Cardiff and struggle to Hull. 2 games, yes I know, but we were dominated in midfield despite a world class pairing of Yaya Toure and Fernandinho. So I decided that a 3 man midfield would help our cause, and allow these 2 more freedom to push forward and do what they do best I guess.

I started a save with Arsenal and beat Liverpool 3-0 away, before my save became corrupted. However, it impressed me enough to use it in my challenge as England u21's manager, where I gained some decent results. I was a bit stupid and resigned, going for the senior team job, and failed, so started a save with Dortmund. I was 3rd in the league, in the CL knockouts, 6 points off Bayern in the league, having played a game more. For my pretty spectacular results, see below.

The tactic
View attachment 465097View attachment 465096So as you can see, the tactic is a 4-3-3 variant, with an attacking strategy and high line. There is some player instructions, so I wouldn't blindly copy it, pass it off as your own then expect it to work
smile.gif

Positions:
SK-A:
A sweeper keeper is expected to play a high line, have good acceleration, and sweep up the ball when the defence push up. Weidenfeller did a decent job, as did Jack Butland, but you can do better I reckon. Ter Stegen is probably the best going.

WB-S:
Both wing backs will need to be competent defensively and good going forward as they will provide another outlet on the wings when your wingers cut inside. Piszczek was brilliant for me, Schmelzer did okay. I'd think most modern day full backs would work.

CD-D:
This role is pretty much a standard centre back role. Will chip in with a few goals from set-pieces, so make sure they are decent in the air. Subotic was class in this role.

BPD-D:
Quite a tough role to find the perfect player for really, but at Dortmund I definitely had the perfect player for this role: Mats Hummels. He was unbelievable. Him and Kompany are probably the best in the business at this role.

DM-S:
This player acts as a BBM really, however sits deeper defensively and doesn't push forward as much. Will provide cover for the lads in front, and will also chip in with a few passes. Sven Bender and Nathan Chalobah were fantastic for me.

BBM-S:
The heartbeat of the team, will keep things ticking over, be great attacking from deep and will create lots of chances for the front men. NOTE: The 2 player roles are slightly different, the left hand side is more direct so I put the more direct player in there (Shelvey for England and Gundogan for Dortmund). The right hand side has shorter passing and is less direct. (Barkley for England and Marco Van Ginkel for Dortmund). Marco Van Ginkel is absolutely brilliant, thoroughly recommended. Van Ginkel's season stats below (all games were played for me):View attachment 465095

IF-S:
Again, both player roles are different, the left plays much less direct then the right, and moves into channels more. Both get a lot of goals and assists. I also see people saying you should play IFs on the wing opposite to their weaker foot, but I don't think it matters. Blacszczykowski was very good playing on the right, as was Reus on the left. Ince and Sterling did the job for me at England. Here are Reus' season stats (not all games were played under me):View attachment 465094

DLF-A:
Need a goalscorer. Can't really stress this enough, this will be the major outlet for goals in the team. Will play with their back to goal quite a lot, needs to be good techincally, finishing needs to be good, as does passing, and their positioning. Lewandowski was ridiculously good in this role, but so was Aubemyang, and Connor Wickham. Shame Lewandowski is leaving on a free:/ however, bought Benteke for ?14.75m to ease the blow slightly. Lewandowski's season stats below (again, not all games were played under me);View attachment 465093
Results:
Quite simply, brilliant. My results for England were all wins except 2 games, including wins away at Spain and Holland. My results with Dortmund were even more stunning, won the league coming from 6 points behind (having played a game more) on 18th January without losing in the league! Lots of CCCs, lots of goals, solid defensively and some lovely football was played. Results are attached below (note I joined Dortmund on 18th January, and I left England u21's after the Spain game):View attachment 465092View attachment 465091View attachment 465090View attachment 465089View attachment 465088View attachment 465087View attachment 465086View attachment 465085View attachment 465084View attachment 465083View attachment 465082View attachment 465081View attachment 465080View attachment 465079View attachment 465078View attachment 465077View attachment 465076View attachment 465075View attachment 465074View attachment 465073View attachment 465072

Recommended teams:
Just a few teams I'd recommended for this tactic: Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, Dortmund England, England u21's, Bayern Munich, Everton, AC Milan.

If you need any help choosing players to sign, where to play players, don't be afraid to ask! Enjoy:)

Download link:

ellismcfc's 4-3-3 bbm

Last edited:
As a part a part of a 'totaalvoebal' tactic im trying to create for fm14 ( while trying the theory in fm13 ) i have been experiencing a BBM midfielders myself, and my conclusion is, they aren't supportive enough to be truly powerful in the defense, and offense together. They offer balance, thats it. In the defense you fixed it by adding a DM, but your offense stays behind! Weaker teams might struggle, so therefore a simple solution is to split this tactic into a more offensive and more defensive, playing around with the 3rd midfelder and keeping the BBM.
This is just a thought for the mind for you to keep/experiment. Gl!

I disagree. If you look in the average positions area, they play very high up the pitch. They support the attackers well going forward and Van Ginkel got a decent amount of goals

Looks good going to try this one with Swansea will post results if i can midway through the season

OKay mate good luck! Need any help with team selections ask me:)

What do you look for in the 2 bbm`s an what do you mean with one being more direct than the other. I am not sure how to choose to play here.

Probably didn't explain it too well. The right sided cm's passing style is more direct then the left sided, and he makes more through balls and gets more assists. However, the left sided runs with the ball more, but has a short passing style. I found he keeps the play ticking over more, but the right hand side grabs more assists and goals

My testing save with this tactic broke during my second season, anyone else have any results to show?