• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 1K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Fulham are likely to fill the extra place in the Europa League which Uefa has awarded England as part of the Respect Fair Play rankings.

More...

We've had ten yellow cards in our last two games. Against Birmingham, all five yellow cards came after we went 2 nil up. It's pretty clear Hughes doesn't want to qualify for it but Spurs who are our closest rival in the fair play table look set to finish 5th so they will qualify for Europa anyway. I can see why Hughes doesn't want it as it ruins pre-season plans as it means starting the season much earlier and it ruins any potential squad clearout.

Quite happy to have another European tour myself though :)

Can see why people don't want the distraction of Europa place sometimes-can be a poisened chalice. And like already mentioned, can screw up plans for pre-season, and risks injuries to key players. But after the way Fulham tore through it before, be good for the fans I guess. Good luck to them if they get it. More British clubs in Europe the better.

I'd say Fulham deserve European football based on their 2011 form anyway. Hughes has done an excellent job this year, much like Pulis.

I look forward to jumping on the Fulham bandwagon again, hopefully this time after going to every home Europa game i will be able to get near some final tickets (if they get that far) instead of the club allowing season ticketers to buy 8 EACH.

im not quite sure how this would be a bad thing for Fulham. The done it last season and done ****** well and some of the best European games i watched that season involved Fulham. Not only does it help with the revinue (and pay for that woeful statue) it raises the profile of the club massivly and will help to bring in transfer targets.

wonder if this is guilt or somethin to do with uefa bribe scam (6)

What? Why would it be anything to do with guilt or bribes?

Every year an additional Europa League (same w UEFA Cup) place is given to the leagues/nations with the best "fair-play". Since Fulham are top of that in England (which itself must be in the top 3 or so nations), they will get that place.

@Jack - What? Blackpool are your closest competitors - 2 points ahead/behind (however you look at it) with 2 RCs but less YCs so if Fulham get a player or two sent off etc. in their last game, Blackpool can leapfrog them to get the place. I'm not sure whether they'd still get it if they were relegated, though. I assume they would since Brum (likely to be relegated, also have financial difficulties..) are guaranteed a spot...

im not quite sure how this would be a bad thing for Fulham. The done it last season and done ****** well and some of the best European games i watched that season involved Fulham. Not only does it help with the revinue (and pay for that woeful statue) it raises the profile of the club massivly and will help to bring in transfer targets.

Al Fayed payed for the statue, not the club.

What? Why would it be anything to do with guilt or bribes?

Every year an additional Europa League (same w UEFA Cup) place is given to the leagues/nations with the best "fair-play". Since Fulham are top of that in England (which itself must be in the top 3 or so nations), they will get that place.

@Jack - What? Blackpool are your closest competitors - 2 points ahead/behind (however you look at it) with 2 RCs but less YCs so if Fulham get a player or two sent off etc. in their last game, Blackpool can leapfrog them to get the place. I'm not sure whether they'd still get it if they were relegated, though. I assume they would since Brum (likely to be relegated, also have financial difficulties..) are guaranteed a spot...
was jokin lol cant wait to watch fulham in europe again cant remember boring game from there last campaign

Can't we get in :P? But I reckon Blackpool and Fulham deserve it more, cracking spirit and supporters.

Would be jokes if 2 championship teams were in EL next season.

"Neither Spurs nor Fulham seem that excited about the prospect of Europa League football next season," writes Julius Scott. "If they qualify, do they have to play in it?"

Do Tottenham and Fulham have to play in the Europa League? | The Knowledge | Football | guardian.co.uk

Short answer: No, with an if. Long answer: Yes, with a but. It's all a matter of the Uefa licence. In early spring clubs are invited by the FA to apply for a Uefa licence – essentially a piece of paper that confirms that a club's stadium is up to the job, that their finances are in order, that their vol-au-vents in the directors' box meet Uefa-approved standards, that sort of thing. In order to play in the Champions League or the Europa League clubs have to have a Uefa licence and the list of those who have applied and meet the criteria is sent off to Uefa in June.

A club not wanting to participate in Europe the following season, for whatever reason, therefore has a very simple get-out – just don't apply for a licence. In that case, should a club without a licence qualify in the Champions League or Europa League places then the spot drops one place down the league. Teams have been refused licences in the past, West Ham a few years ago for example, in which case the same rules apply. In short, no licence, no European football. More often than not, though, the FA receives the full 20 applications from Premier League teams.

Spurs and Fulham both have licences. And once you're in, you're in. There's nothing invitational about the Europa League. Although interestingly, in their regulations Uefa do make provision for a team with a licence refusing to play:

If a club refuses to enter the competition, having qualified for it on sporting merit and obtained a licence from the competent national body, no other club from the same national association may be entered in its place and the access list for the Uefa club competitions (Annex Ia) is rebalanced accordingly; furthermore, in such a case, the coefficient of the association concerned is calculated in accordance with the specific rule laid down in Annex II, point 6.

Which basically means that the country's coefficient takes a hit, with the points earned by, say, the six teams left in European competition being divided by seven.

Given the prestige and financial rewards involved, not to mention the pretty unenviable stigma that would accompany a refusal to play in Europe, it's an unlikely scenario – indeed an FA spokesman made the very fair point that, given that licence applications are due only a month or two before the season ends, then it would be a pretty stark volte-face if a licensed club then decided in May that European football was not for them. Uefa were pretty unequivocal when the Knowledge gave them a call. "Does a team who qualifies for the Europa League have to play in the competition?" we asked. "Yes," came the curt response down the line from Nyon.

I think we're more than happy to compete in the Europa league, the only issue Hughes and the players have is starting the season in late June/early July I think because the players won't be getting as much as expected. Hughes has came out and said this yesterday.

“If we get into the competition [Europa League] we’ll be delighted and we’ll try and progress as far as we can," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. “I think we’re very close but a lot of things have to fall into place before we can say we’re playing in Europe next season, but if we are, we’ll give it a go.

“We should embrace it, and if we’re in it, we’ll try our best to be successful. It’s a difficult competition to negotiate because of the time frame and the amount of games you have to play. If you want to progress you have to come back very early and start playing football almost immediately when you come back.”

Read more: European Opportunity

Back