Ever regretted selling a regen?

Mike

Like a glove!
Reaction score
I'm in the season 2020-21 and only a couple of years after starting my long term save I bought this fella: had a good scout report, so I thought I'd invest and got a small amount accepted. A few years later, he was sold for little over £6m (£5m profit) to Newcastle after he had had a successful year on loan at Pompey after an injury-dogged one in Leicester. I thought nothing of it as I had a few good regens coming through plus 2 first team centre backs, and his attributes were nothing special.

Just had a message come through in my inbox that he's had a dream move to Chelsea. And he looks like a great player now.

View attachment 175042 View attachment 175041

Ever had something similar, selling on a player you thought might have a decent career instead of a really good one?
pencil.png

Last edited:
yep, once i sold a regen for 600k cos I was trying to get rid of loads of people, now a starter for Barcelona and his ''Player Value' is £17M!

Signed this guy a few years into my game. He was decent, had a good scout report and fitted my tactic. I had loads of excellent regens in that position too, plus Javier Pastore ahead of him in the pecking order.

After 3 years of barely any appearances (refused to go out on loan), he passed 21 and I couldn't make room for him in my squad so decided to cash in. Trebled my earnings on him and thought nothing of it.

Saw this thread, went to check on him; BLAM!
View attachment 175043View attachment 175044

So, so, so gutted.

Signed this guy a few years into my game. He was decent, had a good scout report and fitted my tactic. I had loads of excellent regens in that position too, plus Javier Pastore ahead of him in the pecking order.

After 3 years of barely any appearances (refused to go out on loan), he passed 21 and I couldn't make room for him in my squad so decided to cash in. Trebled my earnings on him and thought nothing of it.

Ouch, star player now. His value isn't that high but it seems another good year and it might double.

Saw this thread, went to check on him; BLAM!
View attachment 175043View attachment 175044

So, so, so gutted.

lol he's epic dafty ;)

Since I use scouting tools it's rare that I regret selling one as I never get rid of my potential world class players. However, there has been one occasion where I, very noobishly, only placed a miniature release clause on his contract. He went for about 600k and I shrugged it off. Well, he ended up as Dortmund's most successful striker ever with 18 in vital stats like Finishing, Composure, Pace etc.

Actually, no. Never sold a regen that went on to do exceptionally well.

Actually, no. Never sold a regen that went on to do exceptionally well.

Lucky, I have a few but not outstanding, most probably mid-table teams like Aston Villa (sorry), Everton and the like.

Nope. Takes me a while to offload my regens, and when I do most have them have done nothing special at their new club. Sure plenty of clubs have regretted giving me their regens for peanuts though. ^.^

brazilian called toninho bought for 10 mill scored 3 goals in a whole season and begining of the next one sold him to bayern for 15 mill scored a consistent 25+ goals a season for like 4 years might russel up a screenie later but not sure if i still have the save

I remember on FM10 I had a young LW for southampton called Andrew Rowley, I had signed Lionel Messi and I didn't think I'd need him so I sold him to Man City for about £7 million, when I decided to sell my Right Winger, Alexis Sanchez to Atletico Madrid for £49 million, I then decided I needed a new LW as i'd play Messi on Rw, turned out Rowley had become the best left winger in the world and he cost me £24 million to get back and a LOT more wages.

I dont usually remember my regens. But back in FM 10 I sold a 17 yr old striker to Arsenal for 3M and about 5 years later he's ripping up the Premier League. I play in France though so I didn't have to face him.

Only thing I have regretted is moving clubs after signing a regen.. In the case, I left Sporting CP for Valencia and Leverkusen ended up buying 4 of the regens I had brought up at Sporting CP, they are now amongst the best in the game and Sporting CP have gone on to win the league like 4 times in a row whereas I failed to do that in 6 seasons of trying XD.

Just an update, I've just signed by guy back for £34M, breaking my transfer record in the process.. Although I've now found that another regen I once had who was "surplus to requirments" is now one of the best strikers in the world. FML.

View attachment 177041

Yeah i once cheaply sold first year GK regen who didnt seem to be developing much or doing that well. Then i went and spend 15m for one of wonderkids recomended by people. Think it was Thibaut Courtois

About two seasons later i noticed him playing as first GK in FC Porto - out of curiosity i used Genie Scout: turned out he had 198 PA and hidden attributes that were about 17 "consistency" 19 in "important matches".

With next few years he skyrocketed into best GK in the world, chain taking all the rewards. He never agreed to come playing for me again.

Bought this Italian lad for £5.5m when he was about 17, he was scoring at least 2 goals a game in the Under 18s; sold him as he was surplus to requirements (though he stepped in and played wonders when other were injured). Sadly, a deal had already been agreed by the time he was scoring, now look at him, the second best striker on the planet.. playing for Real Sociedad.