Ash8

Reaction score
The New Golden Generation

The end of the Capello era
The FA had made promises to Fabio Capello that his role as manager of the England national team was safe even after the public calls for a new English manager to take the reigns. The pain of World cup failure again cut deep in the sides of the English fans , Mr Capello had offered so much but again the 'golden generation' had failed to produce the goods.

The Euro 2012 championships draw had taken place but Capello hadn't looked commutable as he sat in the audience waiting for the draw. The group had produced no real competition for his excellent ,yet underachieving squad but no emotion crossed his face. Deep inside he knew this wasn't him. The torment of the summer still kept him awake at night , the pressure put on his shoulders had been to much and now he was close to melt down. The constant linking of other managers to his position by the English media left Capello demoralised and the language barrier was still a stumbling point. It was only a matter of time before the inevitable happened...

The Sun - "Capello does a runner"
Telegraph - "England is not the place for me !"

The phone call
It was the phone call no one was expecting , especially Ashley Duffy. The now retired former striker hadn't involved himself in the game for a number of years ... well not on the pitch anyway. The badges had been taken and a brief stint as a coach at Southampton Football club had left him with some valuable lessons learnt but no managerial experience was expressed on his CV.

For the past few months Duffy had amused himself as a football journalist writing and presenting for different aspects of the media at the World cup and had watched as his country crumbled under the expectation its own people had put on it. He had wrote how the fans had booed and how Rooney and the others looked like shadows of themselves. After the world cup Duffy had returned home and watched on as Capello kept his role as manager , disappointing in his opinion.

However as the months moved swiftly by the pressure and pain of failure started to show and then it happened ... Capello quit. The celebrations within the British media were huge , the man who had promised so much and given so little was gone and the hope was again restored !

Now the only question was who ... who would be the next England Boss ?

Harry Redknapp , Roy Hodgson , Sam Allardyce were all linked but none of them got the job, Instead it was Duffy who received the call, plucked from obscurity the new man had no real track record. The media had a field day ... Jorno to Gaffer within days ... it was just madness. No reason was given to the media just that this man was patriotic , new his football and new what was best for the future of football in the country ... Lets just hope the FA are right ...

*this is my first attempt at something like this so constructive criticism would be more appreciated then completely negative , i know it gets a bit disjointed in the middle and isn't the strongest of story's but hopefully its something i can improve on.

Last edited: